Now I know why I lost my speed.

Well of course your stride is

Well of course your stride is gonna look short when you take pictures right after your foot touches down! Get some pictures of you running as your foot is just comming off the ground, or just after it leaves the ground, and it'll be a different story. We're used to thinking of a long stride as going way out if front, but for barefooters you lengthen your stride by taking it farther back behind you. Also, I garuntee that Zola's legs were in exactly the same place as yours when her foot touched the ground after that picture. If you got a picture while both feet off the ground it would tell a much different story. Sweeny is also off the ground. Your legs will be farthest apart when you are in the air, and closest together pretty much exactly where your pictures are taken.

Yes, I've watched the video

Yes, I've watched the video of Abebe running that marathon several times, and he was impressive. 5'10" isn't that tall, but my hubby is 5'10", and that is tall to me.

5'10" aint that tall for a

5'10" aint that tall for a regular guy....but it starts to get kinda tall for an elite distance runner although Frank shorter was 5'10 too.

I love that footage of Abebe... SAY have you sen the footage of what his feets LOOKED LIKE AFTER the race?? Holy crap they were trashed!!! Skin torn off everywhere on his toes... he was PUSHING pardong the Pun ..haha

Barefoot TJ said:
Yes, I've watched the video of Abebe running that marathon several times, and he was impressive. 5'10" isn't that tall, but my hubby is 5'10", and that is tall to me.

To base my speed on this

To base my speed on this picture was kind of wierd of me to do. This was a day on the beach with the family, drinking some beers, and chillin'. I was just strolling on the sand.

I am 5' 11"

Burt, post that link of abebe, please. I would love to see it.

http://www.sports-reference.c

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/bi/abebe-bikila-1.html

cool...as for ABEBE's torn up feet...it's in the movie ENDURANCE Haile gebs film....which is freakn great it REALLY shoes Haile running barefoot constantly as a younin

Adam G. said:
To base my speed on this picture was kind of wierd of me to do. This was a day on the beach with the family, drinking some beers, and chillin'. I was just strolling on the sand.

I am 5' 11"

Burt, post that link of abebe, please. I would love to see it.

Barefoot Burt wrote:I love

Barefoot Burt said:
I love that footage of Abebe... SAY have you sen the footage of what his feets LOOKED LIKE AFTER the race?? Holy crap they were trashed!!! Skin torn off everywhere on his toes...

Was the video photoshopped or was this Doc visualy impaired?
Almost immediately after he had won, Bikila was examined by a doctor. He had only one word to say: “Fantastico!” Bikila’s pulse rate stood at a mere 88, his eyes were clear, he showed no signs of fatigue and there were no indications of bruising on his bare feet. He then told Niskanen that he could have kept going for another 10 to 15 kilometres at the same speed! The entire article is available here: http://tsehainy.com/?p=3405

it appeared to be actual

it appeared to be actual vintage film...his feet looked trashed.... if you havent seen Endurance...get it

p.s. your qoute says "no bruising on his barefeet" I saw no bruises but lots of peeling skin

After finishing races a

After finishing races a handful of people always want to see my soles assuming that they are either trashed or calloused beyond belief.

They are always amazed at how "normal" they look.

Exactly, and I'm just running

Exactly, and I'm just running a 5K slightly ahead of the middle of the pack.

How people have come to think that's noteworthy especially on relatively smooth pavement

shows how out of touch with their own feet's capabilities they have become.

What a shoddy culture!