INTERESTING UPDATE -- Vibram FiveFingers shoes and the annoying people who buy them

harrino wrote:Abide my

harrino said:
Abide my understanding is that when walking one should have a heel strike - at least that is the view of Prfessor Libermann. This he discussed at the talk/presentation he gave as part of the NYC barefoot run weekend. He said that the type of motion one has when walking is totally conducive to heel striking and is in fact better that way.

I really have to disagree with him here. Now I'm not a scientist and really only know three barefooters (myslef and my two boys) so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think the most natural way to walk is landing on your whole foot. I know that there have been studies that show heel striking is more efficient, but I don't believe a true barefooter would ever heel strike. In controlled surfaces we can get away with heel striking without causing pain. However it is extremely difficult to walk comfortably and long on rocky and uneven terrain while heel striking.

Just to clarify your heel can touch first, but once the weight comes down I think the whole foot should be in contact with the ground and your weight be distributed across your foot.

The heel touch first is

The heel touch first is considered a heel strike, no? I hate the whole word of strike people use when referring to walking...and when referring to a middle or forefoot. I prefer to call it a plant or a landing, not a strike. Heel striking is something you do in boat anchors.

My experience as a full time

My experience as a full time BFer is consistent with Abide's opinion...even when I was referring to "taiji" walking in a thread a long time ago, where the heel lands first, there is no weight on the foot or leg until the whole foot is down, and then a conscious weight shift...but in everyday walking, I land softly with the whole foot...of course, if other body types land heel first and it works for them...who am I??

Barefoot TJ wrote:The heel

Barefoot TJ said:
The heel touch first is considered a heel strike, no? I hate the whole word of strike people use when referring to walking...and when referring to a middle or forefoot. I prefer to call it a plant or a landing, not a strike. Heel striking is something you do in boat anchors.

Technically, but in my mind there is minimal force extered on a touch, whereas a strike would have more force. Part of it is the position of the leg. If the leg is fully extended and you land on your heel that is what I consider a heel strike. If your leg is bent and then your heel touches it allows for time to get the whole foot down.

I agree with the thinking,

I agree with the thinking, but my point was to state what most people classify a heel strike to be, heel first, regardless of the force.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7