I'll Be Back

I am smiling, Board.  I think

I am smiling, Board. I think it's neat that you've got your dad staying busy. It's bound to be healthy for his mind too.

Still putting in 12 hours a

Still putting in 12 hours a day on the report and legal matters and taking care of all the bounced automatic payments and such but the good news is they are getting ready to arrest her. The amount now is in excess of $100,000 and in FL elderly exploitation over that amount is........a capital offence!

Of course she won't get the death penalty, but one can dream.....

Life w/o any chance of parole is an alternative, but if she is really ever brought to justice there will be a plea bargan to 2'nd degree felony instead.

As a person of the Jewish faith I have always been disturbed to hear the phrase " Jewed 'em down" used, and as a result I have tried to avoid using the term "gyped" since it has it's roots in the word Gypsy, which is a real live ethnic group.

I always tried to get people to use a less perjorative term like screwed, or f*%^ed, or anything but gyped.

The authorities now know her real identity, and believe it or not she was born, raised, and still lives in a true Roma Gypsy "family" clan. She also personaly ownes a few homes that were deeded to her by non-gypsy eldery men.

My dad got GYPED out of over a hundred grand, but looks like I moved in just in time.

Hoping to run soon.....barefoot.

Good luck, Board.  You have a

Good luck, Board. You have a lot to deal with. I hope you get some boarding and flying in too!

TJ it's be a while, but like

TJ it's be a while, but like I said...I'll be back!

definitely a Mitzvah... and

definitely a Mitzvah... and good luck... *HUG* I can't imagine that one, but hopefully they'll get her for this and she wont' be able to do it to anyone else

Our youngest son reminded me

Our youngest son reminded me that before too long he'll be doing all this for me.

Not sure whether or not that should make me feel better.

Some people get pi$$ed when

Some people get pi$$ed when you talk about shoes in a barefoot running forum, so I guess all of this will be as far off topic as one can get but I'll justify the post by remembering that Gypsies did have a long standing tradition of being barefoot while living amongst shodsters. Almost makes me want to take up shoe wearing!

I spent the better part of 2010 proselytizing barefoot running, now I have two additional causes: Reminding people to watch for early signs of Alzhiemer's and other dementias as well as for Gypsy scams.

This warning is not to scare people, but to remind everyone how prevalent and dangerous these scams can be:

http://fraudtech.bizland.com/senior_alert_letter.htm

This next one is a link to TV news story that shows clearly how one business person may be willing to give up a quick buck in order to do the right thing, while another is able ignore the obvious scam: http://www.nwcn.com/archive/61203312.html And this, from 2005, the same clan that got my dad (his Gypsy was from the Williams clan) And here we thought spammers were a threat!

01-15-05, 10:34 AM

Ring ranged from Upper Darby to Florida

THEY ARE YOUNG, beautiful and filthy rich.

And cops say these sexy sirens made their money the old-fashioned way: by stealing the hearts of lonely old men.

Their trap was a brilliant one, and it almost always worked:

They turned on their charm. They visited and called their new elderly friend. They went to dinner and to lunch. They chatted away their loneliness, and even talked about their victims' dead wives.

Then, crying crocodile tears, the young vamps told these vulnerable men that they were very sick - so sick that they only had weeks to live.

One woman curled up on a couch feigning pain. She said only a miracle, a new liver and hundreds of thousands of dollars would save her.

And, for years, police say these women, some of whom lived in Philadelphia, all related by blood or marriage, have pocketed millions of dollars from vulnerable widowers to pay for their lavish homes, cars and jewelry.

Cashing their checks at a Center City check-cashing agency, they used the money to buy waterfront homes in South Florida and mansions in North Jersey.

And here's the best part of their evil scheme: many of their victims were too embarrassed to call police.

Police suspect that the women may have victimized dozens of other men.

One of the darlings, a woman known as "Cooter" who worked as a fortune-teller out of a parlor near 3rd and Market streets in Philadelphia, has been arrested, along with two other members of the gang, for allegedly stealing $314,000 from an 75-year-old Upper Darby man.

Sandra "Cooter" Anderson, 28, Paula "Peaches George" Marion, 29, and the man who helped run the operation, Sonny Stanley, aka Al Tan, 22, were charged in September with theft by deception and criminal conspiracy in connection with the scam.

But their alleged scheme soon unraveled, as detectives in Upper Darby and Philadelphia tracked the checks cashed in Philadelphia to victims in several states.

Six women have been arrested and a seventh is being sought, police said yesterday. Police say the members of the group told them they are part of a clan of Gypsies. The leader or "king," as police call him, often arrives with a bundle of money in a suitcase to help bail out those who get caught.

They often pay just enough restitution so that the charges are dropped, and then move on to other victims, police said.

All of the suspects have been released on bail, police said.

Just this past week, a check from another elderly victim was cashed at the same check-cashing agency in Philadelphia. Police have not named the agency.

"They have done this for years and pass this skill down to others in their family," said Philadelphia Police Officer Louis Sgro, an expert on Gypsy crime.

Sgro, who helped crack the case by linking it to about a dozen other similar crimes, said the women hang around shopping centers where they approach elderly men who are alone and not wearing wedding rings.

In Florida, they've used lines like "I used to know your wife's nurse," or they knock on widowers' doors, saying they want information about the neighborhood.

"It didn't hurt that they were pretty," said Capt. John McGinnis, commander of Philadelphia's Major Crimes Division.

"These men, out of the goodness of their hearts, gave these women their life savings," McGinnis said.

One of them, Meyer Ginsberg of Delray Beach, Fla., admitted he was duped.

"I was a little vulnerable," Ginsberg, 87, told a Florida newspaper last month.

He explained that he met Rosanna Stanley just as he came to the eight-year anniversary of his wife's death.

Stanley and another woman asked to borrow $250,000 for an operation. He gave them $20,000.

"I gave them the minimum, [and] I'll put it to you like this: I didn't call the police," Ginsberg told the Sun-Sentinel of Fort Lauderdale.

Stanley, of North Miami Beach, and Gina Stanley, of Hollywood, Fla., were charged last month with defrauding Meyer and four other Palm Beach County men out of about $2.2 million. All of the men's checks were cashed by Sonny "Mandingo" Stanley in Philadelphia, police said.

None of the Palm Beach men said anything to authorities until they were approached by investigators. Detectives in Florida figured out the scam after a Florida man was going over his dead father's estate and found three checks for over $200,000 that had been cashed in Philadelphia.

The victim from Upper Darby also does not want to be identified, said Detective Lt. George Rhoades of Upper Darby police.

"His family doesn't even know he is a victim," Rhoades said. The trio posted bail and returned $100,000 as restitution to the victim.

Rhoades said suspects in these kinds of crimes are tough to keep in jail, because they use different names and travel up and down the East Coast.

"They are like ghosts, you can't get a hold of them," Rhoades said.

He credited Upper Darby Detective Charles Missimer with helping to break the case.

According to the affidavit, the Upper Darby victim told police in July that he had been scammed by two women, one of whom claimed she needed $314,000 for a liver transplant.

The woman, later identified as Anderson, said she needed to have it in two days because the perfect match donor only had two weeks to live and she needed to pay for the operation to lock in the donor.

She wept, and showed the man a letter from a doctor which detailed the cost, the affidavit said. The victim agreed to help her, and in exchange, she agreed to pay him back using the proceeds from a real estate transaction she was waiting to complete.

A week later, the victim called Mount Sinai Hospital in New York to check on the woman's condition. He soon learned there was no operation and no woman by that name at the hospital.

In addition to Anderson and the Stanleys, others charged in connection with the case are Lisa Rico, 33, and Sabrina Williams, 43. Susie Williams, 31, is still being sought.

I'll send this info to my

I'll send this info to my mom, Board. Thanks! She's 75 now, and apparently, Alzheimer's runs in our family with two documented patients and one possible. Who will take over the BRS for me? Okay, when I start wearing shoes again, you guys will know I've lost my mind! :-( Just trying to make light of a very sad situation, for us both.

Back at last!Dad's FL condo:

Back at last!

Dad's FL condo: cleaned, secured, shuttered for the season. Comps going for $25,000. We'll hang on for now.

Dad's Detroit house: cleaned, junk hauled away, keepsakes in a giant pile, ready for son to move into in a few weeks when he starts his new job based at DTW. He'll possibly rent out a few rooms to other newly Detroit based pilots.

Dad's meds: stabilized. general health: stable.

Dad's taxes: DONE!

Dad's financial matters: ongoing.

His bedroom in our house: feels like home to him.

and last but not least..........Arrest warrant issued two weeks ago.

Arrest attempt: A week ago Tuesday. Suspect's family claims she's no longer in Broward County.

Yesterday 2:00 p.m. Dade County: GYPSY ARRESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

First Degree felony....extortion of an elder in an amount greater than $100,000 .

Yes, unfortunatly there was more we discovered.

I'm celebrating by trying to make it to the Ann Arbor IBRD event. I should be able to run a slow 5K and get back in training soon.

Wow glad to hear things are

Wow glad to hear things are coming together for you and your family. I am amazed that they were that successful catching her. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the work you have been doing.

I had to put the information

I had to put the information in their laps and contact them daily and still only was succesfull despite all that because my attorney put pressure on the FL attorney general to push the Broward county sheriff to pursue it.

Scammers have it made, most are never even reported, and the ones that are never even make it through the official report phase.

I am glad things are getting

I am glad things are getting done.. and you are right about the legal system being hard on this situation.

What a stressful time for you

What a stressful time for you and yours Board. I feel for you all. Glad they got the beeatch!