New minimalist and aspiring barefoot runner from KY

ZachG1

Barefooters
Sep 18, 2012
My name is Zach. I am 19 and have really been reading a lot about BFR the last few months (ever since i got my VFF's) and am now training for my first 5k! I plan on starting actual barefoot training (not in my VFF's) in the spring, due to cold weather coming, following Ken Bobs guide and/or the chi running book when I finish it. Any helpful tips? :)

Reactions: Stephanie
Welcome, Zach. Ted says a numb foot is a dumb foot, so you're smart in waiting, especially if you live where the temps can get extreme. Just know that when you do begin to transition, it's shoes off all the way. You can't learn to run barefoot with something on your feet, even so-called barefoot shoes.

Reactions: happysongbird
is it too cold already? try it now. there is no tomorrow and no yesterday, only now. do what you can and be mindful of what you do. worry about how you feel, not how tough or cool you may look.

Zach:

It ain't that cold in KY yet (I'm from East TN, although transplanted to NC now). For me, about 50 degrees is the low limit on surface temperature for me, although we've got some nuts up north who run in the snow, bless their hearts. More power to them, but that just doesn't work for me.

As it cools down, try to run in the afternoon or early evening when the sun has warmed the asphalt/concrete all day; that way, even if the air is cooler, you'll have fairly warm surface under your feet. And don't be tempted by grass or VFFs until you've got a few months of BFR under your belt. You need the flat, hard surfaces to safely transition due to several factors:
- the sole skin conditioning effect hard surfaces have when used with good form
- the painful feedback hard surfaces provide instantly when your form is poor or gets sloppy
- the smoother transition to extending your achilles tendon (as you move from wearing heel-elevated standard shoes t0 putting your foot flat on the ground, especially while running)
- danger from the uneven ground under grass as you go through several months of getting your fine motor control muscles and tissues in your feet back in shape after years of lazing around in shoes

This is the "avoid Phil's stupidity-induced stress fracture" plan, provided at no cost to you courtesy of TJ and many others here at BRS. I tried to start too fast and in VFFs. Go with 1/4 or 1/2 mile every other day BF with at least 1 rest/skin recovery day in between at first. Add a little distance every week or two as you are comfortable, listening intently along the way to the feedback your feet provide. VFFs kill that feedback and will cause you to hurt yourself. Think of them like a 4WD truck - both will take you places you might not ought to go, and from which you may not be able to get back. Both can be great tools when used properly, and indidiously dangerous when not give the proper place and attention. Fair warning from one who has gone before you, who was warned, and who didn't listen until the 10-week stress-fracture healing enforced training break.

Welcome to the crew. This is a great place with lots of great folks who will gladly share with you from their wealth of experience. Glad to have you with us!

Thanks guys! I do go for jogs and walks completely barefoot now. The only reason I was going to wait to start the complete transition is because I am afraid that it will become to cold for me to BFR before I can complete all the training on form and such. But Phil, you are right haha it is not too cold here yet so I may add some short barefoot runs in with my regular runs.

On another note, one thing I have noticed when going complete barefoot on asphalt, is blisters (or the initial signs of them). I think the problem is pushing off with my forefoot when running and walking. I still struggle with wanting to push off and I know that comes from all my years of playing sports and "power" running. Is there an easy way for me to adjust to lifting my feet or will that just come in time as I continue to run?

Thanks for the replies!

Zach - good form (lifting and setting versus pushing off and skidding on landings) came to me over time with self discipline and lots of conscious focus. When I get tired or try to go too fast, I still get sloppy and abrade some skin off my soles on occasion. Your sports and tendency to jump or launch yourself forward (like it was for me) will subside over time as you replace those muscle memory patterns with the "lean forward from your ankles, relax your feet, and lift and set them down smoothly and quietly" model. The good news for you is that you only have a few years of muscle memory to replace. I had 22 years of running to overcome. I'm betting that it will come to you and become natural over the next weeks and months. If you get far enough into it, you may be able to go ahead and use the VFFs in a "shoes as tools for cold weather" mode, BUT CAUTIOUSLY AND VERY CONSCIOUSLY to avoid injury from TMTS (too much too soon, if you haven't run across that one yet).

I just noticed another point in your last note, and that concerns walking. I still walk heel-toe and don't foresee that changing, as it works bio-mechanically efficiently and "correctly" at a walking pace. If you're walking fast enough to be pushing off hard enough to make blisters, you should probably be running instead. Barefoot of course.

Haha thanks Phil! I was walking at a pretty good pace...maybe I should have just been running.

Another thing I try to do, not sure if good or not, is going for walks up and down my driveway (gravel). Would that be beneficial? I can do it now with little to no pain and it even feels good! Should I continue to do this?

Zach, two years of going bare here and i'm always working on my form. granted i'm older and likely more broken. to me form is king. get that down and running will be easier. slow down and just work on the basics. when you get your foundation then build on it.

Keep it up. Walk barefoot as much as you reasonably can, just taking breaks if the sole skin gets too tender; you've got to occasionally give it a little time to heal and consolidate the gains you're experiencing (like letting hard-worked muscle groups rest on alternate days to let the micro-torn muscle tissue heal and grow - same principle). A variety of surfaces is a good idea. If gravel works for you, then certainly keep that going, but also see about including asphalt and concrete if you can, as well as natural surfaces. Variety is a good thing, as with any exercise program, to keep your muscles and autonomic functions on their toes so they don't get complacent or adapt to what you're doing, thereby reducing the benefit you get from your exercise program. And the surfaces you're walking on won't feel quite the same when you're running due to the differences in how you place your feet and how they distribute your weight at different speeds. I can comfortably run on some surfaces that I can't as comfortably walk on BF.

I'll work on my form some more! Based on what I've read, that is the key thing and is also what is most important to you guys, it seems. Thanks for all the replies!

Zach - good form (lifting and setting versus pushing off and skidding on landings) came to me over time with self discipline and lots of conscious focus.

Just wanted to reinforce the 'lifting' technique. I focused on that pretty hard in the beginning, probably more so than any other aspect of my form, and I think thats what helped me not get any blisters. Jason's books go into it, but basically just lift your foot evenly off the ground.

And welcome to the club! Wish I would have known about the benefits of barefoot when I was your age...

Thanks Tristan! That makes me feel a little better about how not being the only one dealing with that. And you are right, I kind of feel lucky that I found the benefits of barefoot this early too! I'm already noticing positive results! Like stronger ankles for example (which I really need!)

Welcome to the group, Zach. You'll learn a lot here, as I have, being a newbie myself. You're in a great position to be learning this skill long before you ingrain too many bad running habits that you have to unlearn, so keep practicing. Everyone repeats this to me, so I'll return the favor to you...

Patience, patience, patience.

Good luck, and happy running!

I have a question for all of you wise runners! I am transferring to a university in January and I really want to start training and running barefoot but, alas, it is cold in January. There is, however, an indoor track on campus that I can use...I am assuming it is just concrete or maybe that rubber material. Would that be an alright place to train for BFR or do I need to work on sucking it up and running on pavement in the cold? And I plan on running outside as weather permits but is the indoor track a suitable place to train?

Thanks!!

Zach:

Any surface that you can handle and is inherently safe (no lava beds, broken glass fields, etc.) is good to run on. I use VFFs in the winter, but I would strongly recommend that you not use them or any other shoes until you've got many months of BRF under your belt, and the resulting good form that develops. Shoes as tools are fine from my perspective when it's too cold, too hot, too sharp or too rough for your soles and their current state of development, BUT ONLY AFTER YOU'VE GOT YOUR BF FORM DOWN COLD!! I failed to heed these pieces of advice, although they were provided to me clearly and succintly, and I broke a bone in my left foot as a direct result. I think I've emphasized the preparation/learning curve enough here, so I'll leave it up to you after these stern warnings. Happy running!

Hi, Zach - I began with Vibrams and found I was getting a lot of top of foot pain. When I began going barefoot almost all of the time, it went away. Last year was my first winter after a barefoot summer. Couldn't handle as much cold as I can with the cold this second year. Still, don't feel pressure to be trying the colder temps just because other have. You need to be able to feel your feet!

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7