Mystery solved

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
SO I ran a 5k on Sat. and my heels were a bit sore for the rest of the day. They were fine today but I wasn't sure the reason, until I got this pic. This was about 1/4 mile into the race, we pumped out a 6:59 first mile and as you can see I was just a bit off on my form. Looks like I have just a bit of a heel landing instead of landing under center like I usually do.
I like seeing pics so I can criticize myself..
I.E.5k.jpg

Nah, that is just a flat footed landing. Now for a heel strike look at some of those shoddies to the left in the pic. Ouch. Well done though Ram. :)
Ouch.....that hurts all the way over here.....the shoddies that is.
The first 5k I ran BF I think I did a similar thing....of course I think that running a fast pace will give you sore heels even if you are just ever so slightly off your form....which looks like this pic...still not REALLY heel striking though.

I agree with Zetti. I do that too sometimes, especially at slower paces, or when I tire. I get a little off my form, and have a very slight heel strike at times until I notice it and correct it.

But video capture can be deceiving. A lot can happen in the remaining split second it takes for the foot to land. I would be more concerned about how far out the leg is extended. That's probably the cause, right?

Reactions: Zetti
No, that's a heel strike. Your leg is planted way out in front of you, and your knee looks locked. You need to focus on running with bent knees. But then again, as I have said before, a heel strike now and again, especially in a race environment, is not a big thing to worry about; running with a heel strike all the time, barefoot or shod, is a problem.

Reactions: NickW
Yep, I warmed up and I'm used to racing. I think this one time I just wasn't paying attention.

i don't know. i run with paraganek a lot and when you see pics of him it looks like he has a massive heel strike. in reality he flick the front of his foot down just before contact so his landing is nearly flat. maybe you do the same. video would work better than a pic.

Reactions: NickW and Zetti
But is his leg outstretched that far in front of him with his knee locked?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon