Report w/e Oct 31

Janine, I would suggest you

Janine, I would suggest you do a SINGLE 10 next week and then cut back to 8 for the following two weeks. No more back to back long runs...

A trend I notice around the barefoot world that is NOT conducive to good race times is LOW weekly volume with like 50% or more of your mileage coming from the long run. This is NOT good training. The long run should not be more than 20% of your weekly mileage. Run more and less long. Unless you are training for a 100 mile race or something Up you weekly miles and keep the long run at or near 20%.

Barefoot Burt wrote:A trend I

Barefoot Burt said:
A trend I notice around the barefoot world that is NOT conducive to good race times is LOW weekly volume with like 50% or more of your mileage coming from the long run. This is NOT good training. The long run should not be more than 20% of your weekly mileage. Run more and less long. Unless you are training for a 100 mile race or something Up you weekly miles and keep the long run at or near 20%.

Nicely said, you couldn't be more correct

I have noticed this trend as well. I think people get caught up in the glory of barefoot running and instantly think they can become long distance runners in a short amount of time, hence why there are some many injuries in barefoot running, but that's another issue.

Burt and Adam your timing

Burt and Adam your timing rocks. I was just sitting around a couple days ago debating about how to add miles. I apparently decided wrong and was going to add them mostly to make my long runs longer basing it off shod programs. After hearing what you had to say I've changed my mind. Thanks!

Barefoot Burt wrote:Janine,

Barefoot Burt said:
Janine, I would suggest you do a SINGLE 10 next week and then cut back to 8 for the following two weeks. No more back to back long runs...

I agree but I think it's a general problem and not really a barefoot problem - I was much worse about it last year running shod. Don't think I run crazy like that every weekend. That was not a normal week for me at all - I ran the back to back ten milers really for no good reason except I was coming off being sick and I felt like it. My schedule is very constrained (4 ten hour days with the other day with the kids) and it makes keeping the long run to a small percentage of total miles really hard.

Normal "mommy training plan" for me is not optimal but it looks more like a normal training regimen with a midweek longer run (7-9 miles), some short ones (just added a Monday recovery run which took alot of schedule juggling) and then the long run on Sunday. I have been very strict about mileage increases because of my injury and I need to cross train for rehab. Generally 30mpw is about what I think I will be able to handle with my schedule - just have not pushed it up there post injury yet. Also, in case you misunderstand - ten miles is a very comfortable distance for me. I've run at least 8-10 ten mile long runs over the last few months and have already raced the distance in May (in water shoes). It wasn't a distance I just now built up to.

Thanks for the prerace suggestions - I need someone to talk me down off the 12+ miler ledge for next week. I simply do not need to do it. I'm still stressed about it. I don't really have time goals - just want to finish without blowing out my abs.

ajb422 wrote: Burt and Adam

ajb422 said:
Burt and Adam your timing rocks. I was just sitting around a couple days ago debating about how to add miles. I apparently decided wrong and was going to add them mostly to make my long runs longer basing it off shod programs. After hearing what you had to say I've changed my mind. Thanks!

I would also add that my best times have come when I was running a longer (9 mile) run midweek. Not only does it prevent injuries, it really aids in conditioning.

Janine, Yes if you are just

Janine, Yes if you are just looking to complete and do so without injury, given the closeness of the race maybe just stay with the 10. But go with what you feel like next weekend.. if you are feeling great and feel like going a little further, go for it. But it's not needed and dont stress about it.

And yes I agree about the mommy plans (beginner plans).. being the culprit of bad training.They re designed for folks that really shouldnt even be running the marathon distance yet IMO.The training mentaility is just to eek them to the end. So all the focus is on the long run because the athlete isnt ready to handle a proper weeks volume AND the Long runs needed to make it for the marathon.

c'mon folks....run a good 5k and 10k first...actually we should run a good mile before messing with a 5k...but I digress

I think you misunderstood.

