Running in 80 + Degree Weather

Barefoot Larry

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Ocean, NC
Now that the evening temperatures in my area are averaging in the 80s, I am having a hard time running 13 miles. I usually quit after 10 miles because of my energy going away. How is everyone else dealing with running in these temperatures? I carry a water belt with me with 4 bottles.

If I average 7:30 - 8:30 miles per minute in 70 degrees or below, is it normal to struggle at this pace when its 80 degrees plus outside? Or am I just getting old
aw.png
(I'm 46)

thankfully i had a coach when

thankfully i had a coach when i was younger who theorized that running in the heat of the day would make me faster in races as they were all in the morning and it was cooler. to this day i still love running in the heat. the hotter the better during the summer. for me i use water when i need it and gels on my longer training runs. it sounds like you're just going through the heat transition phase to me and you should start to get faster again as you get used to it.

the change in heat can slow you down and that's expected but i say keep plugging away and you'll get used to it pretty quick.

Temp got up to 100 here

Temp got up to 100 here today. It was 90 by 10:30 this morning. I don't know what the temp was when I headed out at 6am but as the day wore on I sure was glad I didn't wait until later to head out for a run.

I never adjusted to running

I never adjusted to running or doing other sports in the true heat, even as a teenager, so I join others in saying it's not age. My solution was moving to a part of Alaska where the 70s is a hot day. I realize that's not for everyone. :)

yeah, definitely not age.

yeah, definitely not age. But, a runner at any age can make the mistake of pushing harder to maintain pace when the temps get higher. Maintain pulse rate/perceived effort instead and just be confident that you're getting the same training effect. Internal temp is like the handbrake that gets pulled slowly as the ambient temps rise. It's just normal.

Yep, I'm slogging along here

Yep, I'm slogging along here too, my LSD is way slower than usual. I wored a 5k yesterday and watching my friends cross the finish line was surprising, they were all way over their normal times.

I've been focusing on just getting my mileage back up so I haven't paid much attention to time other than to notice it is taking me forever to get 5 miles done.

Yesterday I started running

Yesterday I started running at 1:30 pm for almost 2 hours, it was hot out. I usually set my pace by my heartrate for easy runs, yesterday I was at least 30 seconds per mile slower for the same heartrate...must be from the heat.

One water bottle wasn't enough for this run either..next time it will be two water bottles.

I had to run on the white lines a lot the last 3 miles also, hot pavement! I like running in the heat , I mostly run mid morning but do try to get out there at the hottest time of day now and then.

I am getting old as well, but

I am getting old as well, but for some reason I still like running in the hotness. I think it's because summers are so short where I live that I really indulge in the heat.

I wake up at 5:15am during the work week to run, on the weekend I will wake up between 6:30 - 7:00am to get my long run in. These hours solve any heat problems.

I got in a 10 miler today

I got in a 10 miler today because I won't have time the rest of the week and it was mighty toasty by the time I finished! I finished at about 1:20pm and it was around 86 degrees. The only thing saving me was lots of clouds so the pavement wasn't to intensly hot. When the sun would break through I could feel the increase in ground temp right away! I've got some hot spots (I sure hope they go away fast, I'm meeting BKB tomorrow!!)

BFwillie_g wrote:yeah,

BFwillie_g said:
yeah, definitely not age. But, a runner at any age can make the mistake of pushing harder to maintain pace when the temps get higher. Maintain pulse rate/perceived effort instead and just be confident that you're getting the same training effect. Internal temp is like the handbrake that gets pulled slowly as the ambient temps rise. It's just normal.

BF Willie, the handbrake analogy is awesome!

I agree! I also hate running

I agree! I also hate running on a very hot weather. Its really uncomfortable, good thing i have some my cool running gadget with me which helps me ease the hot weather i'm experiencing.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon