Marathon Dilemma?

I hope you go ahead and do the marathon! I have had a similar experience recently...... I signed up for the April Brighton (UK) marathon, last November 2011, it being my first marathon. As it turned out, due to a chest infection, night shifts and then a leg injury, I only managed a total of three runs throughout January and February. I wondered then whether to cancel and defer to 2013. Luckily, in March, I gave things one last go so long as my leg didn't give way again. I found that despite the time off, the fitness hadn't completely left me. Like the other folks have already said, it's a long distance so I kept all my runs, whatever the distance, to the same pace - no intervals, no speedwork, only whatever hills I came across on runs I did. I kept it to 3 runs a week, 6 miles,10 miles and the last being the long run. I managed to do a 20+ mile run two weeks before the race and then tapered down. I thought the biggest problem would be my feet lasting the distance but on the day, they were fine.

I am SO glad I didn't call things off!! The day itself was a wonderful experience and the occasion will get you through those miles. Whether you run it, walk it, etc, you won't be the only one doing so and you'll find all the support you need to get you though. So go for it, you'll be so happy you did - albeit tired, but happy!

I had the same dilemma last March 18, 2012. I also started our training last year October until I got injured last january. by february, I couldn't even complete a 21km run. But i still pursued. I dedicated the rest of the days prior to March 18 as recovery time. Until I hit the big day, i changed my running strategy.

I used Jeff Galloway's technique but in a conservative way. I used 1:1. (1 minute run at 8:00min/km and 1 minute brisk walk. After reaching halfway, my ITBS showed up again so I just walked the whole second half. Well, i finished it eventually and was barely able to walk after crossing the finish line but I'm proud of myself. I didn't gave up until the end!

So the full marathon was canceled on the Friday before because of a forecasted temperature of 96 degrees and high humidity. We were allowed to run the half marathon on Sunday instead and were given a 20 credit towards next year's race. In hindsight, I probably would not have been able to finish the full marathon (or at least in the weather conditions that I ran the half marathon in).

My gf ran the entire event in her Luna Sandals and I ran the first 4 miles in mine and then ran the last 9.1miles completely barefoot. In a field of 6,000 half marathoners I was the only one in a Sport Kilt and barefoot. I received a lot of stares, glares and a fair share of compliments. Many people were shocked and pointed.

My GF didn't get injured during training like I did so she was in much better condition and would have been able to finish the full but as a result she pushed the pace in the first half much more than I could handle in those conditions. The heat really took its toll on me so the last 4 miles were pretty tough. Overall, the feet were great and held up just fine. I was not a fan of a few of the sections of road. One span of the road was slitted and it felt like I was running on a cheese grater. Another section of road had crosswalks that were spiked and gritty like really rough sandpaper or ceiling tack and I was not a fan of them. Overall, I enjoyed the event and had a lot of support from the other runners and crowd. I saw quite a few other minimalist runners (vibrams, merrells, NB minimus) but no huaraches or barefoot besides us.

This is us right before the finish line.166063_3764799170836_954418593_n.jpg

Maybe it was just meant to be that the marathon was changed to a half.

((BTW, I couldn't make out anything else in the picture except the chick wearing the shoes and yellow shorts in the middle... Your girlfriend? You're a lucky man!)) - heh

Congrats on the half! How is the "injury" doing?

Cheers.

Reactions: Barefoot_AK
No problems left from the injury except a side effect from not running for almost a month. I would say in that injured time span I lost a lot of my functional range of motion that I had pre-injury that I gained during my initial transition stage. Right now my calves feel like they are transitioning again slightly. This problem is getting less and less noticeable and is fading with every run.

Thank you for the compliments on the gf ;) I will let her know she has more fans than just me :p Thanks for the support you guys too.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7