Running apps for your smartphone, Runkeeper et al...

ClintonVoris

Barefooters
Aug 22, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Hi gang,

I decided to join the 21st century, and put a running app onto my smartphone (I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, about two years old.) My daughter put 'Zombies Run!' on her iPhone, but she's hardly a 'runner' by any stretch of the imagination! I picked one called 'RunKeeper' out of Boston MA. Not sure how I chose that one, maybe it was at the top of a google search.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the free version of it. I've since customized a few features on it. I love the GPS feature. Super accurate! Does anybody else run with their smartphone? What apps do you use? Enquiring minds want to know...

Runkeeper.jpg

Hi ClintonVoris,
Personaly, I use micoach ( http://www.adidas.com/us/micoach ). Not because I would be an Adidas addict, but this app helped me to train and build a relevant training plan when I prepared my very first 10K (shod) a few years ago. It helps me to target and maintain a specific pace according the plan. After the training, I can also review the detailed record thanks the website.
I tried some other apps before and now keep this one.
Have a nice run. :)

I've used the free versions of both Strava and Runkeeper.

I'd started with Runkeeper, then switched to Strava, as it has a "Team Sharing" capability that can add your run/ride data to a designated team on their website, so you can see the progress of all the team members as well as overall - my company has a running group doing this, which is why I decided to try it. It also has nice large numbers on an easy to read display.

The past few weeks I've switched back to Runkeeper though. I like it better, as it has the audio queues you can set up so you don't have to keep looking at your phone to check your pace/distance/time and it also seems to be a bit better for GPS accuracy.

I use Endomondo. I also tried Strava for a bit. Originally I liked the layout and data presentation better on Endo, and for a small fee I could upgrade and avoid all the adds. Both Endo and Strava have changed drastically since when I started though, and perhaps both are equally as feature packed and user friendly now.

I think the accuracy greatly depends on your device, the software itself only effects the accuracy slightly. My phones gps receiver totally sucks, but for just tracking workouts I really don't care that much. Hiking in the mountains I'll take my dedicated hiking gps which is much more accurate.