Plantar Skin Question

I'm just curious to know if once the skin on the soles of the feet has thickened and toughened up is it possible to lose that conditioning if you stop running completely barefoot? What I mean is, is it a "use it or lose it" sort of situation or is it that once you've conditioned the plantar skin and it becomes thicker and less sensitive it stays that way indefinitely. Curious what you experienced BFRs think. Do some of you who live in colder climates (and use footwear during the winter) have to go through a period of reconditioning once spring rolls around?

If you don't use it, you will

If you don't use it, you will lose it. I am evidence of that. I haven't run as much this year as I did last year, and after this last illness/injury (I have to call it that, since I don't know what else to call the reaction I had to that medication.), I have noticed that my skin is a lot softer than it was, and the skin is a lot thinner. This is only normal.

Now compare me to Ken Bob or Rick. I'm sure their skin would resort back to its baby state as well, but it would take a lot longer.

They'd lose it just as

They'd lose it just as fast.

People can go from zero to gravel (walking) in just six weeks of proper training (plantar SURFACE, not muscle and bone training, which can take a year).

Peak gravel training reverts to baby soft feet wihin six weeks of constant shoe wearing as well.

The good news is that there is memory, just like with muscles.

Your second time around the toughness will come faster. You will still always lose it just as fast though.

Moving to a warmer climate is the best solution.

One day..........

I lost some of my condition

I lost some of my condition just wearing VFF's to get used to them for a trail run. That was less than 3 weeks of VFF use. Oh, my did my feet have something to say when I thought I'd reintroduce them to gravel towpath their first outing after the race. It sounded like "ow! ow!Ow! OW!" I've gotten back to nearly where I was, maybe 80%, anyway since Halloween.

It's going to be a long winter.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7