New BFR in Middle Georgia

Hello all,

I stumbled onto BFR a few weeks ago and after some research decided to see if it might be a path into running w/o shin splints. My running experience is very limited and I'm pretty sure I have never ran more than five miles in a week and certainly not in a day.

I started preparing a couple of weeks ago in 12 minute sessions (45s running and 15s walking, 12 reps.)

Prior to this and prior to knowing anything about BFR I was doing 180 inclined squats per leg (~110lbs of weight) twice a week and placing the weight on my forefoot rather than heel just because I didn't understand why anyone would waste the additional muscle involvement by wearing shoes.

Day 1: 1 session, didn't notice anything, forced myself not to do more.

Day 2 & 3: rest, both calves were tight, sore and I looked pretty funny trying to walk on Day 2, but was mostly okay by Day 3.

Day 4: 1 session, seemed fine

Day 5: left leg was tight and I noticed a scrape under the left big toe, looked like I pulled my foot up and to the outside while dragging the toe instead of lifting.

Day 6 & 7: rest

Day 8: 1 session, seemed fine

Day 9: no pain, no tightness.

Day 10: 2 sessions back-to-back

Day 11: haaaha! Everything from my heels to the back of my knees was strung like a cable bridge and was more than a little sore.

Day 12 & 13: rest

Day 14: Today at 0500 I decided I was going to really run, a cold front is moving into the south and I wanted to feel my feet, not that it saved them.

I ran 2.1 miles total, my left leg started tightening about halfway though followed by the right and chip seal is evil, it's the first time I had to get off the sidewalk and cross roads, several times, all chip seal.

Seven hours later and my legs feel mostly okay now, I stopped just as I felt something unpleasant developing across the top of my left instep. I have a blood blister on the right big toe, a blister on the left big toe mound and a couple of small rocks got through the left sole, but didn't bleed until removed.

I think it was a good run and the damage of little consequence, but I'm going to watch that left instep; I also suspect my left leg is a little longer that the right. o_O

Most importantly, no shin splints so far and I look forward to reading and learning more from the BRS!

Welcome Paul!  With blisters

Welcome Paul! With blisters on your toes you may be pushing off or you may be landing with your feet in front of you. There is also a possibility that you are trying to "grab" the ground with your toes, I do this every now and again. You'll get it, you just need to learn to understand the clues your body is giving you.

Welcome, Paul!  Baby your

Welcome, Paul! Baby your calves as much as possible; don't overwork them, especially since you are new to zero drop. When running, only bend them as much as needed in order to prevent heel striking and to run lightly and not push off. I know others may tell you to bend as though you were sitting, but I find some of us have tight, painful calves if we overdo it. It takes time to acclimate to the new way of running, walking, living. You don't want to stretch your calves, Achilles, and plantar fascia too much to start with, so take it easy.

Hi TJ!I'll try reducing the

Hi TJ!

I'll try reducing the knee bend and attempt to take it easy; I just have to get over not having that feeling of running/flying/wind/acceleration for now. I can't wait to see if my legs will even move in the morning or if I'll just crumple in a heap by the bed!

Welcome Paul, I like the foot

Welcome Paul, I like the foot print picture, but I think those nails need a bit of trim ;-) might not be to go for running barefoot, hard to stay silent with all that clicking.

The best transition advice

The best transition advice these fine if somewhat unbalanced folks have sagely given me is to relax your feet. Let them dangle at the end of your legs loosely. Your musculature WILL fire automatically and catch you when you set them down. This should get rid of your banjo-string calves and make the process thoroughly more pleasant overall. Welcome to the crew.

Thanks Bob, I PhotoShopped an

Thanks Bob, I PhotoShopped an image of a fossilized print, but maybe a little noise would be a good thing; I'd hate to pass a walker and make them jump out of their skin.

Hi Phil, I'm glad to see someone from the home state. I've lived in Fayetteville, High Point, and Blowing Rock. I'm sure the body will do what's needed if I allow it, I'll just have to see if I can make myself relax them.

As to my condition this morning, the bottoms of my feet mostly feel fine, but it doesn't matter since the legs will only let me walk in a march style, rolling towards the forefoot is not happening today! No worries, it's entertaining. :)

Hi Paul, be sure to join the

Hi Paul, be sure to join the Georgia and/or North Carolina Chapter, or whichever ones work best for you, so you can join us for some runs. You can join up to four chapters. The Chapters tab is up top.

Paul:I'm glad you survived

Paul:

I'm glad you survived your tour of duty in FayetteNam. I like your other two former dwelling places a great deal more. I'm actually a Tennesseean from just over the mountains. I'm working with the Army at Fort Bragg.

Just be sure not to inadvertently rake an ankle as you relax your feet with those killer toenails. A good vet might be able to help...

Thanks TJ, will do after a

Thanks TJ, will do after a few more runs.

Hahaaa Phil, but no vet needed; Dremel tip #952 takes care of them and those calluses I can now attribute to Morton's Toe (thanks BRS).

I just stopped by this thread to reread the tips now that recovery from the last run seems to be complete.