my first taste of haterade

Jimmy Hart

Barefooters
May 11, 2010
after my half today i was at the awards ceremony and standing right behind me are three runners saying my shoes were stupid and that all this barefoot stuff is a fad. if and when all the pros start doing it they will do it to but until then we are just a bunch of people looking for attention with unfounded science.

needless to say i was peeved but people are entitled to their opinion so i let them talk. they then quoted some more nonsense as they kept up the jabs at me and my passion that is barefoot running. i politely, and i mean that, told them that they were wrong on some levels as a lot of pros and elites do barefoot running in practices. it was a coach for the usa track and field who first turned me onto this so they it is done by pros. a man looked at me and said "that is a lie, you guys just make stuff up trying to validate yourselves and that Haile Gebrselassie said he he ran bare in Kenya because he had to and he would never run without shoes again so I was lying to them" i took great offense and told them i was not lying and that i work with pro athletes who do use this technique and that it would make no sense for them to switch as they are pros and the transition would start them over. i also admitted that if it aint broke dont fix it but dare not call me a liar when you are just a small town runner getting info from the internet and i have trained with professionals for the past 10 years.

they stopped the conversation there because i think they were in fear i might want to "take it outside" but the nerve to look right at me and say i'm a lying snake oil salesman was too much to bear. i've read rants online about how we're all crazy and push our beliefs on people as if we are a crazy cult but wow...in person. makes me sad when most people there thought it was cool that i have found a way to run again after injuries that ended my competitive career. to each his own but beware my friends...some people just dont like us and want to let us know

That sucks. I'm really sorry

That sucks. I'm really sorry you had to deal with such ignorant, close minded people.

With everything in life,

With everything in life, there will be those who are for or against something. All we can do is smile each and everytime we are approached with opposing views, even hatred. When we smile and hold our head high, we show them that we can't be broken, that we believe in what we are doing, and that we will not waiver.

Kudos to you for being a gentleman.

Now next time, you tell them they don't want "me" coming over there. Yea, that's right!

i'll start throwing your

i'll start throwing your name around TJ! that should get all scared. i agree with you though that there will always be opposition. i just wasnt expecting it today in a small race i guess. still i dont like negativity and i dont put it out there, i dont let it stay around me, and i will certainly not let someone throw it on me like that. there is room in running for all of us and some of these running snobs are gonna have to realize that...especially when we barefoot folks go running past them. i will however always let them know they are doing a good job as i pass :)

I remember the first time

I remember the first time someone "whispered ugliness" about me and my VFFs. I was running my second Half in a pair of VFF Sprints, and these two girls covered their mouths whispering and pointing at me and my shoes. I walked, more like brushed (I took advantage of it being crowded - ha, beeatches!), right past them and said, "Yea, that's right. I'm running in these!" all the while with a ginormous smile on my face.

I don't blame you for not taking their guff. I wouldn't either. I would just do it with a big smile on my face. They start to think maybe there is something wrong with them when they realize the energy is positive on my side and negative on theirs. Reverse psychology and all that.

I hope this helps. Just know that you are NOT alone. There are others out there just like us who believe in the benefits and joy in running barefoot. Know that you are doing your part to help others find those benefits and that joy, because you are.

TJ!  i love the positivity.

TJ! i love the positivity. i am fully aware that i am not a lone and i spent ten times more time with people who wanted to know about my shoes and running than i did on that guy with the attitude. i was able to throw in some great plugs for the brs and generated a lot of positive buzz. all in all it was a great day that PR'd in so i'm happy.

Unfortunately, there will

Unfortunately, there will always be people who are distrustful of science and evidence. I don't think there is anything you can really do to chance their opinion in that case. They will probably never understand why you continue to enjoy running injury free for years to come.

I also wonder if at some level, they are pissed about the fact they are wasting so much money on shoes that are hurting them and slowing them down. They might not want to admit that fact, so instead they attack you.

Fortunately, for the most part people are generally supportive and curious when they come across someone who has ditched their traditional shoes.

ugh, it's so disgusting to

ugh, it's so disgusting to hear that individuals, adults nonetheless would even speak to someone that way. It's one thing to have your opinions and to be graceful about the, but it's another to be a pompous opinionated jerk and crush the spirits of everyone who doesn't agree with your way. Good for you Jimmy for NOT wanting to sink to their level in "taking it outside";)

As bad as that sounds about

As bad as that sounds about the jerks talking to you like that it is getting better when it comes to this sort of thing. I've noticed a definite improvement in other runners attitudes toward barefooters in the last year but there are still going to be a few people like around for awhile.

Good job handling that!

Nice job taking the high

Nice job taking the high road! That would be tough not to meet negativity with negativity.

I have seen some ladies at the lake where I run snicker everytime I passed them and yet I was still running when they were packing up to leave. One stayed out on the trail for a while and smiled when we passed each other. She wasn't so friendly when she was with her friends. Maybe in a less crowded setting he would not have been so bold.

I lost whom I thought was a

I lost whom I thought was a good friend over my running barefoot. She was so appalled, she just couldn't believe it. Do I miss her? Naw!

wow!  just lost a whole

wow! just lost a whole friend? just like that? "hey look these are my toes" "oh my gosh i'm out, i can't be your friend, you big freak" that's how i saw it in my head
smile.png

thanks for all the support folks. truth be told i wasnt really bothered by any of it till he called me a liar. it was a tough spot for sure. if i just back down i look like he caught me lying, and if i push back too strong then i'm some kind of fanatic lunatic who's not wearing shoes. i figured intellectual was the best way to go even though every part of me really wanted to offer up a race just to show who's who cuz that's how real men do it!

wow!  just lost a whole

wow! just lost a whole friend? just like that? "hey look these are my toes" "oh my gosh i'm out, i can't be your friend, you big freak" that's how i saw it in my head
smile.png

Yep, that's basically how it went. :) If that's what it takes to get rid of a so-called friend, then weeding them out will be easy.

Wow thats crazy reminds me

Wow thats crazy reminds me of jr. high I couldn't afford any brand name shoes and these kids in my gym class were making fun of me for that. I haven't faced anything like that although I did see a little girl laugh at me in my huaraches but that was more innocence then anything mean spirited. i can't believe someone would actually argue with you over what kind of shoes you were wearing. I didn't think there was an acceptable form of footwear to run in. If I see someone wearing a cool shoe or just something different in general I ask them about it instead of being ignorant.

free runner i am in debate

free runner i am in debate about my feet all the time. the area i'm in, plano, is hugely into fitness and running is a monster out here. the city has paved trails literally dissecting itself just for runners. running stores out here are popular and very successful and of course running shoes with all the latest bells and whistles are the only way to go. for me to be doing what i'm doing just doesnt register and i must be some kind of loon.

still i didnt expect any of that at the race i ran because it was out in the country in a small town but i guess running snobs can be anywhere and this guy had the feel of that about him.

You renegade you!

You renegade you!

Jimmy,Taking the high

Jimmy,

Taking the high ground is certainly admirable (since that's generally where one has the best tactical advantage) but if it ever comes to "taking it outside" by all means please give me a call. I'd be thrilled to help you educate some shod runners on the "benefits" of barefoot butt-kicking. Texas isn't that far away.

Just kidding...mostly.J) Keep the faith.

Semper Fi,

Warren

Get 'er done, Marine!Jimmy,

Get 'er done, Marine!

Jimmy, you are the one with the clue; the others are the ones lacking. ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts