Podiatrist of the Month

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Let's hope "June" is even more open minded.

Podiatrist April Borchardt with Prevea Health says she was initially against barefoot running. However, after looking into it and trying it out, she says her mind was changed... slightly.
"The key is that, that it's not for everybody and that's what I found out," said Borchardt.Borchardt said she thinks the barefoot running craze that she says has increased over the past years is a fad and will subside.

“For the most part,” said Borchardt. “There are going to be some people that have been running barefoot for years and feel very strongly that that's right for them. But as popular as it is right now, I don't think it will continue to stay that way."

Borchardt says if you do wish to try out barefoot running to consult your doctor first.

She also says diabetics should especially stay away from barefoot running.

A cut on the foot can lead to an infection - and possibly an amputation.

Never mind that throughout the entire article they are calling "barefoot" running running in minimalist footwear. Cuts?

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/green_bay/barefoot-running-biz-booming

you also need permission from your supervisor or the government before you make any decision and do anything for yourself. did you not get the memo?

It would be interesting to have everyone ask "their doctor" whether or not they should run barefoot or not.
If we include margin for error in the results what would we end up with........99% responding "no"?

I am so tired of idiots calling my feet a fad. Our feet have been around a lot longer than our damn shoes!

A cut can lead to amputation. Hmmmm. Then a blister from inside a shoe with all the groddies in there could just as well lead to amputation.

I think this is the first craze I've participated in. Are there any others I should know about? Do they all require doctor's permission?
When the running boom took of in the late 1970s, the doctors were quite upset that we didn't consult them first.
I remember an article by one doctor which warned that your intestines would slosh around like spaghetti in a bowl.

My little boy likes to jump around after he's drank something and yell, "Mommy, come listen to my guts slosh around!" It's hysterical.

Why would you consult your doctor first? Are they experts in barefoot running? I sometimes wonder if they think before they say things.

Neil

Of course they don't think, they just ape the sayings all good monkeys repeat when it comes to any particular topic :rolleyes:
I l0ve how every time some self-appointed expert blathers on about this they all say "its not for everyone" but we never
do hear just how the categories of who its for vs not defined...

It turns out that our gut sloshing around happens and it's normal and is designed to happen. It helps keep things moving through the system.

Borchardt says if you do wish to try out barefoot running to consult your doctor first.

She also says diabetics should especially stay away from barefoot running.

A cut on the foot can lead to an infection - and possibly an amputation.

Do I also need a note from my mother?

Also, it is me, or is the whole "you'll cut your feet on glass" thing the new "you'll shoot your eye out".

As the resident Type I diabetic, I'm a little concerned about the automatic assumption that if your diabetic, your hell-bound for foot amputation if you get a cut on your foot.

I've been Type I for more than 30 years. I have excellent blood flow and normal sensation in my feet. My feet are strong and healthy. My wounds heal just as quickly as a a non-diabetic in my age range. The real issue is whether you have normal sensation and blood flow. Clearly, many with diabetes do not. But many with other medical conditions do not, either. The wounds I've received from running in shoes (blisters, hot spots, etc.) are worse than anything I've gotten barefoot.