Run-walk-run: method or madness?

If run run far enough, run/walk strategies suddenly make a lot more sense. ;)
I can see that for (relatively) longer distances, or even in the middle of a sub-10-miler, with a little stretching thrown in too, but the Galloway method has a pretty radical walk-to-run ratio and frequency. And seems most replies so far have indicated that it ends up being too frustrating, even if there's a good logic behind it.

What Jen said.

I walk a lot. It really does not add that much time to your pace on the long runs. In my case slow is slow. One other time to walk is when you take a rock to the ball of your foot. If you walk a minute to let the pain subside, you're good to go. If you take a double rock shot to your foot, it takes a long time to recover.

Lee, check out the ITBS treads, they could help your recovery.

Reactions: happysongbird
What Jen said.

I walk a lot. It really does not add that much time to your pace on the long runs. In my case slow is slow. One other time to walk is when you take a rock to the ball of your foot. If you walk a minute to let the pain subside, you're good to go. If you take a double rock shot to your foot, it takes a long time to recover.

Lee, check out the ITBS treads, they could help your recovery.

If you kiss your foot right after you do that, it will make it feel better. Really. :D

Reactions: happysongbird
Make sure you have NO lateral weight shift. Only forward movement ;-)
Any tips for making sure there's no lateral weight shift? I have suspected that perhaps because I've been pushing the distance too much, the legs might be fatiguing cumulatively, leading to bad form, but I'm not sure what to do except reduce the distance and build up again more slowly, hoping with less fatigued legs my form will continue to be good.

Lee,

The key would be to learn to feel whether you have weight shift or not. Based on the feedback of itbs it is very likely that you have excess lateral weight shift. Do you feel lateral weight shift as you run currently? There are a number of drills that you could use inconjunction with running to help develope your awareness.

Lee,

The key would be to learn to feel whether you have weight shift or not. Based on the feedback of itbs it is very likely that you have excess lateral weight shift. Do you feel lateral weight shift as you run currently? There are a number of drills that you could use inconjunction with running to help develope your awareness.
No, I don't feel it at all. I have been feeling a bit sore in the glutes after the longer runs, so I'm assuming they just need more time to strengthen so that they can power longer. Basically, I'm isolating the variables that have changed--longer runs and greater weekly mileage, and possibly the introduction of squats in my weight routine the day prior--and suspecting those to be the cause, since I've never had ITBS on anything 5-6 miles or less, and ran 8 miles at 10mm without any problem the week before. My solution is simply to bring the distance per run and overall weekly mileage back down to where it was three weeks ago, and then begin building up again, but this time more slowly. I'm also going to use the compression wrap and foam roller, although I expect these will be more supplementary than primary in the healing process. I will also try stretching out the glutes more, although the Soc Doc, of course, recommends against this. I'm pretty good at listening to my body, as I've been doing this sort of thing for a long time--some thirty years--largely injury-free. Nonetheless, I would be interested in any drills you might suggest. I'm not ruling anything out.

Lee,

If you don't feel it you must first learn to feel before you could stop doing it. Otherwise you would naturally continue with the current habit. This is a time when video would be quite valuable. The camera does not lie. It will show you what is happening. Know you are reluctant still to do this but even if you watch it yourself you have the ability learn from it.

Lee,

If you don't feel it you must first learn to feel before you could stop doing it. Otherwise you would naturally continue with the current habit.
I will focus on trying to feel whether or not there is any weight shift, in conjunction with the other stuff I'm going to use. I've also been neglecting my stretching, and will get back to that. I place a lot of faith in that. Still, I suspect it's simply an overuse injury which time and patience will heal for the most part on their own (if I had trouble with lateral weight shift it probably would've showed up much earlier, perhaps years ago, right?). In fact, if I weren't so excited to get back out running (taking two whole days off has been murder!), I would simply rest it for a couple of weeks. That would be the prudent thing to do. In any case, I should get a much better idea of what I'm dealing with over the next few days. I take the fact that the knee doesn't hurt one bit when walking to be a very good sign. I would still appreciate hearing what sort of drills you recommend, and will try to shoot some video if I find I am able to run tomorrow. My hemp anklet arrives tomorrow and perhaps this will help too.

I had to stop and walk halfway through a 4 miler yesterday. Sure it was hot (95 degrees), and I was underfed/watered, but I blame this thread for telling me it was OK to walk instead of just running like a man.

So, in other words, thanks, thread, for keeping me from being stupid and hurting myself:)

:D Hahaha! Magical powers in those hemp anklets...
They say it's medicinal, who am I to doubt it? And in fact, it is used in amulets in my field area; we protected our daughter from witchcraft this way, tying a bit around her wrist, for her first year of life. I didn't see this therapy prescribed on any of the YouTube ITBS videos, but it's worth a shot, cuz I need to run again . . . soon, very soon.

I had to stop and walk halfway through a 4 miler yesterday. Sure it was hot (95 degrees), and I was underfed/watered, but I blame this thread for telling me it was OK to walk instead of just running like a man.

So, in other words, thanks, thread, for keeping me from being stupid and hurting myself:)
And I blame Zetti's marathon thread for giving me a b*ner for longer distances, which led to this thread, so blame/thank Zetti, not me/this thread, although I guess I/we added value along the distribution chain.

Reactions: NickW
Lee

"""Still, I suspect it's simply an overuse injury which time and patience will heal for the most part on their own (if I had trouble with lateral weight shift it probably would've showed up much earlier, perhaps years ago, right?""""

Yes, IF you stop doing what caused the problem/pain it will go away with time. Backing off is certainly a good idea but avoiding the cause will be key for your future goal of 10+ mile runs. If you are not aware of weight shift now it is very likely that you constantly have variations/inconsistency in your running form that manifests itself as normal the more you run and the more intense that you run.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7