Read the instructions!

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I showed up early for my 1/2 Marathon in Allentown, PA yesterday...I thought. I then discovered it was an 08:00 start instead of 09:00, and I was learning this at 08:20. Well, I wasn't too keen on running this race anyway, so rather than go through the shame and anxiety of running mostly last in a race of 4 or 5000 people,and running farther than I thought I was ready for, I went home. Then, after a good warm up, a second cup of coffee and a brightened attitude, I went out and had a stellar 10 mile run in the coutry. It was a 6 deer, 2 woodchuck and take my shirt off for the run home sort of morning.

So, for the record, if you screw up and blow a race because you didn't read the instructions, it might be because you had something better to to in the back of your beady little mind.

Been there, done that!

Tip #2: try to turn up on the right weekend....
cereal-guy-cereal-guy-spitting.jpg

Well I wouldn't have minded being in the back, most of my races I've started towards the back. As long as i enough time to warm up and prep my feet. It does make for a lot of bobbing in and out getting around people though! I nearly made a similar mistake right now, making all my weekend plans around a half on Sunday, and my friend caught it yesterday and reminded me it was Saturday!

Well, sorry you missed it, but a) good save and b) sounds like you weren't that mentally into it to begin with, so not a major loss.

While the country runs are nice, I found the lack of sidewalks or even shoulders to be disturbing (I used to live in Macungie some years ago). Though running at dusk during the summers was neat with the fireflies...

(I used to live in Macungie some years ago). ...

I was in New Tripoli. Close enough! It was a fine country run on mostly dirt / gravel roads, and in 10 miles I only was passed by 3 vehicles. Well, one of them was stopped for a kitten lying in the middle of the road, which I scooped up and deposited out of the way.

What I hate are the fast country roads, on which I feel like I'm risking my life with the inbred alchoholics flying along as they text and spill coffee on their laps.

I was in New Tripoli. Close enough! It was a fine country run on mostly dirt / gravel roads, and in 10 miles I only was passed by 3 vehicles. Well, one of them was stopped for a kitten lying in the middle of the road, which I scooped up and deposited out of the way.

What I hate are the fast country roads, on which I feel like I'm risking my life with the inbred alchoholics flying along as they text and spill coffee on their laps.

Yeah, I lived on the border of what was either Trexlertown or Allentown, near Air Products (which is where I used to work). The roads around there were fairly car-laden. Every now and again, I'd cruise out to Rodale Park, but that was a pain, so I'd tough it out as best as I could.

Yup, RP, I know that neighborhood. My SO retired from Air Products last year after 32 years in the law dept. (paralegal) Maybe you even knew her! AP is the big fish in that pond. Once you get up into the farm country there are some very civilized roads with great scenery and low traffic. The view from my friend's house looks out toward the Blue Mountain and the Appalachian Trail.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon