My first war mark......

• Thread starter Humboldt-explorer
  • Start date

Humboldt-explorer

Went on a 3.3 mile run yesterday. Noticed after the run I got a blood blister on my right great toe. Not very big. Fairly minimal. I've been running on a paved trail most of it in wooded areas. So sometimes I'm running on wet pine needles, sticks, and sometimes small sections of loose gravel. So I guess I stepped on something that did not puncture, but gave me a blood blister. This was actually the driest run I have gone on so far since I started running. Except for the areas with the wet pine needles covering trail. My first war mark since starting to BF run. Surprisingly I'm can't believe the bottom of my feet look so nice. A side from the newly acquired blood blister.

It looks much better the next morning. Pretty flat, and does not look like much blood is loose inside at all. It's more towards front area of bottom of great toe. So not completely on the main landing surface area. I suppose I'll keep it clean, and covered. Trod on in running......

Anyone else acquire these on bottom of your foot ? The debri on the trail probably is not optimal for running BF, but it adds a little dance of fun...

Now you know we like pictures

Now you know we like pictures or at least I do. ;-)

I have not been successful

I have not been successful thus far at adding a pic in a post. I have followed the video instructions. I'll keep trying as time allows.

I started just today e new blog for my barefoot experience. It's a brand new blog so I don't have too much on it yet. You can view the blood blister pic here.........

http://barefootbutner.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-went-on-3.html

I got, like, 4 blood blisters

I got, like, 4 blood blisters when I was first starting out...ended up limping home after 1/2 a mile, keeping to the grass because it hurt so bad. Scared the husband half to death. I popped mine in the bathtub under running water and wore foot coffins for a week...ahhhhh the good old days.

My form sucked SO MUCH starting out. Just another reason why barefoot rocks! Your feet tell you when they've had enough!

Mine weren't terrain-related though, just caused by super-bad form on regular rough sidewalk.

I just got a blood blister

I just got a blood blister at the head of my second meta on the left foot after trying to adopt a more bent-kneed approach like Barefoot Ken Bob advocates, but I'm not going to say anything about it on here because I know I'd get flamed...

Interesting point, BFMary, I

Interesting point, BFMary, I have a copy of Fixing Your Feet by John Vonhof. He recommends against draining blood tinged blisters because of the risk of infection. I debated about 36 hours, couldn't stand it anymore, and carefully drained it with a couple of pretty tiny holes. I've kept lots of neosporin on the area, as well as my fingers crossed.

Yeah...infection was a big

Yeah...infection was a big concern for me too starting out. I used A LOT of hydrogen peroxide before, during, and after blisters especially running on old ones. It's great for cleansing out the gunk, better than soap and water in my experience.

Gotta love the big brown bottle...I remember I used to be terrified when my mum pulled it out when I was a kid with a sliver or a skinned knee. :lol:

Tex, why do you think you

Tex, why do you think you would get flamed for stating your opinion on this? No one I can think of on this site is that brutal. Give it a shot. I'd like to hear what your view is on that.

HE, looks like you were

HE, looks like you were toeing off, but you already know that. ;-)

My comment was a bit

My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, BFTJ :)

Honestly though, the bent-knees didn't work well for me. I felt unnatural, slow, and twingy in my knees after the run. So I ditched the bend, went back to running "tall" and had a great 8.5 mile trail run yesterday. That's just me, though.

Then again, maybe I looked more like Groucho Marx than Barefoot Ken Bob when I tried the bend ;).

That run was a little sloppy

That run was a little sloppy for me. Certainly needed to clean things up. The good news is the blood blister never interfered with any running since getting it. It was a minimal war mark. I feel like the newly acquired BF running is going very well for me ! Today I did 3.65 miles.

I've gotten more than my fair

I've gotten more than my fair shair of blood blisters, water blisters, embedded bits and bloody raw spots and I would still have to say that none of them ever amounted to much. If my feet were too bad I would take two or three days off in between runs. I normally run on wicked chip and seal though so maybe that's part of my problem. :O

No problem, Tex.  We're all

No problem, Tex. We're all different. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. When it comes to bending the knees, it works for most but not all. Just remember if you are out there and starting to get tired and sloppy with your form or heel striking (not that you do. ;-) ), try bending your knees again. Definitely, bending the knees prevents us from heel striking. But with that said and out of the way, you've apparently found what works for you, so definitely go with that.

I have found that blood

I have found that blood blisters are not so much terrain related as form related. I am not referring to forefoot vs. heel strikes. I am reffering to lifting rather than pushing off. If you are pushing off with each stride you will begin to develop blood blisters on your big toe, and often on the digit next to your big toe. To avoid the blisters focus on landing softly then lifting rather than landing softly and pushing off.

I've had some good run ins

I've had some good run ins with blisters

My latest crop are in the link below

http://minimalistrunning.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B10%3A30&updated-max=2012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B10%3A30&max-results=8

These were the ones I got walking 4km to the shops on a warmish (ok quite warm) pavement, aided and abbetted by a run the next day on a very hot pavement yeouch, followed next day by a long 14km run along the beach and road.

I think my poor feet need a rest

Covering the pads in vitamin B cream for a few days to sort them out.

Neil

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts