Not Just for Running, Barefoot All The Time?

Niffer

Barefooters
Apr 14, 2012
ON, Canada
So I'm working on toughening up my soles, so I've just been walking everywhere (more or less) barefoot.
Apparently it's a real movement to just be barefoot generally, and for foot health.

Do any of you abandon foot-ware regularly? Or do you shed your shoes only for running?

Peace,
-Niffer

I'd say I'm an "at home" barefooter, mostly. I drive barefoot pretty regularly as well, now that I think about it. I find myself spending more and more time in huaraches when I have to go out and about. Work is the biggest challenge as I can't afford dress casual minshoes currently (student teaching = no paycheck. YAY!), but I found the widest flattest option I could afford, which works OK in that it doesn't aggravate my foot injury/issue.

I'm not running barefoot at the moment, thanks to that injury so I run in minimal shoes and am working into barefoot again...

I started off by walking BF everywhere. I will still go BF if it's warm enough and there's plenty of outdoor walking. I put some fold up shoes (Zems) in my back pocket if I think I might need to go into a shop or restaurant. However, if I know I'll be spending most of my time in a mall or popping in and out of shops, I'll just wear my VFFs or Vivos.

I am barefoot all the time, as I can't wear shoes, and I have lived barefoot every chance I could growing up. There's more to my story, but I won't bore you with it right now. ;)

I barefoot around the house, for the most part. In fact, upon reading up on BFR, I was a little suprised that one of the recommendations is to "start walking around the house barefoot" - my reaction was "doesn't everyone do that anyway?". Out and about is a different story - only recently have I started wearing Huaraches (though I have been wearing Sanuk's or flip flops for a while, now). As for work, when I'm on a customer site, they'd prefer me to wear shoes, so that's that.

Reactions: Andy Tomlin
I've been doing a lot of just general walking barefoot, around town - and I was told that it was unhealthy because of chance of a cut becoming infected, and how pavement is just hard in general, for the soles of the feet, unlike grass or dirt.
I like walking on pavement and haven't had issue with it, but is it really that hard on my feet??

Peace,
-Niffer

If you are worried about it, you can get a tetanus shot. I think the concern is over-rated.

Pretty much BF all the unless I am going into a restaurant, or out with the wife. She pretty much refuses to go out anywhere unless I have something on my feet.
Same here.
Huaraches for meeting with clients and going out with my wife.

Flip flops if I go inside somewhere with my wife. Otherwise if outside I'm BF, or if she's not with me I'm BF.

Usually I only wear shoes to work. The second I get out to my car at 5 pm I take them off. :D Going to the park with my son, visiting family, whatever, always BF.

I started going BF in May of last year. It wasn't until late Summer/Fall I started getting interested in running.

Now that I don't have a job where I have to wear safety shoes, I am barefoot all the time. I think I've worn sandals two or three times in the past two months. Minimalist shoes two or three times. Running shoes two or three times. The gym won't let you workout barefoot, so I have to wear them there. But I put them on just before I go in and take them off as soon as I am out the door. I walk about 2.5 miles each way for school, so I get about 6 miles or more of barefoot walking done a day (in addition to my running). I thought that they would probably have a problem with it at school at some point as I am a teaching assistant, but so far, aside from a few funny (and a few envious) looks, no one has said anything. So I will continue until someone does say something. I looked and couldn't find a dress code or requirement of shoes. So until otherwise told, I'm barefoot. A few students have asked about it and I'm sure by the end of the semester a few will get a little more daring and give it a go. When asked about it one time, I just said that I am interested in studying resource and environmental economics, why would I want to use up more resources and dump more into the environment, when I was born with what I needed to get around? It also saves me a crapload of money. I've bought one pair of shoes in the last two years. HAHAHA.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
barefoot around the house, most of the time when i walk (esp. if the pavement isn't too hot)
barefoot around my office when no one is watching (got in trouble for this once)
barefoot walking, as long as the pavement isn't too hot.
every now and again I get randy and go to stores and about barefoot. Usually, though, I try to slip on some huaraches.
no problem on pavement, no worries about cuts, and after a while of going bare, I just find shoes to be annoying. Unless my feet are really cold (in winter)

Reactions: Bare Lee
I have been barefoot most of the time this year. I'm either getting lazy about putting footwear on, or I just don't care about what I am stepping on or in now.

I even go into a few stores now barefoot. I love going from the hot pavement outside to the nice cool floor of the store. I have never been bothered or stopped by an employee. The good thing about a recession, you could probably walk in naked and they will still take your money. Most people won't even notice your naked feet unless you are wearing a BRS shirt.

I have been barefoot most of the time this year. I'm either getting lazy about putting footwear on, or I just don't care about what I am stepping on or in now.

I even go into a few stores now barefoot. I love going from the hot pavement outside to the nice cool floor of the store. I have never been bothered or stopped by an employee. The good thing about a recession, you could probably walk in naked and they will still take your money. Most people won't even notice your naked feet unless you are wearing a BRS shirt.

Unfortunately I've had a few places tell me I had to leave. I went in a Barnes & Noble a few months back, and a girl at the counter way back in the center of the store saw me and told some guy, who promptly came over and told me (as I was looking for Dr. Howell's Barefoot Book of all things) I had to put on shoes or leave because they serve food in the store. :rolleyes:

Luckily on our vacation to Destin last week I was BF probably 95% of the time, even to the open air mall and into their stores, all the surf shops, at the movie theater, and restaurants on the beach. I only wore flops into a couple of "regular" restaurants, and VFF's while cycling.

Unfortunately I've had a few places tell me I had to leave. I went in a Barnes & Noble a few months back, and a girl at the counter way back in the center of the store saw me and told some guy, who promptly came over and told me (as I was looking for Dr. Howell's Barefoot Book of all things) I had to put on shoes or leave because they serve food in the store. :rolleyes:

Sorry to take this thread off topic, but I have to comment on that. Food at a Barnes & Noble. Where everyone comes in with their grubby hands, touches all the books, then eats, and then touches the books again? Yuck, and they are worried about your feet?

Sometimes it's not worth the hassle, so I just throw on sandals to go into a public place. Also, there is the need to use the restroom occasionally and I do care what I step on in there.

I go barefoot 24/7 except while actively treating patients. I also fight every time I'm told I need shoes, unless it's a formal event where I respect the wishes of the honoree.
In stores and restaurants I win over 90% of the confrontations.
It's not for everybody, but SOMEONE has to fight the ridiculous attempts at keeping humans needlessly shod!

Usually if I ask them to show me where they have it posted that bare feet are not allowed, they back down. If they continue, then I leave. I'm not THAT hard up to spend my money there. I'll just find someone else that isn't going to judge a book by its cover.

The other day at school there were a couple of students that were going to give a little talk to the students about their organization. The needed the projector and I offered to help the young lady find the switch for the screen since I knew where it was. She asks, "Are you the instructor?" Then proceeds to look me from head to toe and says, "Oh, obviously not," after noting my mohawk, piercings, tattoos, and bare feet. I replied, "No, I'm not the instructor, I'm a graduate student TA." Her tone changed a bit after that. Hopefully she learned something...but I won't hold my breath...haha.