Newbie from So. Cal. still around, update (from the docs thread) and some statements and questions.

ladycheshire5

Barefooters
Aug 16, 2011
I'm updating here from my thread that was started in the docs area because I'm going to lead into some other questions probably not suited for that forum. (?)

I had started BF running... about a month before I was "injured". I wasn't running very consistentely for a months time though and apparently over did it for a beginer. I thought I had possibly a stress fracture because it hurt bad enough to make me limp and there was swelling (never hurt my foot like that before). Xray after 1 week of this showed negative. At the suggestion of someone I looked into Boots and Shoes to try and immobilize my foot. The only thing that would work for that was the huge 5 lb boot that goes up to your mid calf. It was impracticle and according to the doctors a little overkill. Bottom line is it's been about 4+ weeks since the initial injury and I have no pain, no swelling. Since went to my primary doctor and she agreed it probably wasn't a fx and just overuse.

Now, this past week since I've felt good for more than a week I decided to start WALKING the dogs BF again. Before that I took a couple short walks in my complex and felt fine except for some minor twinge of sensation in the injury area that told me "don't over do it or step wrong" or else I'll hurt it all over again. On a few walks this week I was highly aware of that area but at the end of the week I have no pain! :) On a couple of the last walks I "jogged" for about a few yards to see how it felt (form) and it was fine. Might be a doctor question here? -- how to proceed from this point? Plan: continue walks with spurts of "jogging" or "running" working slowly up to longer running periods. Acceptable?

I've had quite a few people express concern about me running BF. Concerns about stepping on something I don't see that will injure me, e.g., glass or sharp objects. These people would much rather see me wear a minimal shoe. I've really enjoyed the feeling of BF so I'm resisting this but I wonder if anyone has advice on this? How to respond to these concerns without sounding reckless. Are these valid concerns? Is this just the risk or hazard of BF running? (I'm still very new to this so I'm sticking to my predictable routes for now and I watch the ground in front of me to try and AVOID such hazards but I suppose you "can" miss something or step wrong we are human) How many have a pair of minimal shoes for unpredictable turrain while still going BF on your more predictable routes? I saw video on youtube (I think) of a guy running elegantly (I might add..) on trail terrain... very rocky in places! I was impressed. I want to be able to do that someday.

I went ahead and purchased Merrells Pace Gloves yesterday. For the purpose of trail hiking or running AND for work. I have been wearing my old running shoes (Brooks Ariels) as my work shoes and have thought about the idea of how BF is supposed to be benefical - why not try to be as BF as possible in all aspects of your daily life to get the most out of it? I really would rather have a product with less material like the Five Finger road running version... but I work in healthcare and I don't want to really stand out with toes shoes at work. I hear Merrills is working on a road shoe so I might have to purchase those in the future. Does anyone also feel the same about this? That BF running or the ideal of it shouldn't be just isolated to the act of running? I try to go BF whenever possible! :)

Thanks for reading and any feedback, it's much appreciated. :)

Laura

Wow, that boot sounds

Wow, that boot sounds serious. They have boots that go just above the ankle.

A doctor should know that a stress fracture won't show up on an x-ray after just a week. It takes a few weeks of healing before an x-ray can pick up stress fractures. The doctor must have been looking for something else, a break perhaps.

Continue to progress slowly as you are, and I think you will be fine.

I have been running barefoot for three years, and I have never stepped on anything that has stopped me from running even one day, and if I had, it sure would be a lot better than the hell shoes have put me through.

Shoes have damaged my feet so badly (Morton's Neuroma, two in each foot), I can't wear anything with an enclosed toe. Even wearing flip-flops or huaraches will cause my toes to hurt in about 1/2 hour, 20 minutes for VFFs.

I think being barefoot as much as is possible is the best, healthiest way to live. The pros way outweigh the cons, as few as there are.

To clarify, the doctor I saw

To clarify, the doctor I saw at first who ordered the xray did say exactly what you just did about the stress fx... although, not all stress fx are that small, some can be pretty bad breaks it's simply how you break it, stress being from overuse. I still need the follow up xray to prove it wasn't a small stress fx though. It's been busy at work but this week I will get it done. It was my Primary Care that said it probably wasn't a fx. A side note, I'm not that thrilled with her at the moment so I'm taking what she says with a grain of salt. (long story)

Thanks for the support. I will continue to take it slow. It has been extremely unpleasant being forced off running because of injury so I'm trying to be careful to not put myself back in that position again.

Laura

Might I suggest that when you

Might I suggest that when you do start to pick up the running, that you be extra especially aware of your cadence and form. The faster you move your feet and the gentler you are about putting them down, and the better you keep your posture, the less stress you will be putting on your various parts.

Some people start out and never seem to get their cadence up.

Good luck!

JosephTree, thank you for the

JosephTree, thank you for the tip, I feel I may have lots to learn about form etc., already, the advice of "lifting" instead of "pushing off" has helped immensely! I will keep in mind the cadence factor too.

Laura

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7