one of my ideas re running form - what do you guys think?

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
hey there.... I just wrote this as a reply to a post at that other place (link).

It's something that works for me and also something I'd like to be able to describe accurately and effectively. Maybe some of you noticed that I make a big deal about turnover rate, lol, well, this could be a method to apply to help acheive that goal.

I'd be interested in reactions. Not only to the idea but to the description. TIA:

Verbatim:

yeah, this one aspect of "good form" that isn't so easy to adapt. It IS very easy to read a ton of articles and posts from people admonishing you to "engage the hamstrings" "don't lift the knees", etc., and fool yourself into thinking that that's what you're doing. But you aren't.

So, Masklin: HOW do you engage the hamstrings?
For me, the first step in the process is to wiki hamstring and see what exactly is being discussed, look at anatomical images and think about how all this stuff works.

It's easier for me to envision the hamstrings as giant tendons that get extended and released (just like the Achilles tendons). So, the "lifting" phase follows a figurative "stretching out" phase in the running cycle (but never really extend the legs to max length, don't really stretch them out). When you extend the leg, you load up the hamstrings, and then you release the stored-up power and allow the big hamstrings to contract and pull the foot up from the ground toward the butt.

So this is kind of a passive approach to the idea, and more of a visualization than a technique. I can't figure out how to actively "engage the hamstrings" either, lol.

What you could try is something I wrote about a while ago, it just occurred to me during a run. Try this standing in place, with the feet about shoulder-width apart and the knees comfortably bent/loose (not extended or locked) and take one small step forward. The leg to the rear will be slightly stretched, you'll feel the tension in the Achilles (mostly) and hamstrings (somewhat).

Now push that extended knee slowly forward, allow the foot to kind of be "peeled" from the floor - first the heel travels upward then the rest of the foot follows the motion -
but stop when toes are still on the floor. don't lift the foot from the ground. Then move the knee back and allow the foot to slowly set on the floor again. Again: use the knee as the impulse for the motion.

Notice what the Achilles is doing there. When you set the foot down, you're loading it up, and when you (gently) push the knee forward, the Achilles goes into action and supports the motion.
Do this for a while. Maybe alternating 20 reps per side and then simply left/right left/right for a while. At this point, you haven't really used the hamstrings (much). But the next thing to do is continue the motion until the foot does peel itself completely up from the floor and get "lifted" (passively).

Notice what happens at that moment - the hammies enter the game! Your knee travels a bit further through the motion and your foot moves forward seemingly all by itself, passively.
to repeat this exercise, you'll have to intentionally set the foot down behind you, to it's original position. Do this for a while on one side then the other and then alternating....

Try to become very conscious of what the Achilles and hamstrings are doing here.
And next time you run, try to integrate that feeling into your form.
The result should be minimal lift. Or, maybe "optimal lift" is better. You'll engage just engough for your given tempo.
When you want to run faster, you'll simply open this action up further while maintaining (roughly) the same turnover rate.
ok.... that got long and maybe confusing... I was kind of sorting it out in my own mind at the same time.

I think the 'lifting' is just a reaction to the forward momentum. I don't think it's something to concentrate on at all (but your description of the process seems to be very accurate).

I think the 'lifting' is just a reaction to the forward momentum..

Thanks for the reply and, yes, exactly, Chris - left to their own means, the muscles and tendons do their work perfectly. I didn't mean to say concentrate on the "lifting" at all. Only to become conscious of its function. The little exercise is meant to illustrate and "bring to life" what's going on in the back of the legs.

The concentration point, if there's one at all, is on the forward momentum you mentioned, in this case the somewhat active forward (not upward) movement of the knee. I know someone might want to say, "No! Don't run with the knees" but that's not what I'm (trying to) describe at all. I do this when I run and it really feels smooth and light.

One little detail I didn't mention: During the exercise, maintain absolutely relaxed feet, especially when they leave the ground and travel through the air. Let them set down on the ground very softly (they'll automatically "land fore- or midfoot").

My right foot in my av is an excample of what not to do - I'm dorsiflexing slightly. (excuse: I was running at about 10k racing pace BF on a gravelly paved path and, well, I ain't perfect neither ;) )

PS: the post was inspired by a discussion about running from the flexor vs. hamstrings - maybe I should have mentioned that earlier!

PPS: The formatting went kerflooey in the copy/paste process, and I can't edit it here for some reason, can't insert hard returns/paragraph breaks... ???

BFwillie_g

I think your description of what happens in the running stride is right, but I find that to get it right in practice I have to think about lifting my knee a little forward - this seems to make me lift my feet off the ground with my hamstrings rather than pushing off with the calves/quads. It's weird that I have to concentrate on one small part of the movement to get the whole thing right, but I guess it's whatever works.