New minimalist and aspiring barefoot runner from KY

Thanks guys! Yall may not think so but all of these replies really help me get motivated and help my plan for future training! Thanks for the tips! On another note, are there any guides to running diets that ya'll use or can I just eat what I want? I honestly don't know much about diets and what not.

Thanks!

Reactions: happysongbird
YOUR diet should be much more than A diet. It's not a short-term fad plan, it's a lifestyle. Try to eat reasonably healthily, limit fats and sugars, focus on leaner meats and veggies, limit starches and carbs (which turn into sugar while you are still chewing them up). Your diet should be driven like your finances - by a budget that you plan and control. If you want to spend more in one place (eat more of one thing), then you have to balance it out over time or across other spending (eating) categories. Unlike a budget, though, there are calories that are more valuable for the same denomination than others. A silver dollar is worth the same as a paper dollar at the store, but 300 calories of Twinkies are not worth the same as 200 calories of grilled chicken and broccoli or green beans or asparagus. At your tender young age (or at least when I was that age) you might well be able to pretty much whatever you want and in whatever quantities sound good at the time. You will find that if you live long enough (into your late 20's or 30's) that the habits you form now, including eating habits, will not change much, while your metabolism will tend to slow down significantly. A healthy diet (with occasional Twinkies, but not at every meal, and not a box at a time) along with steady endurance/aerobic exercise (running, biking or swimming for example) and some strength training (weight, nautilus machines, or my favorite body-weight exercises like pushups, pullups, and crunches) will help keep your metabolism running a little more quickly, which means both more calories you can take in and more things in life that you'll be able to do. You don't have to live on chia seeds and water, but you need to manage your diet as closely as you manage your money (which you also need to start paying close attention to if you haven't already). Basics here, but the details are largely up to you and your body.

Glad that seems to have at least got you thinking in the right direction, Zach.

And thanks Rick for your support. Life's too short to eat healthy food ALL the time. A little horrible-for-you-goodness once in a while makes the rest of the discipline needed to maintain a healthy diet bearable.

Balance is key to sucess in most areas of life, including this one. It also keeps you from falling over while you're running.

Will a smooth indoor track still toughen my feet up or will I still be sensitive when I actually run on pavement when it warms up a little?

Alright guys another question for ya. I have been running barefoot consistently for over a month now and I absolutely love it. However, last night I upped my distance to 4 miles on the indoor track at my college. I did it very easily and it was fun but when I got home I noticed 2 small blisters (or beginnings of them) on the outside of my big toes. These are the first blisters I have gotten (which means my form is decent I guess) and I was wondering if it was in fact something with my form or if it was just due to the increased mileage and the longer exposure to running. They dont bother me and are hardly noticeable but it still annoys me.

Thanks guys!

Zach

If you changed your pace, you may have altered your form some. If you were a bit more tired, you may have been slipping slightly with those later steps more than you knew. I ran recently on a wood track on got a blister and my feet are pretty tough still from the fall.

Reactions: ZachG1

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test