Mileage Reporting 3rd Week of 2013

10K +.08 miles at an average 8:42 mm pace at 18 degrees. In my Moc3s on a basically dry asphalt loop. Only place in town that I know of that isn't covered in ice. Having my new Garmin made it more enjoyable because I didn't have to count loops, but could just check the distance once in a while. Made it more like a long course.

2.5 miles with my boy, at dusk. Windy and low 20s for temps. Wearing my new MOC3s that came in the mail only days after i ordered them.

NICE shoes. May be a bit big for me but I"m afraid to downsize. Then again, I'm guessing things will stretch a bit.
Best ground feel in a toe covering shoe, and better than one of my huaraches.
I found myself looking for rough ground just so I could feel it.

tomorrow do diff diff, then you can count that as cross training for same same

Am...am I being mocked? I think I am! Mocked! Indeed!

OK, fine, then - 4.3mi in 46:10.

So, there :p

[As a bracketed aside, I noted that I'm a little bit quicker than I was before. I'm not sure if this is a function of the weight/kettlebell work I've been doing lo these past two weeks, or of I was just fatigued a bit when I was running during the end of the year. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.]

[As a bracketed aside, I noted that I'm a little bit quicker than I was before. I'm not sure if this is a function of the weight/kettlebell work I've been doing lo these past two weeks, or of I was just fatigued a bit when I was running during the end of the year. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.]

It's cuz the new you is so much more super-awesomer-fantabulous than the old you (well, by some margin of seconds ever mile, at the very least). That's why.

5.25 mi / 8.4 km running
6.2 mi / 10 km total
17 F / -8 C,
5 F / -15 C windchill

Did the same run as on Tuesday. I only slept four hours and then had a fitful one-hour-long nap late morning. My head cold started to come back yesterday so I finally went in and got my flu shot. I can't remember a winter like this before. It's like a month now feeling somewhere between draggy and outright sick. I blew off my lower-body ST workout yesterday. Just didn't feel up for it, and with my slightly sore shoulder, I had a ready-made excuse. I'll do it tomorrow, and tomorrow's ST on Sunday.

I ran with my new Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites (thanks again for another great rec Sid!). I took out the insoles and ran with my new Drymax socks. Without the insoles, the Aqua Lites have pretty much the same ground feel as the Moc3s, but with laces, the shoes hug my feet a bit more. I don't know why I like that more than the barely there feel of the Moc3s, but I do. The sole is so thin that my feet actually started to get a bit cold walking back with my daughter and the neighbor's son after picking them up at Discovery Club. We took the long way home and the boy had to stop every 10 steps to look at something. If I run in these shoes in colder temps, I may have to put the insole back in and run with my thicker smart wool socks. We're supposed to get a really cold spell on Sunday and Monday, maybe sub-0 F highs, which is rare in Minnesota.

I ran slower than the last run, but more continuously, with fewer stops to stretch. Still no ITB strain, so things are looking good. I thought about trying to do one of the two fairgrounds loops bare, but my soles were just a hair sensitive after Tuesday's run, so I thought better of it and had a purely shod run. It was nice running with fewer breaks--I found myself getting into that meditative zone and not thinking about the running at all. Hopefully I'll soon be able to run continuously for 45-60 minutes without thinking about my iliotibial bands.

When I got home my toddler son greeted me in the garage with my wife and got out the foam roller for me. How sweet. He knows daddy's routine.

Hope you guys don't mind me lurking around since I don't have anything to report. I enjoy reading the posts. Funny exchange about the dogs. It's quite a sight when I have all six of mine running with me. It must look like a greyhound race track with me being the rabbit. Actually, only two stay with me, the others are off chasing things in the brush.

Since my feet have been craving stimulation from lack of running, I tried a gravel bucket. I found a shallow pan and filled it with some sharp gravel chips. Felt so good to walk in that cold gravel. I left the pan unsupervised for a while and after dinner I planed to do more while the family was watching TV. Started crunching my feet in the gravel and noticed a wet spot. Smelled the gravel and you guessed it, cat pee. Anyone want some cats (TJ)?;) Guess I will buy a tupperware that I can put a lid on. I'm thinking some abrasive lava rock would feel great.

@Lee - I think you have a good routine going with the stretching during the run. Seemed to help me when I had knee problems. When I feel my hips tightening, I find a curb or rock to stand on, dangle the leg off and jut the opposite hip out. Looks funny, but works. The thoughts of when that IT band pain is going to kick in will be with you for a while. Just takes a long time and a string of injury free runs to overcome the doubt. Stick with it.

Hope you guys don't mind me lurking around since I don't have anything to report. I enjoy reading the posts. Funny exchange about the dogs. It's quite a sight when I have all six of mine running with me. It must look like a greyhound race track with me being the rabbit. Actually, only two stay with me, the others are off chasing things in the brush.

Since my feet have been craving stimulation from lack of running, I tried a gravel bucket. I found a shallow pan and filled it with some sharp gravel chips. Felt so good to walk in that cold gravel. I left the pan unsupervised for a while and after dinner I planed to do more while the family was watching TV. Started crunching my feet in the gravel and noticed a wet spot. Smelled the gravel and you guessed it, cat pee. Anyone want some cats (TJ)?;) Guess I will buy a tupperware that I can put a lid on. I'm thinking some abrasive lava rock would feel great.

@Lee - I think you have a good routine going with the stretching during the run. Seemed to help me when I had knee problems. When I feel my hips tightening, I find a curb or rock to stand on, dangle the leg off and jut the opposite hip out. Looks funny, but works. The thoughts of when that IT band pain is going to kick in will be with you for a while. Just takes a long time and a string of injury free runs to overcome the doubt. Stick with it.
Thanks for the encouragement Rick. I've gotten pretty good at 'listening to my ITB' now. First it's tightness, then strain, then pain. So the solution is pretty simple: I just gotta keep the legs preemptively loose. As soon as they begin to feel the least bit tight, I stop and stretch. I'm happy just to be running so I really don't care if I have to stop, or wear shoes, or run faster or slower, or run shorter distances. Whatever it takes. Even if I never get above 5-7 miles per run, I'll be satisfied. I've gone back to treating the runs the way I used to in Chicago, and the way I've always treated the weights. I just let the progress come on its own. Some days I'll be able to push it, some days not, but if I can be consistent, good things will happen. Still, I can hardly wait to begin implementing my criss-training program again, of one tempo run, one hills & intervals run, and one long-steady run per week. I was liking that last fall.

Funny about the gravel. Since my frostnip my feet are starting to soften a bit too, and I miss the stimulation. I've only run a total of about four miles bare since then. Tomorrow it's supposed to be up around freezing, so I'll try a completely bare run then if there isn't too much salt around.

Hope you heal up soon. Miss your reports . . .

3 runs this week for a total of 8 miles so far. 2 days ago my daughter ran with me for the first run outside since she had her ACL repaired. She was a little cautious and just a little scared of running on the ice and snow. She made 2 miles without a incident. Today it was just me and the dog running in snow, and wind with blizzard like conditions. The temps were about -32C with the windchill but I had one of my more comfortable runs in quite a while. Legs felt good, pace felt slow but I felt great. My dog who is black looked like a white polar bear though, but he was not complaining, I can not get out the door for a run without Scamp beating me outside. The only time I leave him at home is when the temp or windchill gets below -40C in the winter or above +30C in the summer.

Absolutely no running!

I put in about 5 hours on the bike this week and 2500 yards in the pool.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts