Maffetone Method...what's your experience with it?

Ok, Ive got a few minutes

Ok, Ive got a few minutes now. So as promised heres my take on Maffetone.

First off, its not so much just a training method as it is a way of life. Yes, a big part of his book "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing" (aptly named!) is over running at a heart rate that places you at or around your maximum aerobic function level, but its only 1/3rd of the book.

Maffetones main focus is on health, then performance. He doesnt believe in sacrificing a runners health in order to achieve performance. Optimal health combined with optimal training will yield better results than anything. He starts by saying that you must manage stresses in your life. Stresses come in many different forms, mainy psychological, physical and health.

Psychological stress could result from a number of things such as stress at work, at home, at school, or anything like that. If your mentally stressing out over an issue it causes changes in your bodies chemistry that causes damage. These damages do alot to harm your aerobic system. Most of the scientific reasoning he provides as proof of this has made its way out of my small peanut sized brain and has been since replaced with the thoughts of boobies, aliens, and sea creatures that feast on bread crumbs, but the important part stuck in my head. Eliminate stress from your life!

Physical stress is just that, physical stress. Running, lifting weights, physically demanding jobs, yard work, and basically any type of physical activity puts stress on the body. Of course you cant eliminate all of these, but you can find ways to significantly lower the levels of stress incurred by many of these. This is his "controversial" area to most people. Most people says that using his method of running by heart rate makes them run too slow and theres no way to get anywhere doing that, but in truth its an imbalance within the individual. There are 2 ways to run (no, not shod and BF...) which are aerobic and anaerobic. I personally would venture that 95% of runners run anaerobically. This is where your body is using eaten sugars (glycogen) to burn for energy production. This also puts the most stress on the body as it releases the same type of bad chemicals as the phyicological stresses mentioned above do. Running aerobically will burn stored fat for energy, and who doesnt want to burn that stored fat? Not only is it less stress full, and therefore less damaging to your body physically, it also doesnt release the bad chemicals (dont ask for the name, Ill just start talking about fish people that live in ancient hidden citys burried miles beneath major US cities where they enslave worms to do their evil biding...) that aid in the bodily damage. So if your able to run a 6:15 mile running all out, but when running at your aerobic HR your at a 14:30 pace (ME!!!) its not because his method is bunk, its because your imbalanced. Your aerobic / anaerobic fitness levels are out of whack and you need to correct it ASAP! This is why most runners crash and burn after just a few years of running. And as far as running at an aerobic HR being "slow", consider that Mark Allen (6 time Hawaii Ironman champion) could run a 5:00 mile AEROBICALLY!

The health part is I think the biggest part to the whole thing. If you eat poorly, then your sacraficing performance. His eating habbt reccomendations are basically no processed carbs, and lots of healthy fats and protiens. Lots of nuts, eggs, fruits, veggies, and other natural foods. Its pretty much an Atkins / Paleo hybrid. The goal of it is to convert your body into a fat burning machine instead of a sugar burning machine.

All 3 parts are very vital and important, but I think that the diet part is the most important.

I havent finished the book yet. Theres still alot to read, most of it being about understanding what your body is telling you and even a decent sized section about running BF.

Now Im running out of time, so Ill post my personal results up later. But to summarize everything, I think it works if you let it.

It is probably worth noting

It is probably worth noting that he doesn't necessarily advocate a low carb diet as much has he advocates finding your carb balance. I like this because usually "one size" fits all type talk is one of the 1st signs of someone being a hack. He also includes lots of testimonials and results to back up his claims.

You guys are sparking my

You guys are sparking my interest in the method of running/training. The only set back for me is I will never run with HR Monitor, unless I needed it for medical reasons. I bought a garmin a few years ago, that's the extent of my technology when it comes to running. I run by feel. If I feel like going fast, I go fast. If I have time to go long, I go long. I keep it simple.

But I am interest to read about the life style change, running stress free, and the diet parts.

Chaser those are all great

Chaser those are all great points. I will argue that two of those points should apply to all runners anyways as these ideas have been around for quite some time. I don't believe that Maffetone is the one who figured out diet and mental and physical stresses affect excercises and aerobic activity, but I may be wrong. For me that's been a known for a long time and that's why I assume runners are already trying to take care of those two things and I only brought up the heartrate part.

I forget that not everyone has been an athlete for the majority of their lives like I have and doesn't have those two other things down already as common sense. Growing up I was a football player, state champion wrestler, state champion boxer, cross country runner and as I became an adult got into weight training, mixed martial arts, cycling, and now barefoot running.

I have firsthand experience that proves that you can keep going for long distances at a higher pace even at a high heartrate. When I did the Seattle to Portland bike ride I avg'd a 21mph pace and finished in close to 10 1/2 hours in one day. This is a 204 mile race. My heartrate was around 180-185 until the last 30 miles when it just plummeted down to 140's. I was still able to keep my pace at this heartrate.

Now keep in mind that most of my life has been without a lot of technology and I have always trained with high intensity and low intensity. I think you need both. Now, my low intensity it turns out since I've joined the modern times and purchased a heartrate monitor (last 5 years) is still too hard by Maffetones guidelines. The funny thing is, I was running at a slow conversational pace and not gasping at all or having any problems and felt I could run forever at that pace. I had to slow down to a 15min/mile pace to get into Maffetones guidelines, I can walk faster than that, and this slow pace actually caused even more pain for my body. Oh as a sidenote, my heartrate when running only changes about 15-20 beats per minute between high intensity and low intensity. (this is not counting just sitting around as obviously that is going to be a big difference)

Now despite this, I do think we should work on keeping the heartrate down, I think there are a lot of plusses with that and I think that it is much better for your health and body to do the low heartrate training, but I also believe that our ancestors had to learn how to run both anaerobically and aerobically. That's why our bodies do both. If you only train one side you're creating just another imbalance in your body.

This is my two cents and I hope to not have offended too many of you.

BG I have a similar issue. My

BG I have a similar issue. My wife bought me a garmin forerunner a few years ago, and it was the best one at the time minus the HR monitor. She spent a good chunk of change too. It works well I would hate to have to replace it or wear two electronic devices. Hmmm. But sounds like its something I should at least read and I agree the diet and lifestyle changes sound like a good plan. Its hard for me getting away from all the processed carbs... I've known and beleived in those diets for a long time but never could follow them very well. The wife has a lot harder time too, and she does most of the grocerey shopping! My diet growing up was mainly deer and what came from the garden. Cross country was the first school sport I ever did and in the first year I was into the 18's with a weight around 135# I think it was. Skip forward after being married, lots of stress, eating out waaaay to much, and tons of processed crap, I tipped the scales last year at 190 and my 5k times were nearly 30 minutes. Since getting back into running and trying to eat healthy some of the time, I'm down to 170 and 23 minute 5k. Still a long ways to go...

Tristan, sounds like you are

Tristan, sounds like you are on the right path for sure!

Some say I am overly picky on what I eat, I have always been conscious of eating right, even when I was younger. But I love carbs!! I can pizza every day, and down a nice loaf of italian bread in one sitting. I eat healthy but you need to enjoy the foods you like. My motto is everything in moderation, life is too short to totally deprive oneself.

Nick, Im sure Maffetone wasnt

Nick, Im sure Maffetone wasnt the first one to discover any of these items, nor has he been the first or only one to put them all together.

I too have been athletic throughout the majority of my life. Soccer, track, and cross country untill I was out of highschool. Then weight lifting for a few years. I wasnt untill I was 22 or so that I stopped and had taken about 4 years off untill I started really running again.

So I think a situation like yours, where there had been no lomg breaks, the person maintains a higher level of fitness (obvisouly) but also doesnt need to necessarily apply this type of method to themselves. In "TBBOETAR" he says not to use this method on younger atheletes because its not worth it (IIRC...). So I dont see why it wouldnt hold true to someone like you who never lost that level of fitness.

Do you need to consume lots of fuel while on long runs / rides?

Oh, and the HRM is very simple. You just put it on, set your HR range on your watch and run. When your watch beeps at you it means your HR is too high, and you need to relax.

I think you have to be very

I think you have to be very careful when tinkering with restricted diets, the no processed food method has worked for me in loosing weight, but now I have reached my target I’m happy to indulge in some luxuries. The problem I now have is maintaining weight, even though I eat like a horse.

I don’t even own a watch, let alone a heart rate monitor, I just run to how i’m feeling on any given day.

I was reading a book called ‘RUN’ by Dean Karnazes today where he quotes George Lucas, saying ‘We all live in prisons with the doors wide open’ This is how I view any restricted type dietary plan, ideal, philosophy, medical quackery etc. If it puts you in a box you sure as hell should remember where the opening is.

Because we are talking about life changing habits and principles here I would suggest taking things slowly, change one thing at a time, if something works for you great, if not, move on.

Also remember that these types of plans can often effect others close to you, and not always in a good way.

?

Chaser, I actually had about

Chaser, I actually had about 3 years off and then the last year have been trying to get back on so to speak. I had two back surgeries in the last four years and at one point I couldn't even walk without a cane. I put on about 40 pounds of fat and really lost all cardio. A little over a year ago I was told I would never walk or run again without pain, and it was strongly recommended that I give up trying to run because I would just cause more damage to the vertebrate just above my fusion. About 7-8 months ago now I found barefoot running and it has changed my quality of life dramatically. No more back pain what so ever.

Now, I will say that I am trying to run easier and train my body to run with a lower heartrate, but my body doesn't seem to want to change much as far as heartrate, although running is getting much easier for me again, not fast like I once was but I'm hoping as the weight comes off my pace will increase. I do wonder how imbalanced my training in the Army made me. I learned how to push my body far beyond what I thought was possible. It's a mental toughness I think that keeps me pushing more than physical toughness, not always a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised to find the fast twitch muscles were trained to go much farther than what is normal, causing the slow twitch to become like my feet a year ago, atrophied.

As far as rides, I rarely would use gu's or gels, they would upset my stomach, but I did use Infinite Nutrition for my drinks. Not even sure if they are still around as a company now as it's been 4 years since I last ordered from them. I used them more for the electrolytes and staying hydrated though than calorie intake. If I do use anything I am partial to the shot bloks. For seem reason they don't upset my stomach and are easier for me to ingest. On the Seattle to Portland ride at 100 miles in I thought I was done. I didn't eat right before the race and I was bonking hard. I stopped and ate a bunch of watermelon and then took off and was good for the rest of the race. Not sure what it was with the watermelon but that was like a wonder food for me. Picked me back up and I was able to finish really strong.

I don't really have long runs now so I really only drink water. My longest right now is 7 miles, but I am slowly building back up. Will be up to half marathon next summer and full summer after that. I'm in no rush to increase mileage and hurt myself, I'm lucky to be running right now as is. Not sure if I will ever get into Ultras or not, but I may do some duathalons in the future.

Damn Nick! Lol. Deffinatley

Damn Nick! Lol. Deffinatley take it slow and easy...

For me, I used to do my training runs at a decently hard pace for me with the thought train fast = race fast, and I was always tired after a run. If I did a 13 mile run in the morning I would be worthless for the rest of the day. Now Ive done up to 26 miles all aerobically and felt great afterwards. I also did that on an empty stomach and only had water while running and never hit a wall or felt a crash.

Sorry for the long

Sorry for the long responses. I've been told I am wordy. Question, if anyone knows, would the Seattle to Portland bike race which is 204 miles be considered an Ultra in the cycling world? Would make me feel pretty cool if it was. Not trying to hijack this post, just curious.

I've got no experience

I've got no experience training with the Maffetone method but I did go out for a really fun run today at a comfortably slow pace:

13.21 miles

2hrs (and 22 seconds)

AHR 120

MHR 128

It was fun - even though the conditions were decidedly damp!

Tristan, yes. TBBOETAR is a

Tristan, yes. TBBOETAR is a good book, its the one I got. A wee bit too scientific for my dumbass... But thats just me.

+1 on TBBOETAR, read about

+1 on TBBOETAR, read about 1/2 of it, and whenever i have a question it's pretty easy to look up specifics. Definitly covers way more than the "guy who is getting off the couch and into shape" needs, but I like having more details than i need rather than less. Knowing the differences between brainwave types is cool, but isn't going to make me any faster!

Nick, if you need any proof

Nick,

if you need any proof that maf training works, think back to sunday. normally i would have been slowing down the further in the race i got. this time i sped up each mile and i went anaerobic for the last.

like anything new it's hard at first but gets easier. i'm still waiting for it to get to the pace i started the race with. hopefully it will get even faster.

Ive been using the Maffetone

Ive been using the Maffetone method for about 3.5 months now. Before I started, my training runs were usually 3~5 miles ran around 7:30~8:00 per mile depending on how I felt.

My first Maffetone run was embarrasing to say the least, and I had to take multiple walk breaks. Without looking I think my time for a 5.14 mile run was like 1:17:XX. Yes, thats right, ONE HOUR, SEVENTEEN MINUTES for a little over 5 miles.

But I stuck with it. The first 2 or 3 weeks sucked, and my MAF tests (slightly modified from Maffetones version) were ugly.

After just 3 months I ran 6 miles in under 60 minutes. So I added a mile and dropped almost 20 minutes. In just 3 months! The best thing is that I havent really been eating all that great. I would be willing to bet that if I were to start eating right, I would see tremendous gains and improvements. Unfortunatley Im in a love affair with Oreos and dutch chochlate Blue Bell ice cream.... The best combination EVER!!!

Nick, WHO would call YOU

Nick,

WHO would call YOU wordy??? :D

Mike,I never said it was a

Mike,

I never said it was a bad thing, just not the end all be all. Oh on a seperate note, I looked at the race results from Sunday, you were only 7 seconds ahead of me, I had almost caught back up to you! Dang it!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7