New Member From Western Colorado

Ukerunner

Barefooters
Aug 16, 2013
Western Colorado
Hello everyone,

I've been running now for about 2 1/2 years. I have been interested in the idea of Barefoot Running since I started running, but just started slowly trying it out this February. I studied Physical Anthropology in college, so the idea that our feet are built for running unshod was not new to me when I read "Born To Run". I bought a pair of Fivefingers last summer and used them more for walking, only occasionally attempting short runs. But I liked it!

I don't know if I'll ever be a full-time barefooter, but I want to at least use it as a tool for better form. I've been lucky with my running so far in that I haven't really had any injuries or other problems (although this week my right heel is hurting, I think from a 14 mile trail run I did a week ago). For the past six months or so, I've been trying not to do back to back runs in the same shoes (or lack thereof), because I don't want my feet to do the same things all the time. I mix up my road shoes, trail shoes, minimalist shoes, barefoot, as well as road and trail runs (not sure I'll be up to Western Colorado trails barefoot though... lots of cactus!). My boss does trail ultramarathons, and has been encouraging me to do more trail running, which I really enjoy.

I've probably increased my barefoot mileage too quickly, I suppose... The first time, in February, I did 3 blocks at the end of a longer run, then went right out 10 minutes later and did another 4 blocks. The next time, I did a half mile. Then a couple of 1 mile runs, then 2 and three. Just this week, I've done a 3.55 mile, a 2.59 mile, and a 1 mile run. I'm having fun, but don't want to hurt myself!

I'm looking forward to picking up some tips, and (even though it seems unlikely) possibly meeting other barefooters in my area. I'm about 5 1/2 hrs from Denver, on the other side of the mountains, so I won't be holding my breath!

Feel free to join the Colorado Chapter (Chapters link above).

What's the story with your avatar? My son, 10 years old, has taken up guitar again. He first learned on an acoustic; now he is learning on an electric Gibson. His first teacher was strict and not very warm (she's an actual music teacher at a different elementary school). His new teacher is a headbanging metal head. He's loving it now so much more than before! I figure it it's something he loves and can call his own, I can support him in that. I love metal too, so that helps as well! Ha!

Welcome!

Well, I've played bass guitar since 1980, and ukulele since 2009. My avatar is the headstock of a late '20s Gibson Uke-3, which was their top of the line ukulele. I have one, although this photo came from an online picture of a different one that's for sale in Michigan. I also have several Martin ukuleles from the same time period. The Martins sound a lot better, but the Gibson is way cool! I still consider bass to be my primary instrument, but after 33 years, I'm probably about as good as I'm likely to be, so I rarely pick it up outside of band practice or gigs (I play in a couple of bands). Bass isn't that much fun to play by yourself. Ukulele, however, is a blast, and I play a lot on my own, usually several hours a week at least.

It's cool that your son is playing guitar, and that his current teacher is more encouraging than his last. That helps a LOT!

Oh, and I already did join the Colorado chapter.

That is so neat! Nice collection there. I could tell the Uke in the avatar had some loving on it, and that's why I asked.

My son is just starting out, but I have a couple of brothers who play(ed) guitar. They're both really good, but my oldest brother, God rest his soul, was really, really good. I miss him.

Welcome, Uke. Keep taking it slowly, and don't hesitate to ease off a little if something doesn't feel right. Not listening to your feet's feedback at this stage usually leads to injury. Glad to have you with us.
Thanks Phil. The skin on the bottoms of my feet is a little tender, but not too bad. I've been running some in minimalist shoes for a year or so, so my calves are in fairly good shape and not really hurting. My heel has me a little worried, but I don't think that's from barefooting. It feels like a bruise or something, I think from my long trail run last weekend. I was in a new pair of trail shoes which I think I'll like, but it was a pretty rocky trail, and going down a steep hill on a trail is the one time I am most likely to heel-strike!

Reactions: Phil Hart
I'm looking forward to picking up some tips, and (even though it seems unlikely) possibly meeting other barefooters in my area. I'm about 5 1/2 hrs from Denver, on the other side of the mountains, so I won't be holding my breath!
I'm not too far away, near Boise, Idaho - I was just commenting to my husband how much more conditioned my soles are in my 3rd year of this barefoot journey! I was discouraged last summer, but found I made more progress this year with a combo of trying new surfaces and giving myself permission not to push it when I was qorn out.

Dama will call you a sissy, maybe, but I certainly agree, Phil.

Welcome, Uke!
What? are you trying to put words in my mouth mister?:mad:
Do you agree that he's a sissy-are you calling Phil a sissy? The nerve you have.
Sorry Phil about JT.
Oh welcome Uke.

Thank you for the moral and character support, Dama AND JT. I choose to take both of your comments positively.
:sorry::sorry::sorry: all JT's fault

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon