My first "winter" race BF

Well, not the real winter you hardcore guys from Midwest with single digit temperatures run in but the local variation we are blessed with here in Northwest. :wink:

I signed up for 10k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. The race was on a paved trail in a park, the temperature was 32F and there were some icy patches mixed with a little snow on the trail.

I had gathered all the information about running BF in winter here on the forum before (thank you everyone) so I dressed warmly, put vasoline on top of my feet and stayed in my flip-flops until the starter gun. I was a little worried about running on the ice but the organizers made a bypass at the very last moment to avoid the largest icy section so we could run on grass instead.

There was a lot of runners so the first two minutes everybody was just walking and I started worrying about my cold feet but when I finally managed to get to my tempo my feet warmed up and I felt great and pretty confident about the rest of the run. I passed a lot of people and this was the first time I actually noticed and was wondering about how most of the shod runners loudly slap their feet with low cadence huffing and puffing.

I finished easily in 50 minutes with a big smile at the finish line hearing a megaphone announcement: "We got a barefoot runner here, it must really hurt to run barefoot especially in this cold weather" :bigsmile:

My feet were just fine, not a single blister, I only felt a bit of soreness on my front pads afterwards but that was gone by evening that day.

More races like this ! :love:

stomper wrote:nice job. but,

stomper said:
nice job. but, vaseline??

I got that idea from Abide barefoot-runner-qualification-thread

Vaseline just as any layer of fat works as a pretty good thermal insulation so if you put it on top of your feet it reduces loosing heat from swishing them in freezing air.

Congrats on a fine race,

Congrats on a fine race, Para! I would worry that the vaseline would melt and cause me to slip and slide everywhere. You don't put that around your toes do you? Do you really think the vaseline made a difference?

Barefoot TJ wrote:Congrats on

Barefoot TJ said:
Congrats on a fine race, Para! I would worry that the vaseline would melt and cause me to slip and slide everywhere. You don't put that around your toes do you? Do you really think the vaseline made a difference?

It makes a difference to me here when it is bellow 34F or so. It does not melt, maybe it is just some "vaseline thing" (being so thick) that in these temperatures it stays on. By the way I am pretty sure even if I put it on my soles, it would be gone after running a hundred yards.

Excellent!  Good for you!I

Excellent! Good for you!

I have yet to actually race BF. I ran a 10 mile trail race on Halloween and then a 5K yesterday (Turkey Trot) Both races were BF-able in retrospect. I just wimped out becaulse I didn't know what was ahead of me before running. A little more confidence and I'll be ready to go au natural.

Even in Vibrams I heard the clunky thumping of the shodders. It's spooky how noisy they can be.

Congrats, Para! I did my

Congrats, Para! I did my first race barefoot as well on Thanksgiving Day. Mine was only a 5k though, but it was C-O-L-D! Probably around 30 degrees. Hmmmm. Hadn't thought about the vaseline, but I can see how that might actually work. What was your opinion? Did it seem to make a difference? I had to start out in VFFs so my feet could warm up a bit, but once I took them off, my feet were really quick to warm up.

Congrats, Zap!

Congrats, Zap!

zapmamak wrote:Hmmmm. Hadn't

zapmamak said:
Hmmmm. Hadn't thought about the vaseline, but I can see how that might actually work. What was your opinion? Did it seem to make a difference?

It works for me. My feet warm up much faster when I put it on top of them.

That is funny.  Do you notice

That is funny. Do you notice how many people are looking at you in that picture? Cracks me up.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7