On the Laces of a Dilemma

I know you'll think I'm just being flippant with this question, but I'm truly asking for input on this:

Four months into barefoot running has firmly convinced me that I won't be running in shoes again, at least in the traditional running shoe I'd become accustomed to (the jury is still out on the whole Vibram / InvisibleShoe / minimalist thing). But, like every well-duped shod runner, I've accumulated a small fortune in running shoes, being a complete sucker for that buy-two-pairs-and-alternate-them thing.

The half-marathon I'm running in January asks that runners consider donating their "gently used" old running shoes so that they can be given to, well, I guess anyone who doesn't have running shoes? Anyway, this is my dilemma. I have plenty of gently used shoes, even a completely unused pair or two, also being a sucker for the buy-extras-if-you-find-a-pair-you-like-because-they'll-probably-be-discontinued thing. If I simply throw them out, then I'm wasting a boatload of money, as well as risking the wrath of my better half. But if I donate them, am I not being just a wee bit hypocritical if I believe (as I do) that running shoes are the root of all (running) evil?

Can you help a brother out with some clear thinking?

BTW, on this afternoon's run, I noticed a woman walking on the other side of the street but in the direction I was running. When I hit my midpoint and turned back, I saw this same woman, now walking toward me. God bless her, she looked as though she'd never run a day in her life, but I also saw as I approached that she was staring right at my feet. As I neared, she said to me, "Why are you running without shoes?" Without skipping a beat, I replied, "Because I don't like to walk." I heard her chuckle as I went on buy. Hope I made her day. She made mine.

Who are the shoes given to? People who think they can't exercise without them but may be motivated to be a little healthier with them? People who can't afford the shoes they need to work (I'd not want to be a cleaner barefoot, or a dustman)? Homeless people on the streets all day & night?
I'd maybe do more research into where they go, but it's not always a bad thing to have shoes.

PS Love the comeback!

If they are going to a mission/charity that gives to people in need, consider that it is highly unlikely anyone will run in them. Rather, the shoes may be used to wear to work (where shoes will be required).

Reactions: Sid
I look at it as just because I don't want to wear shoes doesn't mean I should push my beliefs on someone else, if they want shoes and I can help those that can't afford them then why not? Otherwise I am just going to throw them out and they will just be wasted, right? At least if I give them to someone else they won't go to waste. I do get that it's a catch 22, but they are going to do it whether you help them or not because modern society believes we need shoes. Why have them go to waste?

If they are healthy shoes, then donate them.

Well, the race website only says that they go to those "less fortunate." So, I wrote the race directors an email and asked if they could provide any more specific information than that. If I get a response, I'll let you know. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, they are often ridiculously vague on those issues. My kids school holds fundraisers often for "families in need" and when I ask what the charity name is (because there are some I prefer to donate to over others), the response is similarly opaque. Good luck and let us know how you resolve your ethical quandries. I've had them over far smaller issues, so I'm always curious to see how others come to conclusions.

I think you can probably rest assured that the shoes will not be going to anyone running in them. All of these charities look like they are giving the shoes to the needy, not needy athletes. I suppose that one could write on the bottom of the shoe, "For walking only, no running". Or send them to Nike, where they'll recycle the materials. I gave mine to my brother-in-law. He seemed pleased to have them. I'm almost certain that he won't be running in them! However, if he does, then more power to him! I've accepted that most people I know won't run, much less run barefoot.

Reactions: scedastic
That was a standard answer of mine too awhile back, Sid. But then since I've gone through all this foot hell, I can't say that only running in shoes ruins us; walking in the wrong shoes can ruin us too. That's why I say if they're healthy, donate them.

TJ has a point. I can't deny that. But, I think the people who are getting these shoes, probably are not opting between shoes or barefoot.

Donating your shoes might give someone something more than shoes. It sends the message that somebody cares.

And, the shoes they are replacing are probably pretty disgusting or worn out. I think donating them is a good idea.

I appreciate your point, Claw. Of course they are not opting for one over another. What I'm saying is if they are healthy, I don't see a problem with it. If they are not healthy, I do. Take a look at my feet, now 8 incisions, soon to be 9 in just over a week. I should be a living example of what shoes not to wear, donated or not.

Consider that we are the narwhals of the running world. Rare and somewhat fabulous. For the rest of the shod world a decent pair of shoes is likely something they'd deeply appreciate. Save the saving of them for the religious types.

Reactions: clawhammer72
Save the saving of them for the religious types.
I hear you. Though, even in soup kitchens, they try to serve somewhat healthy food. They can't be too picky, but they don't serve solely junk food. Sometime you have to draw the line somewhere. Let's say that the shoes do ruin someone's feet. Will they be well-educated enough or have the access to health care to get their feet treated, or will they suffer from deformities and pain for the rest of their lives?

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I still remember the first day I took my first barefoot run, the next day I donated both pairs of running shoes to Goodwill. I only had two pairs, one was a brand new pair of Asic Kanyo's that I had for 3 weeks, ran in them twice, and were about $120. Someone got a nice treat. I knew from that first barefoot run that I wanted to be forced to run barefoot and learn it quickly, I didn't even own a pair of vibrams, or minimal footwear. I say donating them would be a great thing to do.

Reactions: NickW and Sid
It has just struck me what a fortunate position we are all in to be have the choices that lead to this kind of conversation! Yes, there's a chance the shoes could cause them problems, but what are their choices likely to be? Shoes that don't fit as well or a falling to pieces? Frostbite followed by amputation? (It happens) Soup kitchens may serve healthy food & personally I'd be horrified if they started feeding their customers McDonald's instead but I'd have no problem if McD's started feeding the homeless.

Consider that we are the narwhals of the running world. Rare and somewhat fabulous. For the rest of the shod world a decent pair of shoes is likely something they'd deeply appreciate. Save the saving of them for the religious types.
Thanks for expanding my vocabulary JT!

Thom, I have a pair of practically new Kayanos that I bought soon after arriving Stateside in 2010. A week or so after I bought them my younger brother sent me Daniel Lieberman's "Barefoot Running Professor" YouTube video and I took up BFR (sporadically at first). I used to use the shoes for rowing, but since I've mostly given up rowing, I now face a similar dilemma. Let me know what you find out about the charity.

If your shoes end up in Africa, they will be diverted and bought buy a middleman and resold in a market or by an ambulant salesman. There is almost no chance anyone will run in them. Someone of modest means will buy them as status markers, to replace their flip-flops or other, lesser footwear.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts