Racing in the rain

BarefootOakland

Barefooters
Mar 10, 2012
So, my first race is tomorrow, the Oakland Running Festival 5k, and it's most likely going to be in the rain. I'm pretty torn about whether to run in my KSOs or to keep it barefoot. I've run in rain barefoot before, but it slows me down and I'm not too fond of it, and I don't want to tear my feet up by slipping around.

Anyone have any experience racing barefoot in the rain, or advice for this newbie?

Run the way you train. If that's barefoot, run barefoot.

Running in the rain rocks! Just make sure you're not pushing off or you're likely to tear up your feet.

Otherwise, enjoy one of the best feelings - Running in the rain! Be sure to laugh at all the shoddies bitching about their wet shoes.

Run the way you train.

Thanks, pilot, that has a good ring to it! I think I will stick to barefoot. I was also hoping to break 25 mins (which would be a PR for my short career) but I'll just go by feel and maybe not worry about the time as much for this first race.

Thanks, pilot, that has a good ring to it! I think I will stick to barefoot. I was also hoping to break 25 mins (which would be a PR for my short career) but I'll just go by feel and maybe not worry about the time as much for this first race.

Sounds like a good plan. I've been running barefoot for a year and a half and I'm only now starting to push a bit for times.

Enjoy the race and have fun!

The lines on the road can get slick, just avoid them. Also, around here they seal the cracks in the roads with about a 5" wide black stripe following the crack, they are very slick. I avoid those also, otherwise the traction seems fine to me. I love running in the rain. Good luck.

Ive gotten all my splinters in the rain. Id run through puddles and the rain gathers up all the trash and debry into a puddle and I was stupid enough to run into them. Try running in the middle of the road where there are no puddles/

Thanks for the tips. Avoiding the lines on the road is an especially good one - I had planned on running on them a fair amount since a lot of the asphalt I'll be running on looked to be pretty rough chipseal on my scouting walk today.

Yeah! Congrats!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon