My new treadmill strategy

Shaun Mac

Barefooters
Aug 12, 2011
So I'm up to 3 miles now! I had a 3 miler on my schedule tonight, but we were having 40 mph winds gusting up to 50. I really didn't feel like fighting the wind. So I decided to go to the gym (Snap Fitness) and run on the treadmill. Now I was worried about the heat buildup, but then I realized..."Hey, there are 6 treadmills here, the gym doesn't make you sign up to use them, so if they are empty, they are yours"

So I started on one, did a mile, jumped to the next one, did a mile, jumped back to the first one and did the final mile. It was perfect. It takes about a mile for the treadmill to heat up to the point where I felt it, so then I moved to a cool one. No foot pain today.

Reactions: happysongbird
see, i cant run on treadmills

see, i cant run on treadmills at all barefoot, i hurt myself too much, i find treadmills more dangerous than sneakers. but thats an awesome strategy for the heat. so long as you are there when its quiet. good thinkin!

I tried this too, but before

I tried this too, but before I got any good advice on form and the treadmill tore up my soles. I'm curious if trying agian with the "lifting" strategy would be different.

L

Yes, treadmill belts are

Yes, treadmill belts are remarkably rough on your feet in the beginning. Lifting does help. For me though the heat was the big thing that hurt.