I think you misunderstood. Why do you assume I am a complete beginner slavishly wed to Higdon, or Galloway, or whoever? I put alot of time into my training.I don't equate a mommy plan (run when one can) with a beginner plan - that's not really what I was talking about. When I said mommy plan I meant that having three kids means if something comes up, I can't run - there is no negotiation. I can't leave three kids alone just because I had scheduled a run. I run pretty much every minute I have leave to do so - I always fit in extra runs when I have a chance. Last week, on a day I didn't think I'd get to run, I wore running clothes to an offsite work meeting so I could run back to the office after. Just because I can't put in the miles someone else might doesn't mean I am not dedicated. That's very different from signing up for a half with no training and no experience and just finishing. I've run tons of races of all distance. I take my times seriously and this will be my third half marathon. A couple weeks ago I ran a 4 miler at a pace 35 seconds per mile faster than my 5 mile PR (from when I was running more miles per week pre injury). I've put in alot of time training to get my times down. Just because i'm slow and don't run 60 miles a week doesn't mean I am a total dolt.

I have to agree with J about

I have to agree with J about the 50% long run training problem. It's a runner problem, not necessarily barefoot or shod. You know, J. I am of the mindset that if you can run 10 miles at least a week before race day, you will be able to run 13.1 on race day. I've done it myself lots of times. I'm talking about "you" here though. I have witnessed you really mature as a fine barefoot runner from back in the RW days to here and now. You've got this. Just don't push it too much, okay? No more back to back 10s until AFTER the race. You are doing great!

I don't think Burt meant anything bad by what he said. He just didn't know that Mommy Plans weren't necessarily Beginner Plans, but I'm sure he knows that now. He was just trying to be helpful.

Janine, Oh sorry I didnt know

Janine, Oh sorry I didnt know what the heck a Mommy plan is! haha

My point was being that most folks are not properly trained for the distance events.

I know you put alot of effort into your training and I give you props girl

...fwiw.. Higdon's book "Marathon" has some great info in it.

I have that book.  Maybe I

I have that book. Maybe I will finish it someday.

Sorry I got cranky, Burt. Can

Sorry I got cranky, Burt. Can I ask you to put it down to prerace insanity? I am not knocking Higdon or Galloway either - I love Higdon myself. My favorite running book ever is his training book for short races (5k's and 10k's). I've read it a few times and I always learn something new. I need to look into getting the Marathon book if it's good (although a marathon is not in my sights). For me, it works best to not try to follow a plan but to learn principles and then apply them to a self-coached routine. I don't really have a problem with motivation, but I would have a problem with trying to stick to scheduled runs even if my body was not supposed to be running that particular day.

If 20% of weekly mileage for the long run is appropriate and I like sticking to a ten mile long run, that means I would be looking at running 50 miles per week. I will keep that in my head as an ultimate goal. I was just able to work in this Monday run, so that helps alot with allowing for 4-5 runs a week instead of 3-4. Not sure I could ever get to 50, but it gives me something to chew on, Burt. I really like my midweek longer runs, so it's not inconceivable I could get there someday. In fact, running those back to back 10 milers made me think running longer more often might be something that could be easier now.

TJ, do you feel like when you start barefoot that it's like starting all over again? I never saw it that way at all. I ran in 790's for two years before I started experimenting with barefoot/minimalist and I was always a midfoot striker - maybe that makes a difference. It took me only a few months to be able to comfortably run ten miles in Protons.

Decided to kinda take it easy

Decided to kinda take it easy this week since my ankle had been bothering me after my 1/2 marathon. It's just too hard to not run, so I had to do some. Anyway, it doesn't really bother me when I run...it's the after part that sux (although not a bad pain...just that I know it is there). Maybe I should just stop the not running part...??? If I run more, there is less time "not running" so less time where it is hurting. :)

Got in the following for W/E 31Oct:

7.51 Barefoot (1.5 on track for USAF "practice" "Fitness test")

1 mile in Huaraches (Went on what was supposed to be an 8.4 mile bf run and brought my brand new Invisible Shoe huaraches with me just in case. Feet started feeling "done" at mile 6, so put on my huraches. It was my first time running in them and they were too tight between the toe, so I only ran 1 mile in them before I had to stop. Started walking the last 1.4 miles back, but they still bothered my feet, so I tried to adjust them. Made it home walking the final stretch, but still didn't feel great. Guess I gotta experiment on how to adjust them properly...or, any hints from anyone? They always seem to feel comfortable at home on the carpet or outside on the grass.)

1.44 mile walk in huaraches after a "failed" attempt at running 8.44 miles.

http://www.endomondo.com/profile/23819

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7