Kids running barefoot

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Dr. Mark wanted to share this cute video with the BRS members:
Attached is a fun video of kids running barefoot....slow it down in quicktime. This is what it is...how kids land when you take their shoes off. Share and use for educating folks in a fun way. Are these kids smiling...yes! This is called empirical (observational) evidence that kids land in a barefoot style when you take their shoes off....even shod West Virginians not born in the Rift Valley raised barefoot. My 2 kids are in the tie dyes. Both are barefoot lovers. Leo in orange visor age 8, Lily in the heart shirt age 6. I'm in the blue shirt. Leo was watching this last night and doing his own gait analysis and said "ouch...heel strike". I told him he was likely proprioceptive heel landing as he was rolling along pretty quick. This is the true roots of the bottom up revolution where the people drive the change....not the health care establishment. Start with the kids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hH-iQz2Ztdk

All you can say is AWESOME!!

All you can say is AWESOME!!

Awesome. I remember when I

Awesome.

I remember when I joined cross country as a kid (I think I was 13) and the couch assigned us a certain amount of running for practice. I didn't have any "suitable" shoes and ened up going out for my first few runs barefoot. Didn't think about form or anything but it felf fine nonetheless.

The couch caught wind of this and repremanded me and told me I HAD to get a good pair of "trainers."

Thus began over a decade of knee and ankle problems whenever I tried to run. =(

One of my sons, who is almost

One of my sons, who is almost 9, runs barefoot with me. He's up to 6 miles now. :bigsmile:

He loves it.  I bought him

He loves it. I bought him some VFFs, so he could run with me at night, but he hates them. He just wants to run barefoot, like his mommy. Hee. My little one is always begging to come along. It will be nice to have him with us when he's a little older. Won't that be a sight to see?!

My 7yo has started playing

My 7yo has started playing with no shoes on, riding his bike, playing in the sandbox and all the other fun stuff barefoot. He wanted a pair of vffs for his birthday but had then almost totally trashed a month later.

Bill

Barefoot TJ wrote:One of

Barefoot TJ said:
One of my sons, who is almost 9, runs barefoot with me. He's up to 6 miles now.

Six miles? WOW! I've still never run 6 miles.

And he enjoys it, right? Otherwise he would'nt be doing it. What a great influence you are on him!

lucky yous. my daughter has

lucky yous. my daughter has amazing form, with shoes on, and i can't get her to run with me. she's 14 now and entering high school. i want her to run xc but know the coach would likely make her get some terrible shoes. besides, she doesn't want to do it.

Mike

Angie Bee wrote:wow TJ that

Angie Bee said:
wow TJ that is an awesome distance! I wish my older sons would run with me more.

I think it might be a part of our homeschool time this year :)

Angie Bee,

Are you aware that Deacon Patrick does that with his daughters. I remember he posted about it at one time on Barefoot Ted's Google Forum. If you'd like to check out his blog post on it here it is, http://www.mindyourheadcoop.org/blog/?p=1276

Gracia y paz,

a

My son is super boney, has a

My son is super boney, has a runner's body. Lucky him!

I just asked him if he likes to run barefoot, and he said, "Yes, with you." Hee. Sweet. Then he added, "I like to ride my bike with you too." Lucky me!

So cool!  I want to get Doc

So cool! I want to get Doc Mark to put together a running sound track! His vids always have the craziest, coolest music!

My kids both play barefoot when they can. My son is usually just rippin around the neighborhood in shorts...he's 4. My daughter is 7 and usually barefoot or flip flops. It hurts me to watch her run in shoes! I gotta get her some Vibrams or something similar for school soon...

-Jonny

I bought my soon the be 9

I bought my soon the be 9 year old son a pair of VFFs (Women's size 38), but since my soon to be 5 year old son's feet are growing quickly, I decided to get him a pair of water socks (that look really nice, actually) for school. He's in PK-4. He's been wearing those everyday to school, and they actually look cute on him.

This is another site that had

This is another site that had a good start but has been dormant for too long.

http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/ (parents for barefoot children)

Maybe a section in the BRS could fill that void too.

My daughter just turned eight

My daughter just turned eight and we regularly run a mile and a half on the weekends around a local lake. I normally use it as barefoot time and she does some but normally runs in her vibrams. I love the talks we have while running.

It is nice, isn't it EL?  It

It is nice, isn't it EL? It seems my son brings up questions, he normally wouldn't be asking me otherwise, and it gives me the time to talk about things I otherwise don't have time to. He's like my captured audience, and I am his.

Yes, running is my best

Yes, running is my best parenting tool. I took my 4 year old for a half mile today. I did 1.5 more miles and she turned off for the playground. All in the pre-hurricane rain and she kept up the whole time.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon