Paleo Friendly Alcohol

barefoot kean

Barefooters
Jun 3, 2010
Anchorage
Well, im 21 now, im also tryin out paleo to see what its all about. I must say im liking it so far. Anyhow, seeing as how i am trying out the paloe lifestyle and i just turned 21, what kinds of Alcohol can i drink?

The question would be, what

The question would be, what kind of alcohol did Paleolithic humans drink? Probably fermented fruit juice or berries, if at all. You'll have to do some research on when wine, beer, spirits were first invented. Start with Wikipedia.

My guess is you'll have to brew your own, what ever it is. The Alcohol you can buy in the store, like most of our food, is alas a highly industrialized product.

Cheers

an alcohol friendly Paleo (in moderation, of course).

Full disclosure: I know nothing about the Paleo diet, and surely don't really eat it since I am a Vegetarian (+Fish). My moniker has a different source.

paleo, as soon as im outa

paleo, as soon as im outa college and have my own place i think ill take your advice and brew my own. it will be very interesting to see how things pan out. Abide, i like your logic about grapes. I have to admit, i have yet to find a wine that i do like, but i am new to the being able to buy what i want when i want seen. interesting fact, the best wine ive ever had was boxed wine :p ive sipped other wines a few times before, mostly my parents at nice restaurants, and its always tasted rather bad, then last year a guy was like "try this, its actually not bad", and it wasnt. anyhow, if i ever make progress ill post it so ya'll can see.

I'm not very familiar with

I'm not very familiar with the restrictions of Paleo, but Mead has quite a long history as well and might work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

According to Wikipedia's History of Alcohol, China was the first to produce fermented drinks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_alcohol) "The earliest evidence of alcohol in China are wine jars from Jiahu which date to about 7000 BC, making China the first in the world to develop alcoholic beverages.[6] This early drink was produced by fermenting rice, honey, and fruit."

If you're looking to home brew experimenting with ancient Chinese recipes could be fun! :)

BK,I don't know much about

BK,

I don't know much about Paleo, but wine seems like the closest to me as well. As far as finding a wine you like, that might come with time, age, or just testing many.

When I was your age, wine never tasted good to me, and the fact that the more money you pay, most of the time the better quality wines you get, limited me by being a poor college student.

I would try some cheaper California Pino Noir's and some Malbec's from Argentina. Both are reds and most of the time you can find decent tasting ones under $10 a bottle (here in Maryland at least).

Good luck, I haven't made a jump to full Paleo, but I do enjoy my wine!

barefoot kean wrote:the best

barefoot kean said:
the best wine ive ever had was boxed wine :p ive sipped other wines a few times before, mostly my parents at nice restaurants, and its always tasted rather bad, then last year a guy was like "try this, its actually not bad", and it wasnt. anyhow, if i ever make progress ill post it so ya'll can see.

Out of curiosity, what brand was it? I always have Black Box Cabernet in my house--it's actually highly rated and VERY affordable (3L box for under $18 at Costco.) We aren't wine snobs but we do like our wine to taste good, and Black Box Cab is really yummy.

If you want to checkj out

If you want to checkj out brewing your own, I'd recommend you look up brewyourown clubs in your area. They can save you a lot of frustration and throwaway batches with their deep experience base. Luck and joy!

OK. I'll weigh in here...

OK. I'll weigh in here... been trying out the paleo thing for over a month now and since alcohol is totally off the list for the strict paleo (I was trying to be strict for the first 30 days, BUT... um... that didn't quite happen since I'm just drawn to being a bit naughty when given boundaries) I had to find "alternatives."

Well, since paleo is non-grain, beer was out. Did I say I love beer? Well, I LOVE beer. HOWEVER, I did find a gluten-free beer at Whole Foods. They had maybe three alternatives to choose from. It wasn't bad, but nothing like my favorite IPA. Oh well... it was a decent substitute if I was BYOB at a party or something. Tried getting back on the paleo wagon, but found myself trying a shot of whiskey with a teaspoon of agave about 3 weeks in. Again, not bad, but not like my favorite cocktail or beer. I also drank wine on my "strict" 30 days. Hey. At least it was all grain free, right? I tried. (sigh)

So if you're not doing the strict paleo thing stick with the alcohol that is grain free (gluten free) or a little wine is good. I think even Cordain approves of a little alcohol in moderation (even normal beer). Robb Wolf recommends the margarita and says if you're going to drink, drink the clear stuff (ie: tequilia) with a little lime and drink early. I can't remember the reasoning behind this (something to do with your body metabolizing the sugars??)

Happy 21st, Kean!! Enjoy!

:)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts