Random Babbling

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
I may not have ended up where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
-Douglas Adams

When I was young I wanted to be a writer, then an astronomer, then an actress. As I grew older, I wanted to by a psychologist. I wanted to earn my doctorate in psychology, as a matter of fact. I wanted to specialize in relationship psychology. So when I went to college, psychology was my declared major. It stayed my major for one year, until I barely got a C on my first basic psychology class. Then I freaked out and decided I wasn’t smart enough to major in psychology. So I changed my degree to Communications. I got an Interdisciplinary Studies degree to make sure I had all of my bases covered. After I got my degree, I had plans to become an Intercultural Communications consultant, so that people traveling would have a better understanding of how communication differed per culture and could have some tools on how to better interact with their colleagues. But then I realized I had no business sense and would never be able to successfully create my own business. During all of this I worked primarily in manufacturing work, followed by administrative assistant work – I hated both. And after I graduated, I then had a Bachelor’s Degree and I was still working at jobs I hated. I started looking at all the copious amounts of volunteer work I had done over the years and realized that working with children was a prominent theme. I decided to go back to school to get a 2 year certificate degree (of which I only had to complete 1 year) as an Instructional Assistant for Special Needs Children. Then I worked for AmeriCorps for a year. I loved that job! Then I started working as an instructional assistant for a number of years, which I also loved. When the economy started to tank, I switched angles and became a caregiver for the elderly for a number of years. I also loved that. But, then I decided that I was tired of doing live-in, which is particularly hard when you are married. So I got shift work, working as a direct support professional for adults with developmental disabilities. I LOVE this job!

What is the moral of the story? I WANTED to be a psychologist, it was my DREAM. I WANTED to be an Intercultural Communications Consultant, it was my DREAM, too. My dreams were “shattered” on more than one occasion because the universe had other plans for me. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I can state with assurance that I ended up where I was SUPPOSED to be. I am completely happy with the line of work I ended up in! When you don’t do as well in one area, as you would have liked, that does not mean you are not equally good at –or even better- at another. The truth is that, no one is talented in just one area of life. Life rarely turns out like we plan, it often ends up turning out even better, even if it does not feel like it at the time.

Growing up, I wanted to be a cartoonist, an engineer, a musician, a craftsman, and other things. But the one thing I KNEW I didn't want to be was a teacher. What am I? -A Teacher. And I'm very happy, most of the time (And not just in the summers;)). It's something I'm good at, and it's an area where I can always keep growing.
Great post.

Reactions: jldeleon
My big dream job when I was a kid was to be a professional hockey player in the NHL (what kid from Canada doesn't right), I was actually pretty good, I had scouts come out and watch me, then the goofy crap with my knees started and of all things I stopped growing (you just don't see to many 5'-5" professional hockey players out there, especially defencemen). The last thing I really wanted to do was work 9 to 5 or some resemblance of it, and here I am a Building's Designer who works 9 to 5 or some resemblence of it, go figure.

God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you. Have you ever heard that song, Jen? Rascal Flatts sings it the best. This is the story of my life. Glad you found a happy ending too!

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. - Llyod Dobler

So, I became a photographer, after 10 years of doing all the above, after I went to college for photography, which was 10 years after I knew I wanted to be a photographer, which was when I was 11.

High School Guidance Counselor: “You can be anything you want, if you put your mind to it.”
Me: “OK, then I want to be a helicopter.”
HSGC: “A…helicopter pilot?”
Me: “No.”
HSGC: “A helicopter mechanic?”
Me: “No.”
HSGC: “So, a helicopter. You mean like a Huey?”
Me: “No, more like a Bell Jet Ranger.”

Shortly after that meeting, my guidance counselor started drinking in church…

All silliness aside, I never really knew what I wanted to be when I grew up and – for that matter – I still don’t. Like most kids, I ratcheted through different choices: Truck driver (like my dad), architect (like Mike Brady), lawyer, accountant, psychologist and firefighter. Of those, the one that I did the most schooling for was firefighter. The job I actually wound up doing for a while was truck driver. Then I stumbled into a hazardous materials-based line of work, spent some time in management (which I never recommend) and now I do Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) consulting. Is it the dream job? No. But, right now it works for me and gives me some nice schedule flexibility to work out, run errands and generally screw around in the middle of the week, if needed – so all in all, not a bad gig. Not sure if I’m going to be doing this forever, but I’ll worry about that change when the time comes.

I admire people like my cousin – when we were in high school, she knew she wanted to be a psychologist. She knew she was going to get her Bachelors from UC Santa Barbara, then a Masters, then a Ph.D and then go be a psychologist. Sure enough – 14 years after we graduated, she did it.

Reactions: happysongbird
I admire people like my cousin – when we were in high school, she knew she wanted to be a psychologist. She knew she was going to get her Bachelors from UC Santa Barbara, then a Masters, then a Ph.D and then go be a psychologist. Sure enough – 14 years after we graduated, she did it.

That was my ex-boyfriend. He accomplished every single major goal he set for himself, from education to business to personal, and that list is looooong. Amazes me!

My sister in law was like that too. She wanted to be a horse vet ever since she was a little kid. No wavering, nothing got in her way, she went and became it. Not many people are like that and know what they want to do their whole lives. I've done a lot of different things in my life, was a fireman for a while, army infantryman, delivery driver, warehouse manager, construction worker, small business owner, produce manager, hardware store worker, and an office customer service/sales/data entry person. I still have no clue what I want to be when I grow up.

I did a lotta crap work in the US till I turned 32, then I left the country. Now I hold 7 English lessons a week (individual and very small group) for way more money than I'm worth, plus two Qigong courses a week (Tuesday mornings with my Grandma Group and Thursday evenings with my hardcore fans) ... take care of the house, play a little blues guitar, run... goof around... and, uh... huh, not much more than that. And yet, I have like no free time at all, wtf?

Oh yeah, the quotes. See this page:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa

went to the sauna this evening, had a great time. I go about every two weeks but I'd go more often if there were one closer by. Finally got through an entire "Kleopatra" infusion. It lasts about 25 minutes and takes place in a 90°C Finnish Sauna cabin. It was pretty full, we were sitting basically shoulder on shoulder. There was a Brazillian guy with his German friend there, they were speaking English. I told them I'm American, big mistake. Big mistake because, whenever I mention that here, I know the next question is going to be "what part of the US do you come from?" (or, "... are you coming from?" depending on the speaker's level of fluency). I really have to remember to answer with something like "Ohio" but I always forget and I tell them the truth: "New (f'ing) York". And then the reply... "Ahhhhhhh... Neeeeew Yooooork!" And I sink into the floor, or sauna bench as the case was tonight. "Why are you living in Germany when you could be living in Neeeeeeew Yooooooork???" :eek:

I freaking hate Hollywood.

went to the sauna this evening, had a great time. I go about every two weeks but I'd go more often if there were one closer by. Finally got through an entire "Kleopatra" infusion. It lasts about 25 minutes and takes place in a 90°C Finnish Sauna cabin. It was pretty full, we were sitting basically shoulder on shoulder. There was a Brazillian guy with his German friend there, they were speaking English. I told them I'm American, big mistake. Big mistake because, whenever I mention that here, I know the next question is going to be "what part of the US do you come from?" (or, "... are you coming from?" depending on the speaker's level of fluency). I really have to remember to answer with something like "Ohio" but I always forget and I tell them the truth: "New (f'ing) York". And then the reply... "Ahhhhhhh... Neeeeew Yooooork!" And I sink into the floor, or sauna bench as the case was tonight. "Why are you living in Germany when you could be living in Neeeeeeew Yooooooork???" :eek:

I freaking hate Hollywood.

90C? 194F? Ye gods - I did not know that sauna's could get that hot.

So what's the issue with the New York thing? Are you referring to how it is perceived as this sort of utopian urban existance where everyone is hip, stylish, attractive and rich (which - let's face it - we know it's not the case). Or is there something else to it?

yeah, 90°C - and that's before they pour liquid (pine oil in this case) on the stones and wave the oriental fans around to circulate the heat. When they do that, it really feels like hot coals on your face, and even moreso on your back where the heat reflects off the wall. There are saunas up to 110°C. This particular infusion though is almost more of a test of the will than anything to do with health. I got through it tonight, but only because I didn't sit on the highest level platform. A half meter in elevation makes a huge difference.

It's done in two phases: First, two infusions and lots of fan waving to get us totally sweated up. Next, we all shuffle out to the shower area (nekkid, mixed) and are given handfuls of salt to rub into the skin (everywhere except there), then back into the cabin for two more infusions. Then out again to quick-rinse the salt off and rub oiled honey into ourselves (or our partners if we're lucky), and back in for two more infusions, making it six in total ... about 25 minutes all told.

And afterwards off I went into the frigid natural pond for a dip.

http://www.bambados.de/cms/Sauna/Impressionen/Impressionen.html

(towels are not actually permitted in the sauna, except for sitting or lying on, or for photo shoots for the website)

And you said it better than I could re NY. "We" know it's not the case, but TV and movies make it look like the greatest city on Earth. Even I, whenever I watch a travelogue about NYC here, find myself wanting to go there ...

Well, it certainly looks like everyone in the sauna is certainly...svelte...

hahaha ... yeah, we are. Really. Everone!

(I saw a guy at a different sauna a few months ago ... omg. Blobulously fat, gut hanging to his knees, GGG moobs, the works. He had to go up steps on his hands and knees.. BUT, no prob with all that. He was a good guy, really friendly, knew all the staff. And was totally unashamed of his body. Good for him. EXCEPT ... and this gets a little gruesome, so maybe don't continue reading ... he came into the quiet room while I was there reading a book - The Great Gatsby, if you're wondering - took a recliner across from me, rolled over on his side, so all the blubber kind of sank southward and gave me a perfect view of a piercing that I truly may need therapy to get removed from my synapses. And now you will, too. A piercing invloving two spikes connected by a chain.... )

This is the pub, isn't it? Do I need to remove my own post now?

hahaha ... yeah, we are. Really. Everone!

(I saw a guy at a different sauna a few months ago ... omg. Blobulously fat, gut hanging to his knees, GGG moobs, the works. He had to go up steps on his hands and knees.. BUT, no prob with all that. He was a good guy, really friendly, knew all the staff. And was totally unashamed of his body. Good for him. EXCEPT ... and this gets a little gruesome, so maybe don't continue reading ... he came into the quiet room while I was there reading a book - The Great Gatsby, if you're wondering - took a recliner across from me, rolled over on his side, so all the blubber kind of sank southward and gave me a perfect view of a piercing that I truly may need therapy to get removed from my synapses. And now you will, too. A piercing invloving two spikes connected by a chain.... )

This is the pub, isn't it? Do I need to remove my own post now?

Was the chain also connected to his wallet?

Thank you for that visual, BTW. Now I have to go wash my eyes out with bleach...

Reactions: BFwillie_g
90C? 194F? Ye gods - I did not know that sauna's could get that hot.

So what's the issue with the New York thing? Are you referring to how it is perceived as this sort of utopian urban existance where everyone is hip, stylish, attractive and rich (which - let's face it - we know it's not the case).

Speak for yourself ;)

Reactions: BFwillie_g