Mileage Reporting 14th Week of 2013

Honestly, if someone asks how far I've run in a day, I get about the same blank reaction whether I say five miles or fifteen. They generally don't have a conception of what it takes to go a distance, so I could also say "I ran a gajillion miles and wove a basket from kitty hair lint today" and it may have the same effect. Eyebrows raised in more confusion than accolades.
Yah, tru dat! No one ever believes the story about the kitty hair lint basket until you showcase it at a coffee klatch with tasty squirrel meat biscuits nested warmly inside . . .

My wife's reaction yesterday when I was limping around with painful soles after close to 16 km was a very concerned look and, "I never complained about the way you look." But health and fitness is only part of it. I need a little sense of adventure to be able to deal with settled life. Yesterday's blustery late-afternoon run recalled those days of a good hike and coming into a village inn for a warm meal afterwards. And now it's time to start thinking seriously about this silly thing called racing. Three weeks till my first 10K. Yippee.

One more thing... after all of the other hobbies I've had in the past such as working on my old cars and going to classic car shows I always wondered where all the good looking girls hang out and now I know. It at these races. :)
Ha! Nothing like the sporty gals! Nice report and nice time! It's great to have you on this forum.

Dicharry's book, Anatomy for Runners, listed several strengthening exercises to reduce injury.
Yah, the more I think about it, the more absurd it seems to me that runners run without doing any strength or mobility exercises to support it. I know it sure has helped me.

28.5 Trail Hike/Run. Solo and self supported. Another scouting trip for my future Zion Traverse. I'm beat, these trails were tough. Lots of sand. Shod for 13.5, barefoot for 10, and finished it with Unshoes sandals. Great Day.
Beautiful scenery. I'm extremely envious! Any need for a linguistic anthropologist on your farm?

Sounds like your foot is healing nicely.

Reactions: Sid and NickW
I ran 12.64 miles on Friday to wrap the week with 40.75 miles.

Headed out now to run with my "run spouse" and my Sunday running buddy...

....I need a little sense of adventure to be able to deal with settled life. Yesterday's blustery late-afternoon run recalled those days of a good hike and coming into a village inn for a warm meal afterwards. And now it's time to start thinking seriously about this silly thing called racing. Three weeks till my first 10K. Yippee.....
I am really missing the adventure of my youth lately. I guess every spring I go through this. I used to be out at the lake fishing 4-5 days a week back in Montana, plus camping nearly every weekend during the summer, and then a lot of hikes, not to mention my experiences in the military. My stepdad and brother and I usually do one really big hike/camping adventure every summer, but last summer my stepdad was not doing so well so we didn't go. Not sure if we will go this year either because my folks are moving to Phoenix, my brother is trying to figure out his life, and I am trying to finish school plus have a new little baby on the way and the wife will need more help when I actually have a break from school during the late part of summer. I did get my lifetime veterans fishing/hunting license this week plus a parking pass for all the state parks, so hoping I can get out fishing and hiking a little bit this year. I am going clamming in a month or so with my father in law. Really looking forward to that.

Lee, I've noticed you seem to have an addictive personality when it comes to exercise so I could see you really liking doing races. They are a lot of fun but I personally really don't like being in big crowds much. I prefer the smaller races where you can actually run without having to add 3 miles to your run with all the zigzagging of trying to get around people. Hopefully I will get healthy soon from both the ear infection still and the ankle and can start training for the warrior dash later this year that I'm already signed up for.

I am really missing the adventure of my youth lately. I guess every spring I go through this. I used to be out at the lake fishing 4-5 days a week back in Montana, plus camping nearly every weekend during the summer, and then a lot of hikes, not to mention my experiences in the military. My stepdad and brother and I usually do one really big hike/camping adventure every summer, but last summer my stepdad was not doing so well so we didn't go. Not sure if we will go this year either because my folks are moving to Phoenix, my brother is trying to figure out his life, and I am trying to finish school plus have a new little baby on the way and the wife will need more help when I actually have a break from school during the late part of summer. I did get my lifetime veterans fishing/hunting license this week plus a parking pass for all the state parks, so hoping I can get out fishing and hiking a little bit this year. I am going clamming in a month or so with my father in law. Really looking forward to that.

Lee, I've noticed you seem to have an addictive personality when it comes to exercise so I could see you really liking doing races. They are a lot of fun but I personally really don't like being in big crowds much. I prefer the smaller races where you can actually run without having to add 3 miles to your run with all the zigzagging of trying to get around people. Hopefully I will get healthy soon from both the ear infection still and the ankle and can start training for the warrior dash later this year that I'm already signed up for.
Yah, I hear you. That's why I'm hoping to move out West so I can go hiking with the kids when they get older. Cities have limited appeal for me. But Oregon must have lots of beautiful scenery too, right? Just got get through this period of early child-rearing.

I don't know if I have an addictive personality so much as I've learned that I do a lot better when I exercise an hour a day. A lot of days I don't really feel motivated, but I know I'll always feel good afterwards, and it doesn't take long for my insomnia to come back if I skip more than a day or two. Plus, since returning Stateside from Mozambique I've witnessed my father's physical health rapidly deteriorate, a good part of that due to his never having exercised regularly. So I'm highly motivated to avoid that fate if I can.

As for racing, I agree, I doubt I'll like running in a crowd. I mostly like to work out and run alone. Smaller races might be more my cup of tea, and there you're absolutely right they could become addicting, especially if I can continue to make improvements in pace and distance. On the other hand, it's hard to justify recreating without my family. I think on the whole I will continue to prefer having the exercise bit be a private, work-a-day matter, and spend my true recreational time with my family. I just got back from walking to the store with my toddler son, stopping every 10-20 feet to look at something. Much better than racing.

I realized it got pinned to the T shirt I was wearing underneath.
Apparently with the adrenaline rush and the loss of being able to judge my speed wearing the VFF's I ran faster than usual as my pace was 6:23 mm. Way faster than my usual 8 to 9 mm's.

After getting home and reading the race results page several hours after the race my wife noticed they made a mistake and placed me in the female category instead of the males and that I won first place in my age group in the womens category. :rolleyes:
:)
Lots of fun things to remember about this race! ha ha. Sounds like fun!

I don't know if I have an addictive personality so much as I've learned that I do a lot better when I exercise an hour a day.
There seem to be these "odd" descriptions that get tossed around for variations in personality and personal preference. Seems everything has a possible label that could be "treated." I've been called an "over achiever," which I hate, or "obbessive-compulsive" because I like things neater than some.(not everyone, I'm sure) I like to be busy and accomplish things. When I'm "labeled", I'm tempted to use a negative description as a comeback of their goals and personality. I'm not mad at you, Nick. Honest. Just a bit frustrated with the overall societal tendency to psychologically label everyone! Now - I'm off to be a squirrel, I mean, enjoy the day my way! :p

Danced for 3 hours last night to celebrate my 52nd birthday. :joyful: LOADS of fun. Everyone from a 25 year old fellow to a 90something man who was swing dancing with anyone who would have him, was asking me or my friends if I was a runner. hahahahaha. Got lots of comments (men AND women) that I was fun to watch and helped others "let go" a little and enjoy dancing. :) Noticed it was even easier since increasing my mileage lately. Confirms my opinion that exercising makes the rest of life more fun!

Danced for 3 hours last night to celebrate my 52nd birthday. :joyful: LOADS of fun. Everyone from a 25 year old fellow to a 90something man who was swing dancing with anyone who would have him, was asking me or my friends if I was a runner. hahahahaha. Got lots of comments (men AND women) that I was fun to watch and helped others "let go" a little and enjoy dancing. :) Noticed it was even easier since increasing my mileage lately. Confirms my opinion that exercising makes the rest of life more fun!

Happy birthday from another 50+ year old!

Happy birthday !! Just one year ahead of me !! Life starts at 50 :D

Reactions: happysongbird
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
You have learned what many do not learn no matter how long they live::::
HOW TO REALLY HAVE FUN AND ENJOY LIFE ALL THE WAY.

Good for you. I'm inspired.

There seem to be these "odd" descriptions that get tossed around for variations in personality and personal preference. Seems everything has a possible label that could be "treated." I've been called an "over achiever," which I hate, or "obbessive-compulsive" because I like things neater than some.(not everyone, I'm sure) I like to be busy and accomplish things. When I'm "labeled", I'm tempted to use a negative description as a comeback of their goals and personality. I'm not mad at you, Nick. Honest. Just a bit frustrated with the overall societal tendency to psychologically label everyone! Now - I'm off to be a squirrel, I mean, enjoy the day my way! :p
++++++++++++1

Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday Laura, sounds like you had a lot of fun!

I miss those multi-generational parties we used to have in Africa, everyone from babies to the toothless great-grandparents, even the token white guy (me). Last night we had a little dance party in our bedroom, with the kids up on the bed. "Gangnam Style" continues its dominance as the number-one requested song by our two-year-old son, who can imitate most of the signature moves. A real pop masterpiece. My daughter seems to be veering more towards Taylor Swift. I hope this phase doesn't last very long.

Fourteen glorious barefoot miles on Sat even if I ran against a 30 mph headwind the run itself was awesome at 60 deg weather. I closed the week with 37 miles.

Too may posts for me to reply individually but it seems like everyone had a good run.

Last but not least,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAURA!!! you're catching up with me on age-keep it up!

Welcome back Moka!