Mileage Reporting 20th Week of 2013

45 minutes on spinning bike this evening.
Kind of freaked out when I looked up my race for Saturday and the course map says it is 13.84 miles. The main website still says it is 13.1. Hubby thinks that someone ran it for the map and didn't stick precisely to the course. I'm hoping. That extra almost mile is something I'd rather not deal with, especially for my first official half marathon.
Also verified the start time (thanks Joseph Tree) and saw it is earlier than I remembered. Have to be racing at 7 AM. Heat shouldn't be a problem....

Good luck, they added a mile to my first marathon. I figured it out after the first mile all marker were wrong ended up doing 27.2 . about 1/2 way through I asked someone if they knew the course was screwed up, they said yes, I said what should we do, they said keep running!
Just keep putting one foot in front of the other I read in some book.

12km (7.5mi) with 8x4' intervals (2'recovery in between intervals) at an average 4'40"/km. I actually find the 2' intervals harder for some reason....probably because the 1' recovery does not allow my heart to come down quickly enough

yesterday(wed): ran bf back and forth from goal post to goal post on the perfectly tended manicured grass at the high school where my kids have swim practice. felt nice. foot hurt a bit afterwards, but was better this morning

thurs: lunch swim lesson, about a mile walk (minshod) on trails, evening swim, about 45 min. missing st, abs and weights in general. can't get to the gym lately.

Ran 3.1 miles yesterday evening. (should state "bed time" well at least for me) Started yesterdays run at 9:30 pm. Not what I had hoped for but was busy again out at the father in laws farm and didn't get home in time to hit the trail early for a run. Decided to wear VFF since it was dark and run in the neighborhood. Bad things seem to happen when running BF in the dark when unable to see the ground in front of you. Turned out to be not such a good run as I believe my body was tired and was ready to count sheep instead of miles. :( Was hoping to run further but a shower and bed was what my body was hinting.

Today was a bit of a repeat of yesterday as I once again began running too late in the evening. Was tired but was hoping to run 4.5ish miles but just didn't have the steam as my mind was thinking once again of counting sheep.:) Thats two bad running days in a row with very little distance. Only ran 2.5 miles and walked back to the car about another .5 miles and while walking decided that running is no fun when I'm tired. Gonna have to start running earlier by changing my schedule around. Every summer I seem to get into the habbit of getting off work and working until dark. Somehow I need to get my runs in first thing in the morning or there abouts. Will give it another try tomorrow but have another busy day planned...... here we go again.

Thursday afternoon
Middle ST Session

30 minutes on the bike today.
I spent way too long repairing a leak on my bike's front tire. Out of practice I guess. I want to start picking up my son at daycare by bicycle once in a while. It's the same bike I traveled on the last year of my two-year cycling trip (the first year I went through two other bikes). A trusty steed. The daycare is three miles away, but there's a good bike path most of the way. The only tricky part is finding a good route back into our neighborhood on the way to picking up my daughter at Discovery Club. Would be good for my legs, I think, to cycle on my non-running days, and this way I could join all you cats in the cross-training crowd.

Anyway, with the time lost pumping the tire, I didn't have much chance at a decent st pump. So I was thinking of just doing a quick run through of my main "middle" st exercises. But gladly, my younger brother called to offer to pick up the kids, which gave me back the half hour I had lost messing with the bike. So I ended up getting in another full workout and attendant pump.

This 'middle' st workout is a bit different than my other two st workouts, because there's no single heavy exercise, like the bench press in the 'top' st workout, or the deadlift in the 'bottom' st workout, that really anchors the session and blasts the targeted area. It's more of a cumulative pump, but in the end, just as satisfying.
Hey BL. My heel is doing much better, but I still get a little pain after running. Reminds me that I'm not 100% yet (I'd actually be happy with 90%). It has slowed me down quite a bit, but I have seen the distances increase greatly with a run/walk method. Unfortunately not as much barefoot as I'd like, but I still get a few shorter ones in and my barefoot living time has increased (chores around the yard, gardening, work, etc.) because I'm not always worried about saving my feet for a race. I'll try to get caught up with my reports.

Have a great weekend everyone, I'm checking out for a while.
Good to hear of your progress Rick!
Every summer I seem to get into the habbit of getting off work and working until dark. Somehow I need to get my runs in first thing in the morning or there abouts. Will give it another try tomorrow but have another busy day planned...... here we go again.
I'm coming to the same conclusion, at least for my weekend long run. For some reason, summer conspires to prevent any running on weekend afternoons.
Thats way past my bed time ! :oldman:
I hear ya. 9pm and I'm fast asleep most nights.
12km (7.5mi) with 8x4' intervals (2'recovery in between intervals) at an average 4'40"/km. I actually find the 2' intervals harder for some reason....probably because the 1' recovery does not allow my heart to come down quickly enough
Hey Andy, are you doing your intervals on a track, and if so, why are you doing them by time rather than distance? I just started doing intervals last year, and will hopeful start doing them again today, so I'm curious about other people's approaches.
yesterday(wed): ran bf back and forth from goal post to goal post on the perfectly tended manicured grass at the high school where my kids have swim practice. felt nice.
I just re-discovered the pleasures of grass a week or two ago. It's a nice alternative buzz to the hard stuff, no?

Would be good for my legs, I think, to cycle on my non-running days, and this way I could join all you cats in the cross-training crowd.
It seems to do my legs a ton of good, I guess like the macro run does for you, only there's little impact on a bike. Next week I am planning on doing 45 minutes to an hour on the bike on Tuesday and Thursday and then do my puny runs and ST workouts Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Monday - 2 miles local roads...easy recovery run.
Tuesday - 6 miles local roads...ran with no Garmin, felt like I ran fast but turned out it was just a little faster than normal...sun was out and it felt hot, road was burning my feet some...not used to the heat.

Today 4 miles slow trail run in the local woods...whopping 14 min/mile pace...its barely runnable, a good change of pace. This week and probably next week I'm making low mileage as I have to work a bunch and my legs need a bit more recovery after last week.

45 minutes on spinning bike this evening.
Kind of freaked out when I looked up my race for Saturday and the course map says it is 13.84 miles. The main website still says it is 13.1. Hubby thinks that someone ran it for the map and didn't stick precisely to the course. I'm hoping. That extra almost mile is something I'd rather not deal with, especially for my first official half marathon.
Also verified the start time (thanks Joseph Tree) and saw it is earlier than I remembered. Have to be racing at 7 AM. Heat shouldn't be a problem....

Have a great race! You'll do fantastic. Your probably more trainied up than I was lol.

I wonder if the extra mileage was like the Garmin adder that hit me at my half. Not that bad though, but mine came up with 13.45 and after reviewing the course graphically on the map, I see where it plotted me way off from where I really was. Probably would not have realized this unless I downloaded a topo map - the map that comes with the software is totally crap. But with a real topo map with all the roads on it I can cleary see it plotted me in spots that I was not. I can't be certain the course was actually a perfect 13.1 but I am certain my Garmin added mileage to it.

Good luck on your race and don't forget to pace yourself...very important.

I thought at a race you were supposed to go as fast as you can! :D Yeah I didn't really pace myself last time and man was the last half a struggle. You might want to pay attention to Dama and never take any of my advice!

Yesterday did some speed intervals. Probably overdid it. I was tired all day from only about 3hrs of sleep and was debating cancelling the run altogether. But on my drive home I felt good, lots of energy, plus some frustration and stress I felt like I needed to escape from (not lack of sleep, other stress). I probably should of canceled or just took it easy but after I got out there I just felt like going all out. So I did one mile all out runs with about 1/2 mi easy pace inbetween. A bit over 9mi including my warmup and cooldowns, with 4 fast miles in there...

garmin5-17-13.JPG

I was pretty much all out (for a training run atleast) and it felt great. Well my right calf was getting tight on the last one, and was a bit sore afterward and this morning.

Got me excited thinking about my 5k goal for the year. I hope by fall to finally break a 20 min 5k. Those three miles are pretty close to that, and I have the rest of the summer to improve a little more and be able to pull it off combined without the breaks. More importantly I have to focus on endurance and distance for my first marathon, but for once in my adult life I feel like I have an honest shot at breaking the elusive barrier into the teens...
running-smiley.gif

Way to go Tristan, looks like you have some dang fast miles in there!

1.68 mile barefoot tempo run. Averaged a 10:06 pace which I am happy with considering I am pushing a stroller and the first half of the run was downhill and the second half was back uphill. Felt great and my feet did not get tore up at all although a couple toes on my right foot got tender although there was no visible signs of wear or anything else. I kept having to tell myself to not grip the sidewalk with the toes and then the pain would go away. Hate it when I do that. I also did about 45 minutes of ST doing legs and back. Felt pretty good overall. Hoping next week will go smoothly so I don't have any interruptions in my workout routines. Kinda tired of missing workouts or cutting them short.

Hey Andy, are you doing your intervals on a track, and if so, why are you doing them by time rather than distance? I just started doing intervals last year, and will hopeful start doing them again today, so I'm curious about other people's approaches.

I just re-discovered the pleasures of grass a week or two ago. It's a nice alternative buzz to the hard stuff, no?

No, I do them on grass, simply because I do not have a track nearby and also want to give my feet a break, it is a great alternative, I agree !

I have moved from distance to time based interval simply because I believe what is important during interval is not the distance, but the time you stay in a certain heart rate zone. At the moment, for me, running at 4'30"/km, my HR only climbs to 80% of max. I'd like to reach 90%

Yesterday did some speed intervals. Probably overdid it. Well my right calf was getting tight on the last one, and was a bit sore afterward and this morning.
My speed intervals almost a month ago seemed to affect my calf muscle, too. Don't forget to heat and massage it and maybe not push the speed too much until it recovers. :barefoot:

This morning I got up a bit early (5:30am) to get a head start on the day but mostly to get in an early morning run. Tanked up on some water and waited for sunrise then went to the bike trails where I normally run and ran 4.5 miles. It was a fairly descent run but could tell I havent ran that distance for awhile. The temps were in the low 60's with calm winds. Planning the same for tomorrow morning. Worked out on the farm again today planting some buffalo grass, purple prarie clover and prarie coneflower near a patch of buffalo grass I started 3 years ago. Also worked on a tiller and then used father-in-laws tractor to till several areas for a garden. Did some weed eating too. Then called it a day and cleaned up and now my wife and I are preparing supper.

Good luck tomorrow on you race Laura!

This morning I got up a bit early (5:30am) to get a head start on the day but mostly to get in an early morning run. Tanked up on some water and waited for sunrise then went to the bike trails where I normally run and ran 4.5 miles. It was a fairly descent run but could tell I havent ran that distance for awhile. The temps were in the low 60's with calm winds. Planning the same for tomorrow morning. Worked out on the farm again today planting some buffalo grass, purple prarie clover and prarie coneflower near a patch of buffalo grass I started 3 years ago. Also worked on a tiller and then used father-in-laws tractor to till several areas for a garden. Did some weed eating too. Then called it a day and cleaned up and now my wife and I are preparing supper.

Good luck tomorrow on you race Laura!
Thanks. I was glad it rained here much of the day. It made it much easier for me to rest and not be too tempted by my garden.

friday:
about 1 hr in the pool, took it easier on my upper body since my shoulders were getting a bit sore, so did lots of kicking.
leisurely mile or so trail walk, half bf, half sandals. would have been all bf (the trail is nice but for a bit of root and gravel here and there), but forgot until the way back.

today: about to get dressed for a bike ride, promised myself i would do st before a road trip to visit relatives. lets see how well i can ignore chores and get that done.

Dear BRS friends, my first half was marvelous in many ways. Very competitive field, so I was only 8th in my age group of 22, but with a total time of 1:55, average pace of 8:50, and fending off severe calf cramps the last 2 miles and still managing to run to the finish, I am satisfied. I will write a more complete story on my blog on Tuesday for anyone who is interested. It was an interesting journey!

did little tune up run around the neighborhood yesterday. felt a piece of glass go in my heel so i sat on the curb and was impressed with my nails as i scraped away the skin and pushed it out. i then went to work and one of my nails ripped across the edge. this isn't the first time and now i need to figure out why this is happening when i used to have strong nails they've suddenly become brittle.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7