Question about form and hills.

Barefoot Cassie

Barefooters
Sep 10, 2010
I live in a river valley so there are quite a bit of hills (I am in Illinois though so they are not really big hills :) ) I don't have any trouble going up the hills but coming down is another story. It makes my feet hurt. TOFP type of hurt. It goes away as soon as I stop or hit a more flat area. Is my form off going down the hills? Why would my feet hurt like this?

Cassie, this seems to be one

Cassie, this seems to be one of the bigger challenges in barefoot running, so don't feel bad if you haven't perfected it. Both Ken Bob and Jason have some tips on this. Let us know what works.

I notice that my feet try

I notice that my feet try searching for the ground more actively and it seems to cause me to land harder on my toes? One of the ways I try to counteract this is to swing my arms more behind my body more to level myself off.

Here are a few tid bits I

Here are a few tid bits I have learned about downhill barefoot running:

You can't be cautious when going downhill barefoot, you need to let it rip. I find that if you are cautious running barefoot downhill you throw off your mechanics, and you can possibly injury yourself. This of course takes alot of practice and be careful about it. Start with small hills to get the feeling of having your legs spinning at a quicker cadence.

- Definitely avoid over-striding on downhills!

- Increase your candence, shorten your strides, and make sure you bend the knees. Breaking in shoes is easy, but not barefoot. You have to have confidence in yourself and just let gravity take you and don't fight it.

- Lean in a little (with the hips) to completely keep the weight on the forefoot, this will avoid any heel pounding, and helps you maintain a nice flow.

- Keep your torso aligned with hips just like you are running on a straight away, but lean in a little with the hips. Imagine you have a rope tied around your waist and someone is at the bottom of the hill pulling you down.

- I found that lowering your arms a little below the waste, not completely straight, and move them out a bit, acts like a stabalizer. This gives you some nice control.

- Keep your head aligned with your chest and hips, sometimes i tuck my chin in a little, and keep you lower abs tight (Srong abs is the secret recipe to being a strong runner) this keeps everything strong and tight.

Thanks for the links and the

Thanks for the links and the advice. I think I just need to spend some time on the hills to see what I may or may not be doing. I may even talk DH into recording it so I can go back and watch.

I look forward to trying all

I look forward to trying all the good "let'er rip" advice myself. Cassie wrote very much the same note I could have if I'd been thinking cleary enough. I'm aiming to run a 10 mile trail race on Halloween, so I need to develop some downhill chops.

Now where can I find a "DH" to record me? Joseph

Barefoot Cassie Here is a

Barefoot Cassie

Here is a video that helped me.

Caution colorful language
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_HillRunningTechniques.wmv