New Yorker Article on Barefoot Running & Paleo Lifestyle

I'm still looking for a version where grains are not completely the devil, I love the concept of primal but just can't see myself being 100% grain-free.

I think white rice is accepted as ok by many who are Paleo-ish...there is a bunch of gray area foods that maybe ok...you dont have to be 100% strict to get most of the benefits. I certainly still drink beer on the weekends.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Great to hear a fellow anthropologist with expertise in nutrition adding to the discussion. I've made similar points elsewhere. I love being part of the BFR community, but unfortunately it does bring one into contact with some of the flakier health and fitness trends. I cringe whenever someone with an understanding of evolution or ethnology based on popular media misrepresentations starts talking about their Paleo 'ancestors.' Much better to ask about our well-documented hunter-gatherer cousins.

I really liked that article, but I prefer to say that I'm seeking out a more 'natural' or 'adaptive' lifestyle. The whole 'Paleo' label opens one up to charges of being a Luddite, but there's no reason to forgo the many positive advances that agriculture-based civilization has brought us. Just need to find the right adaptive balance.
:pompus:

Reactions: migangelo
Tristan - I was vegetarian for some months, but it just wasn't working out with the rest of the family. It was too much work having to make something for myself, then for the kids, it was like making two different dinners a night, so I gave in and said forget it. Once the kids are old enough I can see myself being a vegetarian but not now. But I do love meats, all kinds. I'm not a label person as well, I eat healthy but not 100% strict about it, we only live once on this earth, you need to enjoy life.
Yeah, I have no aspirations of being vegetarian. I know it isnt popular with some people but I've been a hunter since I was of legal age and have been eating deer my whole life. Its a lot of work the way I do it, but I'm fairly proficient at it and like to be in complete control of the process from field to table. I'd like to raise chickens too, but for now I have neighbors that do so I can at least purchase eggs fresh. Now I don't neglect veggies, and do try to eat more of them though I am sure I could do better. Grains I struggle with. I love breads. For now I just try to cut down a little, and shift towards whole or sprouted grains when I can. I wanted to do a carb test this year but never did, hopefully next year, or maybe over the winter. If I could honestly see a difference, I think I could convince myself to eliminate or cut em way down. I do feel the difference now (bloating, gastric discomfort, etc) when I eat a lot of white breads and pastries, but if I eat a modest amount (especially whole grains) I don't notice it as much.

For me the missing part with Paleo was foraging!

After I stumbled over Arthur Haines YouTube channel, I also bought his book and could use his wisdom about wild food to enhance my Paleo diet.

Here's the intro to his channel...

Bye,
Alex

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon