New Study shows Shod running more efficient??

I found this very interesting, but after reading this in the posts below it makes me not put a lot of faith in this study.
SpencerRuns says:
February 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm
Except, that Harry Hollines ran in this study, and he said that the way they had this study set up was really crappy. He said he had to make a huge effort to run correctly with the weights on his feet, the treadmill I was running on, etc. He said he wasn't going to participate in the follow up due to this fact. So I really can't take this seriously.

I have always been under the impression that shod, and more specifically heel striking, is marginally more efficient than barefoot.

What studies are you talking about?

I don't know if I can believe any study done on a treadmill, also, could one really run correctly with lead taped to the top of the foot? I know for a fact that I use more effort on a treadmill. Just mentally alone, so I don't fly off the end, or step on the non moving side. I'll gladly give up 3 percent economy to run on the dirt.
I also believe that in beginning barefoot running, you are using more oxygen because of your muscles are adsorbing the shocks, but over time, you get used to it and your economy will even out, I question the experience of the subjects.
Hopefully a few more comments will come in and I would love to hear from someone that was in the study.

I did a Barefoot study at U of DE a couple months ago. I had to run in shoes, Nike Pegasus, and I'm sure that my effort was less because it was like running on freakin clouds. They were so comfortable I almost cried.

That being said, if the subjects of the study were asked to run in the shoes, for say a few weeks, then come back I believe the verdict would be different, they would be used to the shoes and their form would regress a bit which could change their efficiency.

A barefoot runner will be an efficient runner how ever they run as long as their form is correct. Initially shoes give a comfort feeling which would go away. My opinion of course.

Most runners suffer in shoes.

Over the past 2.75ish years I've come of the opinion that all that really matters is that runners are happy running and are injury free. How they get there is on the individual, granted I believe no shoes is best, but I ran most of my life as a heel striker injury free. It just so happens that I enjoy being barefoot and have the mathematical and physical knowledge to have a pretty good idea what I have found to be more efficient and have less impact. To non-barefooters who have approached me about running barefoot and the BRS, the biggest thing I push is form, not completely taking off their shoes.

I've always believed shod running to be more efficient, especially over longer distances, when you take the weight difference into account. Why? I think the cushioning does help some in reducing the amount of work the legs have to do. I still prefer barefoot though but if I was an elite runner I'd probably consider wearing shoes for racing.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090