Ran my first barefoot 5K.

sprkthead2

Barefooters
Sep 6, 2010
Ran Bay Village Bicentennial 5k 1st race barefoot Saturday. :) I was first hesitant on running barefoot(a little self consious of my feet and what people would say) but at the last second said to myself f$$# it J), its my goal to run a barefoot race before the end of the year and I have been running barefoot more when I can. I wore my wool classics to the starting line and before the start I shoved them in the back of my shorts and pull my drawstring tight. I can hear people behind me whispering about me running barefoot, "what happens if you run over glass" etc. etc. I just said to myself if only you know what you've been missing. My sister and my nephew were both wearing VFF while my brother in law wore his regular running shoes(he is converting to VFF) we only seen 3 other people wearing VFF.

The starting gun fired, I ran smoothly for the first mile passing people easily(my VFF were dropping in my shorts, felt like I was running a loaded diaper.) I felt like I was running smooth and efficient enough to hold conversation with a older runner asking me how I like running barefoot. 2nd mile I ran out of gas and had to stop and catch my breath(grrr hate when that happens :p), I start running again passing more people I felt my forefoot getting warm(oh no this means blisters), later had to stop one more time to catch my breath then took off passing people again grrrr, and finally round the corner and head straight for the finish line. Heard people at the finish line say "look hes running barefoot!" a volunteer asked me you ran barefoot? yeah, gasping, then a older runner said no he didnt he wore his shoes and took them off part way during the race, I said what?????!!! then he said I thought I saw you wearing them at the start, I said ran the whole race barefoot!!! I took of my shoes off before the start and shove them in the back of my shorts! then he said Oh. Geez some people.

I know I could of done better if I had practice running more miles like I did on the previous race wearing my KSO's, I felt like I jackrabbit this race. My feet later felt fine that day, no blisters!! All in all I am hooked on running barefoot, and I am over my fear of what people may think and say. Next time I won't be carrying my VFF, I'll be leaving them at home.

Well, seems like a good

Well, seems like a good enough race all in all. Anything that makes you want to run more barefoot is a good thing IMO. ;) About the smilies, what you want to do is just mouse over them and type the code for them instead, like this without the spaces: : party : to make it look like this: :party: Ya dig?

Thanks, BB.Congrats on your

Thanks, BB.

Congrats on your first barefoot 5K and meeting your goal for the year! This will be a run you will always, fondly remember.

Great job and

Great job and congratulations! I have finally worked up to 5k training runs so I am hoping to do a 5k race this year. I've pretty much ditched the shoes (even the VFFs) for running now that it's not quite so hot.

That's a great time.  Bit by

That's a great time. Bit by bit, right?

Thanks everyone, I guess the

Thanks everyone, I guess the hardest part of running your first race barefoot is getting over the fear of attracting attention, even more so than wearing VFF(I was the only BF runner there). Now that I know what to expect, the next race should be easier.

Your right TJ its bit by bit improvent, just as long as I am having a PR every race I'm satisfied, I thought I blew away my chance to PR after I stopped 2x to catch my breath, so I guess I was running a little faster than I thought I was(probably running from pure addrenaline;)). I loved the feeling of passing shod runners.

Good luck on your upcoming 5K race hmduey, its a blast running a race BF and addicting.

Good job - the day I ran my

Good job - the day I ran my first BF 5K I found the race sponsor (a LRS) had an anti-barefoot manifesto right on their homepage. Oops.

What's your longest barefoot

What's your longest barefoot run so far, Tex?

Barefoot TJ wrote:What's

Barefoot TJ said:
What's your longest barefoot run so far, Tex?

Well, it was on a concrete trail in a state park and I don't know the official distance, maybe 2 miles? It was at the end of a trail run in my vffs. I'm really a newb at this barefooting thing! I have run marathons and 25K trail races shod, however...

I'd love to find a nice dirt trail to build miles with. The only one I know of around here is over an old garbage dump. Doesn't seem like a good place for barefooting!

Yea, you might want to avoid

Yea, you might want to avoid the garbage dump, in case there are any needles sticking up. Yikes! You'll get there Tex. It's just skating, one form is roller, the other is ice.

I just ran my first BF 5k

I just ran my first BF 5k this weekend also! I had a great time! A couple of people gave me strange looks but one women at the starting line asked me how long I had been running barefoot which made me feel at ease before we started. I was feeling out of place until then. I passed a lot of people which was great. I was dissapointed because they had us wearing time chips but they didn't post my time so I don't know my official time. I had to email the race organizers and they are checking on it for me. I did see one other person barefoot (although I'm not sure if he ran it barefoot or not). Overall it was a great experience. I can't wait to do it again.

Just a side note, the person who is most upset about my barefoot adventures is my father. I think he fears for my saftey and he thinks I'm brining too much attention to myself. Granted he comes from a small town and values confomity. I am trying to decide whether or not I should be open with him about my barefoot running lifestyle. Does anyone else have experience with this? On a positive note, my husband thinks it is awesome!!

Jstone, I have that problem

Jstone, I have that problem with my wife and the rest of my family is supportive. My wife grew up valuing conformity as well and she cannot get over the fact that I am different and weird because being barefoot goes against the U.S. normal. She is learning to deal with it as she likes the fact that I am able to walk and run now pain free. It also helps that I don't go out to stores barefoot and cause problems and I don't go to her families homes without shoes. I can wear my min shoes so it doesn't bother me too much. My wifes biggest complaint is that show Mosters Inside Me. She's afraid my barefooting is going to get some strange critter inside me that is going to kill me before the docs can figure out what it is.

Jstone,What a great,

Jstone,

What a great, healthy, wholesome issue you've come across to advance your differentiation from your parental types.

You can proceed with your life knowing that your dad's concern for you, while lovely and perhaps endearing, doesn't require you to change your behavior an iota. Who knows, he might even learn something new in the process of understanding you.

Meanwhile, keep up the great running! You're doing just fine, and have many happy miles to go.

jstonecypher

jstonecypher said:
..... the person who is most upset about my barefoot adventures is my father. I think he fears for my saftey and he thinks I'm brining too much attention to myself. ...... Does anyone else have experience with this? On a positive note, my husband thinks it is awesome!!

Two years ago TJ had trouble convincing her mom that it was safe and acceptable. She put together a few positive articles and presented it to her. I'm pretty sure it worked.

All people are different, but in general I think it should be easier to make a reasonable case to a parent than to a spouse.

Seems to be a lot of stubborn close-minded spouses around.

With your husband on board the rest should be easy!

My father thought my wife and I were nuts. It was'nt until he turned 89 and went nuts himself that he starterd thinking people staring at our bare feet out in the city in mid winter were the crazy ones.

Sometimes Alzheimer's has its benefits.

I believe Dr. Daniel Howell's "The Barefoot Book" is the most complete and concise publication that clearly and scientificaly makes the case for bare feet almost everywhere whether walking, running, hiking, or living.

It only touches briefly on running, but everyone I have lent it to (I had six copies at one time) has been completly understanding after reading it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7