No Heel Strike Here

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Many of us have seen pics showing what we believe to be heel strikes and are surprised by them.

This was taken last week at the finish line and I want to wince in pain when viewing it, but I can guarantee you I landed mid-foot. It's amazing how fast the foot can pivot at the ankle to the correct landing attitude.

I thought for a minute that the sprint to the finish especially on carpet could have allowed for the heel-first contact, so I experimented with sprinting and it actually caused less of a heel kiss than my normal speed.

Da Vinci was right, what a marvel of engineering!

Nice picture even though it

Nice picture even though it looks like exactly what you don't want to happen. It never ceases to amaze me with what our bodies can do on the fly to prevent injuries. Sometimes, we just have to get out of own way.

BF Mitch wrote:Where's the

BF Mitch said:
Where's the belly button

Don't know, it was there last year!

"attitude"  That is such a

"attitude" That is such a pilot term. ;-)

I find that as long as most of your landings are mid-fore, then no problem. It's okay to have an occasional heel strike. What's bad is when we heel strike all the time.

Board doesn't have a belly button; he was hatched. :stare:

Barefoot TJ wrote:"attitude" 

Barefoot TJ said:
"attitude" That is such a pilot term. Board doesn't have a belly button; he was hatched.

REAL pilots fly tail draggers and like that nose-high landing attitude, while us BFRunners prefer the dreaded nose wheel first wheelbarrowing effect pilots dread so much.

It's much easier being hatched for many reasons, including never having to fret over whether or not you have an innie vs an outie.

Did find proof (innie) from last year's CRIM Festival of races (Flint MI)

http://www.crim.org/indexrace.asp

which happens again this Saturday. 18,000 entrants last year, should be good! Besides, pizza AND beer included! Not sure if that will enhance the innie or not.

I guess the black leather belt does look a bit more dressy though.

So what, instead of that fancy gal I was ahead of last race look who I'm beating now!

Still looks like a heel strike coming on but I know better, last micro-second mid-foot transition all the way.

JosephTree wrote:No, TJ.  The

JosephTree said:
No, TJ. The pilot term you're thinking of is "ALTITUDE."

"Changes in latitude, changes in attitude, nothing seems quite the same"

With any altitude a BFRunner BETTER have a good attitude upon landing!

Never thought of it before, but BFRunners have good ATTITUDE!

They have too, otherwise they would heel strike.

Attitude is a pilot term as

Attitude is a pilot term as well. It has to do with positioning (specific pitch and bank). I only know this stuff because my husband flies. So does Board. What's that pilot joke about attitude, Board? It goes something like... What did the pilot say to the plane that had an attitude problem? The pilot told the plane it had better shape up and fly right!

With any altitude a BFRunner BETTER have a good attitude upon landing! Precisely. ;-)

Ya, I know.  I was just

Ya, I know. I was just creating some verbal static for a little fun.

...and LB, both you guys in the picture have what I consider professional grade tans. I never look any good in race pics. More like death warmed over and bipedally ambulatory, but only just barely. They always seem to get my face in the shade, too.

LOngBoard you are have way

LOngBoard you are have way too much fun for a runner. A race is supposed to be hard and arduous. Wipe that smile off your face.
bigsmile.png

You call that a

You call that a smile?

Walkin' the red carpet barefoot with your wife while SHE'S heel striking, now THAT'S smiling!

Thanks PB, life has it's

Thanks PB, life has it's twists and turns but all in all it's a good concept.

I've posted in this forum of some setbacks, as have many others,

and the BRS has always offered a great family of support.

Sharing the happy moments as well as the sad is all a part of being a member of the community, and

I'm glad that you can see the joy we both were feeling that evening.

Looks like you're walking

Looks like you're walking through it, together. :love:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7