Min-shoe for Ultra Hiking

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
So I have pretty much given up on all shoes for running, but I am considering looking at shoes for long hikes. Specifically a Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim hike. I did a Rim to Rim hike last year in Merrell Trail Gloves with no problems, but I think doubling the distance might require more padding. I am thinking about the Merrell Bare Access or the Altra Samsons. Any thoughts?

Rick W.

I did Yosemite last summer in my homemade huaraches. They were fine for that, but if you must have shoes either of those should be fine. The Bare Access is too narrow for me personally but they are the most anatomically correct "bare" shoes that Merrell makes.

What about the Luna ATS or the VFF Spyridon? Or are you looking for a "regular" shoe? If so, maybe the Altra Lone Peak. Its got a 17mm stack height and zero drop.

If you order from Running Warehouse, you can get a 10% discount using Runblog10

I guess I should mention what shoes I have and why they would not work for me on long hikes.

Huaraches - 2 pairs of Unshoes and 1 pair on order. The latest version does not have a strap in between the toes. Straps could become irritating on long hikes with steep vertical.
Vibrams - 4 pairs. All have become too small and my toes are cramped. I might still use my Treks for some hikes, but I have worn a hole in them. I am not too anxious to buy any more vibrams right now.
Merrell Trail Gloves - Still use, but are too narrow. They would become uncomfortable when the feet swell.
Altra Lone Peaks - Great shoe, but too heavy. The toe box is very wide. The Altra Instincts are slightly lighter, but still too heavy.

Barefoot? I think a single crossing of the Grand Canyon is possible and I would love to try it in the future, but a double, no way (not for me, perhaps one of the other guys here might try it).

Nick - I was thinking that the Bare Access was going to be too narrow. I was hoping to try on a pair thinking that Merrell might have made them slightly wider, but from the reviews I have read, they are going to fit similar to the trail gloves. I might be getting the wide version of the Trail Glove.

Ya the Bare Access is wider in the midfoot but it is still narrow. Us widefoot people will not be able to wear them. I have not tried the wide TG, but now that I know there are wide ones I may try them myself. Have you looked at any of the Inov-8 shoes? They are known for their trail shoes and I know they have some that are 3mm of heel to toe drop. Not sure if they have any trail shoes that are 0 drop yet. A lot of their shoes run narrow but they do have some of their newer models that are more anatomically correct and wider.

The Luna ATS is no longer sold so that would not be an option for you. I have the ATS and I hated the straps so I replaced the straps. I am still trying to find a good comfortable lacing method for them. You can still purchase the sole but the non slip footbed was not for sale last time I looked. My homemade huaraches have a really comfy lace on them that is fine when dry but as soon as they get wet they are terrible and stretch. These were the laces that I used in Yosemite and they were perfect while I was there. My homemade are super comfy at about 4mm of total thickness with a suede leather footbed and rubber sole.

With all my knowledge I seem to have on shoes I'm starting to wonder if I should get into the shoe business....... My wife says I have a shoe problem, I own more shoes than she does.....

I thought of another to check out. The NB Minimus zero trail. They have them in wide widths on the shopnewbalance site.

The original NB minimus MT10 model now comes in wide sizes now and I think it would be a perfect shoe for the grand canyon. The 110s might be good too, although I didn't like how they fit as much as the minimus.

I looked at the zero drop trail minimus today it looks like it might have some promise as long as it fits. And it only weights 4.4 oz.

I'm still thinking about getting a dropped shoe. I'm thinking there may some benefit running or hiking the hills vs. going for a zero drop shoe.

Thanks PB Junkie and Abide. I got to try on the NB minimus trail at a store this weekend. The lack of weight was shocking. They were almost as light as my huaraches. I loved how flexable the sole was too. I did not buy them because the toe is just funky, reminds me of a cowboy boot and the width was too narrow. I usually wear a 10.5 to 11, but I had to try an 11.5 to be wide enough and that left about 1 inch of toe space. I got to look at an Altra Samson but they were out of my size. Heavier shoe and stiffer sole, but shaped more like a foot. The store should have my size by weekend.
Abide - On a dropped hiking shoe, probably not for me. I still use boots, shoes, and sandals with a drop for work and by days end my knees ache. Trying to find flat alternatives for work, or soon I'll just saw off the heels on my boots.
images
images

My take on the Vivos after having used a pair of Off Roads all winter (same sole, different upper) : Great shoe for mud, the best in terms of traction I've tried. Might work on slippery rocks but I wouldn't bet on it. Not that great on sharp rocks. If something sharp and small enough manages to find its way in between the lugs there really isn't anything there to protect your sole and since it's so random you won't be ready for it. In other words, a great shoe in the right conditions but I doubt Grand Canyon offers those conditions.

Thanks PB Junkie and Abide. I got to try on the NB minimus trail at a store this weekend. The lack of weight was shocking. They were almost as light as my huaraches. I loved how flexable the sole was too. I did not buy them because the toe is just funky, reminds me of a cowboy boot and the width was too narrow. I usually wear a 10.5 to 11, but I had to try an 11.5 to be wide enough and that left about 1 inch of toe space. I got to look at an Altra Samson but they were out of my size. Heavier shoe and stiffer sole, but shaped more like a foot. The store should have my size by weekend.
Abide - On a dropped hiking shoe, probably not for me. I still use boots, shoes, and sandals with a drop for work and by days end my knees ache. Trying to find flat alternatives for work, or soon I'll just saw off the heels on my boots.
images
images

I ordered a pair of the NB minimus from Amazon. I went up a 1/2 a size to account for swelling and they were still too small. So I returned them and went to the actual NB store to try on a pair to figure out the correct size. The sales lady thought a size 10 fit me best...I am normally a 8.5! I felt the 9.5 fit best and that is what I ended up ordering (they didn't have the color in stock that I wanted)....anyway long story short I think the NB minimus tends to run small and narrow...but they do make a wide one that might be a better fit for you? Anyway I pick them up this Friday and hope to hit the trails this weekend for a test run!!
Good luck with your search for a good hiking shoe!
Sarah

Thanks for the input. The running store does not have any of the wide sizes in yet for the NB trails. I could be patient and wait for the larger sizes to come in, unless the Altras fit really well. I haven't considered any of the lesser known brands. If I make it to a larger city store that might carry them, I'll try them on.
On the condition of the Grand Canyon trails. The main routes for the rim to rim are actually quite smooth. Most of the rocks have been pulverized by the mule trains and also covered in their manure. You usually don't have to worry about muddy conditions except for the urine puddles. So besides the distance, vertical change, and possibly hot conditions near the river, I would rate the trails as barefoot friendly. Abide and Buzgal, I'm thinking mid May if you are interested.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7