Mileage Reporting 26th Week of 2013

No exercise today as I am giving my calf a day off. It seems to be better today than it was yesterday so that is good, but for good measure I will let it rest another day and will just do my long run tomorrow or Saturday (assuming the calf feels ok). I also scheduled an appointment for Friday with the doc to get my thyroid checked out. Seems I have a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism and I have a pretty strong family history of that on my moms side. At least if I do have it I will have caught it early and not have gotten, um, as big as my mom did before she found out. Also, from reading about hypothyroidism, apparently a symptom can be pf and muscle and joint pains, not to mention lack of focus, not feeling like you slept despite sleeping 8-10 hours (I feel , trouble remembering things, high cholesterol, and a whole host of other things. My nutritionist buddy has been telling me for a little while that I need to get checked out but I guess I've been procrastinating on it. I figure I'm not getting any younger so I probably should find out as everyone of those symptoms I listed here I have. Man it sucks getting older...[/quote]

Don't be a baby and don't talk to me about getting older!!!
Good luck with your Dr's appointment and good call on the rest day/days.

Glad to see you're back to replying to people inside the quote again Dama. I had seen a while back that you were replying to people the normal way, which was extremely odd for you. Must have the real Dama back again.

Just spicing things up a little, it really gets boring doing it the right way all the time:D

Nick, you'll get used to don't you worry a thing:happy:

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
13km (a touch over 8mi), with 5mi fast in the middle (about 8'20"/mi). I ran on a very flat surface (boooring !!) but the aim was really to make that steady 5mi as regular as possible....And yes Lee, I agree, it is much more fun to just run as you like/feel...And I think this is what I'll do, once I finished this HM program, turns out it will be at the start of our spring, so it will be great to just enjoy the nice weather

Foam roller in action again, on the inside of left calf this time...I got a trigger point that seems to be persistent since sunday !!

1 hour. Gym. Muscles. I am seriously loving the reverse hyperextensions! They really help stabilize my hips, which really helps my running form. I have increased all weights by 2 to 10 lbs.

Reverse hyperextension, that sounds crazy, is it like extending your leg behind ? Where do you put the weights ?

Reverse hyperextension, that sounds crazy, is it like extending your leg behind ? Where do you put the weights ?

This is the beginners version. Later you do it at a hip height table, and then you can add weights to your legs if you want, etc.

No exercise today as I am giving my calf a day off. It seems to be better today than it was yesterday so that is good, but for good measure I will let it rest another day and will just do my long run tomorrow or Saturday (assuming the calf feels ok). I also scheduled an appointment for Friday with the doc to get my thyroid checked out. Seems I have a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism and I have a pretty strong family history of that on my moms side. At least if I do have it I will have caught it early and not have gotten, um, as big as my mom did before she found out. Also, from reading about hypothyroidism, apparently a symptom can be pf and muscle and joint pains, not to mention lack of focus, not feeling like you slept despite sleeping 8-10 hours (I feel , trouble remembering things, high cholesterol, and a whole host of other things. My nutritionist buddy has been telling me for a little while that I need to get checked out but I guess I've been procrastinating on it. I figure I'm not getting any younger so I probably should find out as everyone of those symptoms I listed here I have. Man it sucks getting older...
Dude I have my thyroid checked every year cuz it runs in my family also. For awhile I had borderline hypo. I am pretty sure it wss from a combination of the side-effects of a medication I was taking as well as being overweight. Most people don't know this, but being overweight can cause hypothyroidism, just like vice versa.

This is the beginners version. Later you do it at a hip height table, and then you can add weights to your legs if you want, etc.

That looks such a great exercise Jen, too bad that I am not allowed to do it myself and just because of that I am feeling sad right now:(.

Reactions: Bare Lee
A 50 min recovery run today, thank GOD it was a recovery run because I don't think I could've gone faster even if I wanted to it was HOT 87 degs and H-U-M-I-D:eek: but the good thing is that my soles are already much more adapted to this hot pavement stuff:happy:
Four people I have scared so far this week when I pass by them they don't hear me coming. It's funny how the genders response the males get jumpy and the women scream-I must be a running ninja.:hilarious:

7.16 miles today in my luna originals. Avg'd 11:51 pace. At almost the 4 mile mark I decided the mile home was not going to be enough so the only option left for me to add some mileage was to go back in the hills where I do my hilly runs. Added just a touch over 3 miles and for the first time since getting over my foot injury I hit that limit where my form starts to get sloppy right at the end of my run. I was watching ultra running videos this morning and I guess I got motivated. Actually, I just felt really good this morning and I know if I hadn't been pushing the stroller I would have been able to go much farther. Glad I took yesterday off because today my calf was great and no issues from it. The humidity did almost kill me near the end of the run as I was feeling like I was burning up, even in the shade.

This morning I made a decision to get back to more of my roots and after my daughter leaves in a couple weeks I am going to start running on the trails on Saturdays. I really don't want to run with people so much. It's more for me and being outdoors for the solidarity and peacefulness. I've got a couple runs I am lining up out by Mt Hood that I know are killer trails and will be amazing. Those two runs I am going to have to take someone with me because it would be stupid not to in case something happened, but other than that I will probably be out on Wildwood just because of how close it is. I miss being outdoors and being away from the busy bustling city and I hate that since I've moved out here to Oregon I've not been myself and haven't made time for hikes and runs out in the actual wilderness (Wildwood isn't really wilderness to me since on all sides of the park are city, but it will at least help a little). Back when I was younger I used to go backpacking in the woods for days and I used to fish 4-5 nights a week after work. I haven't fished in a couple years now. I know this year is kind of hard to go camping and hiking as a family because my wife is pregnant, but we have already talked about it and next year we are going to start doing that stuff more as a family because we do not want to teach our kids to be indoors all the time. We would like to teach them about the outdoors and how to survive if they have to, not to mention it is just great exercise.

Zip, zilch, nada. Last Friday, I landed on a rock with my left heel for the second time in as many weeks. I reacted very quickly and it didn't seem too bad--at first. I got home and found that I had also managed to lose a chunk of skin from the bottom of a toe (I assume from compensating for the sore heel). Both are heeling slowly. I hope to run again around the first of next week. My wife is becoming increasingly concerned with this "barefoot thing."

Aborted my run at mile 1.5 due to the traumatizing humidity. Was walking back. I may, or may not, have been texting on my phone when my peripheral vision failed me and I cracked my lower joint on my index toe of my left foot on a root. I am now sitting in the doctor's waiting room, waiting to get my note for missing work, while chewing on kale. What's funny is during my run I was stressing out about not being able to find my Mocs for work. I took care of that problem. I have decided to believe that all of this happened to prevent me from encountering a bear in the woods and being chewed on by it. I cracked both joints on this same toe on my right foot year before last the same way -so really I just wanted to even them out. Ya, that's it!

Four people I have scared so far this week when I pass by them they don't hear me coming. It's funny how the genders response the males get jumpy and the women scream-I must be a running ninja.:hilarious:
I try to say something when I am coming up on people, but that seems to startle them just as badly. They jump around and look all consternated, like, "how did you get there?!"

Today's report. Went a little easy on myself. Just a 20 minutes swim and a 45 minutes on the spinning bike, but a fair amount of intense weeding, too. Time to go out and work on it more, but in the shade mostly now.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon