Now I know why I lost my speed.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
Barefoot running has taught me to land forefoot, but at the sametime has restricted my natural stretch of my legs. My wife took two pictures of me running on the beach at different times. I cringe when I look at them, i look so restricted. I also realized how much weight I need to lose, at least 10 pounds. I am happy I saw these pictures and my wife analyzing them. She was like you used to really look like you were flying before. I look forward to my next run to correct myself and spread out more. I have that generic barefoot running style going on, which I was hoping I would never have.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs541.ash1/31678_1477431140606_1378587141_31262364_8189834_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs299.snc4/41267_1352583418605_1351988068_30793862_4440647_n.jpg

I need to get back to this, an exampe from Zola

http://www.iconsportsmedia.com/image_dir/album44697/md_42982845_Barefoot_Running.jpg

Don't be too hard on yourself

Don't be too hard on yourself Bro. One thing I noticed is you have a smile on your face and Zola doesn't :) Besides she was probably running at least twice as fast as you in that pic. So take some new ones when you are running 5 min/miles to see how much more of a stride you have.

LBF, I don't see what's wrong

LBF, I don't see what's wrong here. What do you mean you look "so restricted?"

Maybe a video would show more, but from these stills I see a guy running with what seems to be a nice engaged, erect posture, at probably a medium rate of speed. And who--this is an important point--is actually SMILING in each picture. That's an expression a lot of heel strikers hoofing their way through the local 10K can't even imagine.

Another theory about your lost speed: your smile musculature is growing so large and complex it's consuming a disproportionate share of resources. Unfortunately, there is no cure. :)

True about the smile.  I was

True about the smile. I was just striding in these pics, the last half marathon I did I averaged a 8:30 pace and I looked the same. I was expecting some more action to me. But you are right Abide I am sure at 5 min/mile I would look completely different. I am turning 40 soon, maybe I am hitting some kind of crisis lol!

Stomper: I like the theory about the smile!

Check out Patrick Sweeney here, in luna's!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs388.snc4/45143_1470481496333_1662498702_1095541_7771252_n.jpg

Pretty incredible.

Other then that awful shirt

Other then that awful shirt you are wearing in the first image, i think I'd have to agree with stomper

Any idea how fast you were able to run before and how fast you run now? What I have noticed is that a lot of barefoot and minimalist runners do not appear fast but are in reality moving along pretty good. I have been told myself that I am deceptively faster then I appear due to what appears to be tiny steps I take.

I attended a natural running class last Sunday and one of the drills really surprised me. He had us do the whole Chi running thing leaning foward while landing under center and then had us get our feet wet and run across the sidewalk. What feels like baby steps is actually in reality covering a good amount of distance.

They look fine, lbf...  I

They look fine, lbf... I think your wife's camera can only auto-focus when you've got your feet on the ground.

FWIW, a race photographer caught me running in huaraches at a trail race, and he got several of me looking like Sweeney. Well, not really looking like Sweeney - but he got a few shots with both of my feet off the ground. And I'm slow.

Wasn't Zola most known for

Wasn't Zola most known for her ability to run a 5K, fast, like breaking the record? Well, that's not what you are doing in those pictures or in a half marathon. Get your wife to film you running a 5K as if you were Zola Budd, or the best you can ;-) , then have her film you running in spots over a half marathon distance. You'll definitely see a change in your stride. Besides, an 8:30 pace is nothing to laugh at.

@shacky   lol!      I need to

@shacky lol! I need to represent.

That natural running class sounds really interesting. I actually have been concentrating on doing that lean technique as well. I never kept track of my pace when I ran in shoes for all those years, I never wore a watch. But looking back at the races I did in shoes I was faster, but I am slowly catching up bareofoot. You are right about the deception. I read a post somewhere about this guy had the oppurtunity to run with Ken Bob, and was amazed at his pace. He said watching Ken Bob it didn't look like he was runnin that fast, until he actually ran with him.

Silly C: It is all about the right capture, I agree.

Btw how is your feet? I saw your post about your trail run, and was going to comment. Now those dark spots, was that all bruises, or dirt? I hope you are feeling better. 16 miles on trail is a heck of an accomplishment. I would love to do a marathon trail run. Trail running is a whole other animal. I mostly run on concrete, but have ran some trails, very short though. It is super fun, but challenging at the same time. I ran them in KSO's but the feet do take a beating, I can see how they need to adapt. I really wish I had more trails to run, it is so much fun.

Did you see my barefoot 5K

Did you see my barefoot 5K video? I am slow anyway, but I pretty much look like I am powerwalking when if fact I am running about 10:30 pace. It's embarrassing looking, but you see me as I pass more "normal" runners. The guys at the finish were astonished by how I placed ahead of alot of shod folks who looked more like they were running.

ETA: Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wDzpBWXZPM

barefooters tend to look like

barefooters tend to look like they are barely doing anything...even when they are really moving. To me that is the definition of efficient running, which is the goal aint it?

I watched video of abebe setting the WR in the marathon running like a 5:10 pace for 26.2 and it looks like he is barely picking up his feet. He DOES however have a LONG stride.

Hello Burt!  Thanks for

Hello Burt! Thanks for finding your way here. Do you know if Abebe was a tall man? In some of his photos, he looked rather tall.

I always go back to this

I always go back to this video when I'm thinking of fast barefoot form (the second part of it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CERyUWwWkOc

I love it. Try putting some random fartleks into your runs and I'm sure you'll get there in no time.

Adam, be cautious of

Adam, be cautious of overstriding. You will gain speed by increasing your cadence better and more safely than "stretching" out. Or at least that's what I read... I've always been as slow as a turtle. I just now am a slow turtle who can run without knee or ankle pain.

BF Mary, I love that video, I was showing to my 12yr old daughter last week!

David

Abebe was 5"10 and 124 lbs.

Abebe was 5"10 and 124 lbs. had a long effortless stride... ran a 5:10 pace for 26.2 over cobblestone in BF. I like him.

David, It is possible to

David, It is possible to "lengthen one's stride" without OVERstriding. Mainly comes from hip extension and flexiblility and running fast, still landing close to under and with a bent knee.

at some point during "fast running" stride length WILL increase ... or else you speed doesnt. My cadence stays about the same at varying paces...but stride lengthens when I run fast.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7