Running apps for your smartphone, Runkeeper et al...

ClintonVoris

Barefooters
Aug 22, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Hi gang,

I decided to join the 21st century, and put a running app onto my smartphone (I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, about two years old.) My daughter put 'Zombies Run!' on her iPhone, but she's hardly a 'runner' by any stretch of the imagination! I picked one called 'RunKeeper' out of Boston MA. Not sure how I chose that one, maybe it was at the top of a google search.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the free version of it. I've since customized a few features on it. I love the GPS feature. Super accurate! Does anybody else run with their smartphone? What apps do you use? Enquiring minds want to know...

Runkeeper.jpg

Hi ClintonVoris,
Personaly, I use micoach ( http://www.adidas.com/us/micoach ). Not because I would be an Adidas addict, but this app helped me to train and build a relevant training plan when I prepared my very first 10K (shod) a few years ago. It helps me to target and maintain a specific pace according the plan. After the training, I can also review the detailed record thanks the website.
I tried some other apps before and now keep this one.
Have a nice run. :)

I've used the free versions of both Strava and Runkeeper.

I'd started with Runkeeper, then switched to Strava, as it has a "Team Sharing" capability that can add your run/ride data to a designated team on their website, so you can see the progress of all the team members as well as overall - my company has a running group doing this, which is why I decided to try it. It also has nice large numbers on an easy to read display.

The past few weeks I've switched back to Runkeeper though. I like it better, as it has the audio queues you can set up so you don't have to keep looking at your phone to check your pace/distance/time and it also seems to be a bit better for GPS accuracy.

I use Endomondo. I also tried Strava for a bit. Originally I liked the layout and data presentation better on Endo, and for a small fee I could upgrade and avoid all the adds. Both Endo and Strava have changed drastically since when I started though, and perhaps both are equally as feature packed and user friendly now.

I think the accuracy greatly depends on your device, the software itself only effects the accuracy slightly. My phones gps receiver totally sucks, but for just tracking workouts I really don't care that much. Hiking in the mountains I'll take my dedicated hiking gps which is much more accurate.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts