Incoming Noob from Oregon saying HI!

And I'm glad to be here :)

I've been going barefoot all my life, but never in public. That was until middle school, when a couple of friends and I were goofing off during lunch. We were bored (and also crazy) so naturally we decided to come up with dares to make the boredom go away. We were outside in the fields when we were doing this, and there was a track to our left where a P.E. class was doing their daily warm-up.

One of my friends got the bright idea to ask if any of us would be willing to run around the entire track barefoot. Of course, nobody was. Nobody except for me. I always wanted an excuse to be barefoot in public, so without really thinking twice about it, I decided to shed my shoes and socks and run that track like it was nobody's business. As soon as the P.E. students left for the gym, that is.

I managed to make it halfway through before the pain became unbearable. Thankfully, one of my friends brought me my shoes so I could finish the rest of it. But yeah, long story short, my calves and knees were throbbing for a few weeks, and I never went barefoot again.

That was until a few weeks ago. I take regular walks around the neighborhood park now. Barefoot of course. And I'm making sure to take it slow this time!

I haven't exactly gone barefoot anywhere else, and I'm not sure if I want to... but who knows? Baby steps! Thanks for reading, and I hope to meet some fellow Oregonians out there :)

Welcome Veil! I am in OR too and there are quite a few of us. I don't go pure barefoot all that much anymore but I still wear my lunas nearly everywhere. Occaisionaly we have get together runs so sign up for the OR chapter so you can get notifications of the group runs.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
That's a great story.

My sister used to run track barefoot in middle school. I had always thought it was because we were poor and couldn't afford the name-brand shoes the other kids were running in, but she told me, finally, just a few years ago that she ran track barefoot because the dirt on the tracks back then was gritty (Southern California) and she could get better traction barefoot. I was looking at some pictures of her running barefoot not too long ago, and I saw that there were a couple other girls running barefoot too. I guess "those were the days."

Hi - former OR Chapter Prez here. Ya, 6 months ago is when I had one of many nervous breakdowns and had to put someone else in charge. Though I am feeling better, I am feeling a distinct urge to slam the door shut in many areas of my life, so it is unlikely I will reconsider Prezidency. That being said, I will talk to my successor and see what he thinks of throwing it open to the wolves, uh, I mean group and see if someone else is interested in being perhaps vice president or co-president. I would not make a fun president anyway, as I am looking at a couple months of building back up to running.

Welcome, BTV. SLow and steady is the way to successfully transition to BFR. As you may have noted, sprinting barefoot around a track with no prior experience might not be the wisest transition plan. I tried a similar plan and stress-fractured the 3rd metatarsal head in my left foot, which slowed me down for a good 10 weeks. On my second try, I went slower, shorter, and less often while I built up my feet, conditioned my soles, and extended my Achilles'. Worked much better. Glad to have you with us.

Reactions: dharmadan
Oh, and I am starting all over with BAREFOOT HIKING, which is what I should have started with the first time around!

Reactions: dharmadan
Oh, and I am starting all over with BAREFOOT HIKING, which is what I should have started with the first time around!

Jen, You are a GEM! Take good care of yourself and feel free to grab some of the hug energy I'm winging westward to you...or not - no pressure!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts