Refused entry to bank. How do I get a letter from the state health dept?

Discussion in 'Barefootedness' started by duelle, Dec 5, 2012.

1. duelle

duelle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan

So I was recently refused entry to my bank for being barefoot. The guy gave me the usual health code BS and wouldn't believe me when I informed him that health codes don't apply to patrons. I know there's a repository of letters from every state stating that being barefoot is not prohibited in any way, but the one for Michigan is worded in a way that makes it seem to only apply to restaurants and grocery stores. Anyway, does anyone know where I would send a letter asking for confirmation that entering any business barefoot (not just places serving/selling food) is completely legal and there are no laws or codes prohibiting it?

2. migangelo

migangelo
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

health code for a bank? doesn't he know money has more feces on it than anything else besides toilet paper?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Nyah, Barefoot TJ and jldeleon like this.
  3. The Ramzev

The Ramzev
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Delaware

I'm no expert, but right or wrong, since it is a private business they have the right not to let you in barefoot. They may not have a good reason, but they do have that right. My guess would be that the real reason is liability if you step on something, which I believe is a fairly good reason in this sue happy society we live in.
    Remember, you have the right to move your business elsewhere, if it is important that businesses allow you to be barefoot.

4. duelle

duelle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Chase bank in Shelby Township, MI. I know they have a right to refuse me, but the only reason he gave was "health codes". I did try looking for a corporate mailing address, but I couldn't find one. Also couldn't give anything about corporate policy in relation to dress codes or bare feet.

5. jldeleon

jldeleon
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. California...
    3. Washington

Yes, legality, or not, they do have the right to set their own organizational policies as they see fit.

6. PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Tennessee

That's good to know. You'd think banks would fight for your business no matter what. Luckily I have never been refused entry by First Tennessee, but then again they usually don't have a guard by the front door at the branch I usually frequent. But I've also been in branches that do have a guard and they didn't say anything either.

Nyah and happysongbird like this.
  7. Barefooting Bob

Barefooting Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. North Dakota
    3. Nederland -...

No issue up here north of the border. The most I ever get it is, Watch your step the floor gets kind of slippery sometimes, thanks. :)

Nyah and happysongbird like this.
  8. duelle

duelle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Thanks for the help, everyone. I still have to send a letter to Costco, though I don't know how well that'll go. Also, who in the company would I address the letter to?

CUbE likes this.
  9. OdiarAmor

OdiarAmor
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Tennessee

10. duelle

duelle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan

11. OdiarAmor

OdiarAmor
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Tennessee

12. Nyah

Nyah
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Virginia
    2. District of...

I was once accosted by a Costco doorguard even before I entered, while putting on my store-access footwear (treaded, wool socks), no less. Of course it was a female, as usual in this type of altercation. I pointed to the rubber treading and said "THIS is my shoe".

Barefooting Bob likes this.
  13. duelle

duelle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan

I'm 24, and it's always been a Chase bank. What sort of strategy do you have in mind?

14. Running Romeo

Running Romeo
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

I don't have any issues with my Chase branch in Northern California. It's my companies bank and I always do the deposits while I'm out for a run. One time a new security guard told me I couldn't come in but I just grabbed the manager and she vouched for me and said it wasn't a problem.

15. Barefoot Gentile

Barefoot Gentile
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Connecticut

Follow the rules..... leave a pair of flip flops in the car, I don't think you will melt if you put some footwear on for a few minutes....

16. duelle

duelle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan

I was in a hurry so I didn't pay too much attention. He could have been either, but was definitely some sort of manager.

Thanks for the research, I didn't find any pages like that when I was looking through their web site. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

17. duelle

duelle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan

No, I don't go out to eat very much and that's a bit far from me. How was it?

18. nature runner

nature runner
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Tennessee

The only places I have been ran off for being barefoot is grocery stores. I have had gas stations do it, but I challenged it through corporate and won. The government makes enough rules without people adding to rules that do not exist to begin with. I know private businesses have that right, but really? I mean c'mon people this it not a communist country, let the feet be free!

19. Barefoot Walker

Barefoot Walker
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Iowa

Never allow a business to dictate how you dress in order to spend money!
    If they tell you that footwear is required, your reply should be, “Why?” Try not to be belligerent, but just ask. If they say anything relating to the law, simply reply, “That’s not true, and saying so will result in a fraud case for misrepresenting the law.” (That word usually brings them up short!) If they say its policy, my response is simply, “Well, its my policy not to do business with anyone who discriminates in that manner.” Then I exit, making sure to inform them that you intend to spread the word that they are not a good place to visit. Most will decide they want my business enough anyway.
    I got into a hassle a few months ago at the downtown branch of my bank (USBank®) and contacted them on their web site with the promise that I would remove myself and my trust fund from their organization if such a thing ever happened again at any of their branches. I got back a very apologetic email stating that the managers had been so informed and that they would welcome me and my bare feet. Of course, the fact that I have a trust fund there made a big difference.
    I had another incident with a Casey’s General Store® outlet (a place I usually only visit to get fuel, and only went in this time to pay cash) which had a sign on the door stating that it was health department regulations that required shirt and footwear. I challenged them on that (it is wrong on two counts: saying it’s the law, and saying that it is under the Department of Health when in Iowa, food establishments are governed by the Department of Inspections and Appeals), got nowhere, called corporate, was basically told that it was their policy not to allow bare feet (to which I simply asked that they state it as policy rather than the law so they would not be lying) but the person would not budge. I told her I would be filing a fraud case with the state attorney generals office, and I dont think she believed me. I did file my case, including a picture of the sign (which I have included at the end of this post). The next time I went by that store, the door sign was gone.
    I should add that I do have one trick for getting into barefoot-unfriendly places I wish to patronize by wearing sweat pants which cover my feet from the top and thus the feet are not readily visible, but I do this sparingly since it does constitute a wimp-out.
    In short, if a place doesn’t want your money, take your bare feet and currency elsewhere!
    20121231_07_store_sign4.jpg

JEFF CT and dutchie53 like this.
  20. CUbE

CUbE
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Costco was one of the only places that prohibited me from entering - I know there are safety equipment codes for industrial warehouses; so I don't know if Costco's policies are grounded on anything substantial.