New member intro

Hi from Brisbane, Australia

I've been doing a lot of hiking in the bush around here and started a bit of trail running which I've been enjoying but I've been wanting to move toward barefoot (running and some of my hiking). I picked up a pair of Merrel trail gloves a couple of weeks back but was very hot and I only got to try them out a few days ago.

Rather than go to the trails I hit the local park and did 5 laps of a 1km loop (approx 3 miles?), about half grass and half concrete path. It was probably a bit far for a first minimal run but I constantly checked my stride, it felt great and I'm happy. After that run I've walked a lot but not run again yet. No aches, no pains. I'll drop back to a shorter daily distance for a while and look forward to working up to 10km barefoot trail runs over the local mountain.

Welcome! Please feel free to join the Australia Chapter, Chapters link above.

Reactions: peter.robinson
Thanks for the welcomes :)
A couple of days ago I went for my first fully barefoot run, on the roads near home, they are rough bitumen. Went about 1km and no hassles at all.
Yesterday I took my Trail Gloves, headed out to Mt Glorious, ran a few of the tracks then came back closer to home and hiked some Mt Coot-Tha tracks. I'm loving these shoes. It's so much nicer than clomping around in my big hiking boots!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Welcome! Just the thought of dealing with a sweltering summer cheers me up.

That first trail you ran on, the 1 km grass and concrete loop, sounded like a good place for BF training.

...but please take it easy on the BF ramp-up. There be dragons....

Welcome! Just the thought of dealing with a sweltering summer cheers me up.

That first trail you ran on, the 1 km grass and concrete loop, sounded like a good place for BF training.

...but please take it easy on the BF ramp-up. There be dragons....

Wise words from Father Joseph. Slow and steady keeps from breaking anything.

Wise words from Father Joseph. Slow and steady keeps from breaking anything.

As a fallen Catholic (and subsequently a fallen Unitarian, which takes real effort, believe me) that particular form of address gives me the creeps.

...but thanks for the thought.

On a side note:
- athiests don't believe in God.
- agnostics aren't sure.
- apethists (like me) don't care that much any more.

Reactions: Phil Hart
Oh yes, slow and steady it is. It has been such a hot summer here, with record breaking heat, I'm forced to take it slow, only getting out for a gentle run when it's a bit less hot and getting overheated pretty quickly. Maybe this heat is good for something - keeps me from overdoing the running

As a fallen Catholic (and subsequently a fallen Unitarian, which takes real effort, believe me) that particular form of address gives me the creeps.

...but thanks for the thought.

On a side note:
- athiests don't believe in God.
- agnostics aren't sure.
- apethists (like me) don't care that much any more.
No offense meant, JT. That's just one of many rotating titles I humorously and appreciatively (those are my only intents anyway) bestow on people when they show a gleam of wisdom.

Reactions: JosephTree
After doing a short run each day, in my trail gloves, on Saturday a friend asked if we could hit the local mountain for a bit of a walk/run. We did 5km up, along the top and back again, about half/half running & walking. It was interesting to listen to. I'm much taller but have been concentrating on shortening my stride so my steps were shorter, about 180 per min, his were longer, about 120. I could hear his feet, stomp stomp stomp, but could hardly hear my own. I'm happy with progress but guess it's time to try videoing myself to check my form.
I did walk about 2km along a rough bitumen rd, completely barefoot yesterday, to get the newspaper then back home. That was lovely but I could feel people looking at me and wondering what the looney was doing :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts