Mileage Reporting 14th Week of 2013

Yah, it seems like the equivalent of being 'chicked'

That made me laugh. I ran an 8km fun run on Saturday and got "Grannied" at the 7km mark. I had nothing left in the tank and had to watch her power away. She was a good runner!

Speaking of which, I did my 8km on Saturday, unfortunately shod because I'm still stuck on the 3km mark barefoot. I decided to dress up for a laugh, and went in with a red t-shirt and shorts, red headband, wrist bands and long red socks pulled up to my knees. I went out way too hard as it turned out - I started at 4:30 for 2km, then slowed down to 4:45 for 2, then 5:00 for 2, then 5:30 for the hilly 7th km. I almost walked, but you don't want to walk when you're dressed like I was, so I did a slow grind to the finish and remembered to smile while people went sprinting past. Not quite what I had planned, but it was fun.

Onto this week. I did a barefoot 3km on the beach in the rain on Tuesday morning and surprised myself by being a little quicker than expected. I'm starting to get to the point where I'm ready to push for a little more distance, but that's a subject for another rambling thread about over-thinking transitioning. :)

4 mi this morning. it was 16.someF on our outdoor thermometer and still dropping when I left the house, which strikes me as a bit obnoxious of the weather at this point in april, but no one in charge of these matters asked my opinion. Still air, though, so only my nose got a little cold by the end. I went to the lake out-and-back where it is much darker than around my neighborhood mile loop. just a partial moon, low in the sky, some stars. I think it was too cold for many of the spring morning critter sounds, but a few geese still managed to honk. By this time last year we had leaves on trees; yesterday evening, I had to look long and hard across the water at the trees in the distance to get just the faintest hint of yellow green color, signaling the larger buds.

"Grannied" at the 7km mark. I had nothing left in the tank and had to watch her power away. She was a good runner!
:D That gives me something to shoot for. I feel too old to "chick" the guys, but I can "grannie" them. I always get encouragement from race results if I beat more men.... :p

:rolleyes: When I run down by the river I'm chicked once in a while. Which is great, because it's always a young althete from the nearby UofM campus who leaves behind a lot of hindsight.
Hindsight is frequently perfect - right? ;)

:D That gives me something to shoot for. I feel too old to "chick" the guys, but I can "grannie" them. I always get encouragement from race results if I beat more men.... :p

I have no doubt that you already "chick" I mean "grannie" many, many younger male runners, that's for sure.

Well-put Ske! I'm on board with all that (except for the part about my distant cousins' death metal).

I guess I got a little spooked by last fall's nigglefulness, but I'm regaining the old confidence, now tempered with just a bit more age-related commonsense as well as a greater appreciation for the repetitive nature of running and the attendant necessity of a bit more prep and post-run attention. Guys like you and DNEChris are inspiring examples of what's possible.

Some inspiration for you Lee
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17765170

Reactions: Bare Lee
Six outdoor miles at lunch time. Windy but not as cold, nice actually.

2km today STG. Loads of gravely little rocks and grit on the road, also had to run through some snow melt puddles, dang they were cold. My daughter asked me to go for a run today, I had planned on a rest day but I am glad she dragged me out of the house. Ordered her a pair of EVO's today, she is just a little to vain to wear vvf's I got her a year ago.

10.4km with 14x400m intervals today, and it was pouring down.....Nice conditions for run though....I just realised that I will spend the IBRD in Switzerland (Geneva) but cannot find anyone running barefoot there (tried to ask on the french forum), so I'll run on my own :(

10.4km with 14x400m intervals today, and it was pouring down.....Nice conditions for run though....I just realised that I will spend the IBRD in Switzerland (Geneva) but cannot find anyone running barefoot there (tried to ask on the french forum), so I'll run on my own :(

If is any consolation I'll be running by myself also, so don't be sad.

40 minutes in the pool swimming pretty much 3 minute intervals. My new timer and stand are making it much easier to just swim and feel my stroke. I felt my arms in a good way today and think that next time I will be able to increase my interval time.

Swimming Tip of the Day: when you feel you are getting short on air, try breathing out a little harder while under water. It will make it so you can get more air when your face and breathing apparatus are above water. Whenever I do this, I find that I relax some and can go farther without a break.

Well, had my follow up apt with the podiatrist today. He's happy to see that my heel pain is gone but he thinks I may have a tear of the peroneal tendon, which is what is causing the pain. He pointed out the swelling to me that I had not noticed. Guess I have to take 2-6 weeks completely off and then we'll see how it goes from there. He said when the PT unlocked my heel and had me run, there is a big possibility that the muscles were weak from the locked heel which when I ran may have caused a slight tear. Man, is this crap ever going to end? Am I doomed to not run?

Well, had my follow up apt with the podiatrist today. He's happy to see that my heel pain is gone but he thinks I may have a tear of the peroneal tendon, which is what is causing the pain. He pointed out the swelling to me that I had not noticed. Guess I have to take 2-6 weeks completely off and then we'll see how it goes from there. He said when the PT unlocked my heel and had me run, there is a big possibility that the muscles were weak from the locked heel which when I ran may have caused a slight tear. Man, is this crap ever going to end? Am I doomed to not run?
Man, sorry to hear that. Can you walk in the meantime, or maybe cycle?

Oh man!
And no, you're NOT doomed they are all anoyances that will soon pass-hang in there!
I think swimming will be a better choice than biking imo.

Reactions: happysongbird
Man, sorry to hear that. Can you walk in the meantime, or maybe cycle?
First two weeks he wants me to do strictly nothing (no running, biking, or anything else would aggravate it more, and that means walking. So all this walking I did this past weekend, ya, it was actually hurting me more than helping). After the initial two weeks I can do as much as I feel I can do but I need to listen to my body and at the first sign of a niggle STOP. This sucks so bad.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
First two weeks he wants me to do strictly nothing (no running, biking, or anything else would aggravate it more, and that means walking. So all this walking I did this past weekend, ya, it was actually hurting me more than helping). After the initial two weeks I can do as much as I feel I can do but I need to listen to my body and at the first sign of a niggle STOP. This sucks so bad.
That's hard. I guess you'll have to sit and flex all your muscles while sitting down, like you are trapped in an airplane seat? And avoid drinking caffeine... Find something you like to do that you don't normally have time to do, to fill in your workout times? That is often what I do when sick or injured. I get a lot of sewing or writing done them. Hang in there.

Bench press marathon!
Seriously, it sucks, but it will pass. The good news is that you seem to be getting closer and closer to uncovering the underlying cause of your troubles.

I can still go to the gym and do weights, just nothing that is going to bother the peroneal tendon. I am apparently also not over this stupid sickness yet either as it has started coming back yesterday, even after the 10 day course of broad scope antibiotics. Ugh.

Didn't I warn you about antibiotics and exercising? You didn't listen to me, bad, bad, boy:playful:

Reactions: happysongbird
Oh Dama, I did listen to you. Very much so in fact. I was scared s***less I would hurt myself exercising while on them, so I didn't at all. It helped that I was really sick during this time to so didn't feel much like working out at all.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon