Mileage Reporting 3rd Week of 2013

Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
9.2 miles trail. When I got there an hour after sunrise, there were already about 8 cars in the parking area. I didn't really see anyone on the trail, so they must have been at the campsite. It might have been the boy scouts again.

I ran past two women just entering the trail, out for a hike with their cameras. Apparently, someone had mowed the trail, which was nice as some of the clippings covered up some the of horse apples. Scared off a small deer in the usual spot. I saw the women again while going back and paused to give them some directions. No comments on being barefoot, though one lady remarked, "He's not even out of breath." That was quite encouraging!

3.31 mi / 5.3 km,
3.9 miles overall
9 F, -6F / -20 C windchill

It was pretty cold today, but my new gear kept me nice and warm and pretty dry. I headed out in my Moc3s and a pair of the Drymax socks Sid recommended. My experimentation with my minshoes--the Bare Access & the GoBionics--has concluded after a rigorous trail of 3-4 runs. I guess I'm just not a minshoe kind of guy. I likes the min-moc(assin)s better. Mostly because I don't have to worry about foot landing with them. I run pretty much the same as I do barefoot with the Moc3s on. I'll still use the Neo Trails for fresh snow though.

Anyway, I planned on doing an easier paced, continuous, short run today, just to stay on top of things after missing yesterday's run and to set up the rest of the week. I ran a bit more than a mile, stretched, then ran another 2 miles or so and was heading home when my ITB started to strain a bit. So I walked the rest of the way home. Ave pace was 9.38 mm. I guess I better stick to fartleks and sub-9mm paces for a while yet.

Now I'm off to try to make up for my missed ST day on Friday.

My experimentation with my minshoes--the Bare Access & the GoBionics--has concluded after a rigorous trail of 3-4 runs. I guess I'm just not a minshoe kind of guy. I likes the min-moc(assin)s better. Mostly because I don't have to worry about foot landing with them. I run pretty much the same as I do barefoot with the Moc3s on. I'll still use the Neo Trails for fresh snow though.
The Vivobarefoot's Aqua Lite is nice, with a 3mm sole. I use the Drymax hyper thin socks with them. It's probably as close as one can get with shoes and socks.

However since the Moc3 looks like it's intended to be worn without socks, it's hard to beat a 2mm sole.

I did notice that with my Aqua Lites, that somehow that I've worn through the very thin fabric layer on the inside of the shoe and I can see the sole material. Not a big deal, and perhaps it's due to my footstrike or something.

Someone here on the forum has the Breezy Lite, the European model, which looks more like a regular running shoe.

Edit: I think that wear spot is just me. I just noticed the same wear pattern on the inside of the Dharma. I have a bit of a callus on that area of my foot.

13km today, started nice and easy (about 5'30"/km), and finished strong the last 3km I pushed myself (about 5'/km). I think my feet are well conditioned now, I do not feel any tenderness after the run, my legs are not really tired, and more importantly, my groin holds well so far !! I am starting to work a bit to strengthen my core, as I really think it is not strong enough for longer distances (hence my groin pain coming back regularly)

Saturday was a nice 10k "Freezeroo Race" the temperature was mid 40s It was nice to be warm enough to run BF.
Today was supposed to be a twenty mile training run, but I was still feeling tired from the race, so I only went 11 miles.
I'll try again Wednesday.

The Vivobarefoot's Aqua Lite is nice, with a 3mm sole. I use the Drymax hyper thin socks with them. It's probably as close as one can get with shoes and socks.

However since the Moc3 looks like it's intended to be worn without socks, it's hard to beat a 2mm sole.

I did notice that with my Aqua Lites, that somehow that I've worn through the very thin fabric layer on the inside of the shoe and I can see the sole material. Not a big deal, and perhaps it's due to my footstrike or something.

Someone here on the forum has the Breezy Lite, the European model, which looks more like a regular running shoe.
The Aqua Lite looks good. If I were to get another running shoe, that might be it. It looks like it might hug the foot a bit better than the Moc3s. I've been impressed with the Neo Trails. They're very comfortable and seem to be of high quality--but only time will tell. VivoBarefoot will probably be my go-to minimalist company for any future purchases. My older brother really likes his Dharmas. The GoBionics will continue to be a good casual sneaker, but I don't really have much use for that kind of shoe. The Merrell Bare Access was a complete waste of money. I really have no use for it, maybe hiking on a rocky trail some day.

Back on topic: Later today I'll do my "Front" strength training (chest & upper arms). Yesterday I did half of my "TOP" workout (lats, neck, shoulders, & forearms) after my run, before I was interrupted by my daughter and her friend, who were bored from being inside all day, and wanted to play around on the equipment. I could hardly say no, but this is why I try to do all my ST workouts during the week when the kids are at school. It's just too easy to be interrupted on the weekends when you work out in the garage. I'll try to work the second half of my Top ST--the shoulders and forearms--in with my regularly scheduled front workout later today. I may also try a short one-mile run. I'm wondering if maybe a short run on my non-running days will help keep my ITB loose, or if it will just make it even tighter.

Reactions: happysongbird
Finally got out after the snow on the weekend. We missed it being called a blizzard by 9 minutes. The blizzard conditions have to be maintained for 4 hours to be classified a blizzard. Sure did a lot of snow clearing on saturday so I considered that my cross training. About 2.5 miles today, ran unplugged and it felt really good today. It was about -26C and I was not to warm or too cold, also was not wet either. A little unusual to hit the right layers for a run, or maybe it was running unplugged that made it feel better. Felt more like a trail run though. The guy who plowed the sidewalks was either really tired or drunk, made for a challenging run. :)

I barely had time for a five miler on the indoor track today on my lunch hr.
I must say it was a nice run though.

The Aqua Lite looks good. If I were to get another running shoe, that might be it. It looks like it might hug the foot a bit better than the Moc3s. I've been impressed with the Neo Trails. They're very comfortable and seem to be of high quality--but only time will tell. VivoBarefoot will probably be my go-to minimalist company for any future purchases. My older brother really likes his Dharmas.
I don't know about the Aqua Lite hugging the foot, as it has the widest toe box of out all of their running shoes. I know it just fits me better than the Evo or Neo. Also lighter feeling and more flexible.

I wear the Dharma to work. Got from ebay on clearance.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I don't know about the Aqua Lite hugging the foot, as it has the widest toe box of out all of their running shoes. I know it just fits me better than the Evo or Neo. Also lighter feeling and more flexible.

I wear the Dharma to work. Got from ebay on clearance.
I meant the sole seems slightly more structured than that of the Moc3s. The rubber of the sole on the Aqua Lites comes up a bit on the sides to meet the fabric. Plus, with laces, you tighten the fit from above too. The Mo3s are probably the lightest running shoe/moccasin out there, but they do slide around on my feet just a hair. Today it's supposed to get back up into the 20s, so I'm going to try some barefoot running, but we have another cold spell coming this weekend, so it might be nice to try the Aqua Lites for that. The winter running season is about half over, but it would be nice to have this all sorted out while I'm in this experimental mode and limited in my mileage. Still, $115 for a running shoe I may not like is nothing to sneeze at. I'm accumulating quite a lot of shoes for someone who runs 90-95% bare! One thing on the Amazon customer reviews is that several people complained about the Aqua Lites' lack of durability. I don't know if it's just a few lemons, or an ongoing issue with these shoes. Any thoughts? I may pull the trigger later today so that they arrive on Thursday. Also, the Neos have a more textured tread. Do you notice any difference in traction?

Anyway, yesterday, had a nice ST workout. My bench has come down a bit lately, because I haven't been pyramiding for a while, so yesterday instead of doing my max bench of 215-225, I held steady at 195 x 3-4 reps, three sets, and then did a bunch more five-rep sets at 175, and a few more at 125 before moving on to my flies. My left shoulder was a little sore from the day before, because I had jumped into my cable pull-downs without warming up on lower weights first. I was nervous about being interrupted and so was trying to get through everything quickly. Oh well, should be OK in a few days. I did lay off the shoulder presses yesterday, just in case.

Then after the workout I tried the idea of doing a quick run on a strength-training day, not so much a recovery run as a keep-the-legs-loose-to-avoid-ITBS run. It was 12 F, 10 F windchill out (-12C), but I went out bare anyway, since I was just going to run around the block. Total run was just .3 mi, at 7:42 mm pace. Just as I got back home the tip of my right index toe started to feel a little painful, so there's still some cold sensitivity there, but overall my feet felt fine. And over-overall, by legs and body felt pretty good too. I think this kind of micro-run on my off-days might be something worth pursuing. We'll have to see how I feel on my run later today, but my legs don't seem to be stiffening up as much this morning as they usually do on the second day after a run. Plus the quick warm-up run facilitated a better end-of-workout rolling and stretching session while monkeying around with the kids.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts