I prefer running alone.

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
Am I odd?

I have friends that want to run with me and I put them off. I have a local running group but I prefer to be alone, headphones on, running at my pace, walk if I must, pee without someone talking about their wife. Etc...

How about you? Do you enjoy people that just don't shut up when you want to relax and run.

Another thing, (Couldn't see

Another thing, (Couldn't see how to edit the OP) several of my friends always turn a run into an event and by the time it is done it was all about speed. I am so not about speed. I learned a long time ago that I was not setting any records so I just gave up the competition idea and run for the passion of running.

I hear ya scooter!  I'm very

I hear ya scooter! I'm very similar, but without the music :) I prefer the silence. However, I have two very good friends I run with in the mornings on work days, and it's not at all competitive, and it's a way for us to have some good conversation, obviously, we are not working on "speed" when running and talking our 3.5 -- 6 mile run :). When I'm home, running in the woods....it's just me, and that's what I like. For me, if I ever "compete" it will be because I want to see where I am, not to judge myself "worse than" or "better than" anyone else.

Most of the time, I like the

Most of the time, I like the solitude of the run, but once in a while, I like to run with friends. I love our Georgia meetups when we are all running along a trail single-file and jabbering away. I get you though. I wouldn't like it if they were all about competition and speed. That would be a big turn off for me, and I'd have to avoid running with them in the future too.

I've never really had the

I've never really had the chance to run with anyone else. I'm a turtle for one, and it's hard to find anyone else as slow as me. Also I'm an at-home mom, so I I have to run at rather odd times when :davie: is around to stay home with the kiddos.

At yesterday's 2 mile race

At yesterday's 2 mile race there were a ton of U.S.Army cadets wearing a different color number and no D-tag.

I found myself at the rear of the starting line with an Army gal older than the cadets, and as we got started she was hanging right next to me wanting to chat.

Two miles is their standard physical training distance, so they showed up as their own group in their own non-timed division.

As I sped up as the crowd cleared and I was able to, she hung with me still. Once we started passing cadets that had started near the front and/or unable to stick with their too fast of a starting pace, she yelled at each one " Way to go Smith", "Keep up the hustle Williams", etc.

I found it very entertaining and motivating once I realized I was running and chatting with the drill sargeant!

My lungs didn't really keep up with my legs, so talking became harder and eventually she must of thought I was not the social type, but from my limited running experience I'm guessing my vote as of now would be to run with others and keep the chatter going.

You haven't run with me yet,

You haven't run with me yet, Mrs. :davie:.

I like running with others

I like running with others just because it keeps me honest. Much too easy to call it quits once a niggle or two crops up. If I'm with someone else, more then likely I'll suck it up and just keep running until they call it quits.

I like to run alone most of

I like to run alone most of the time. Its my little break from the chaos of raising kids and working. I especially like to do my long runs with my music and nothing else. There is something very refreshing about being alone with my thoughts for a few hours. I come back physically exhausted, but mentally refreshed.

No you are not. I was born to

No you are not. I was born to run alone.

I played basketball, baseball when young, high school and some college, I love team sports. But one of the reasons I love running is it's a complete solitude activity. It's my time away from people and daily life. I don't even run with music, I have done 20 milers without music.

Doesn't mean I won't run with somebody, if asked.

Being new to running and

Being new to running and having only seen three other people run in my town in the last four months or so, so far my runs have all been alone. Sometimes with music, sometimes without. I am hoping that once we get moved there will be a group I can join. I think it will help keep me motivated, especially when life gets super busy.

i'm in the opposite position

i'm in the opposite position as i'm forced to run with people and talk my butt off. people pay me to coach and sometimes on a good day i get paid to pace someone through a race. my best tool to help in pacing is to talk to these people and keep their minds occupied so they dont focus on the distance or the speed as much. when i run by myself i feel like i'm supposed to be talking but there's no one there so it feels kind of awkward.

i will admit that i enjoy a solo run though as i can just settle in and do my own thing. i get about one of those a week but the rest of my running is usually with a client or a friend who is trying to get better by following my plan.

I'm alone 99% of the time, no

I'm alone 99% of the time, no headphones for me, either, and that's really how I like it. Yet, sometimes I do steer my runs toward areas where I know there are runners and walkers around, just for the company.

It's a rare person who can run with me without getting non my nerves after a while, lol. I'm attracted to people with inner peace, the kind who can stay quiet for hours at a time. Virtually every runner or group I've hooked up with over the years has had the patience of a housefly and I just quit the "team" after a few attempts.

I did organize a running group last year. It started out good, with about ten people, but fizzled down quickly to me and two others. They were both pretty serious about running and also more the solo-type. Winter hit and we went our separate ways...

That is true, Abide.  Running

That is true, Abide. Running buddies are good for moral support.

I've been hooking up with

I've been hooking up with friends for runs more often lately. Mostly since I joined BRS and "other forum". I just want other people to like barefoot running as much as I do. I think I may have even made a convert.

It's not really that I enjoy runnng with others though. I'd rather not. But I gotta get in my barefoot good deed somehow.

today i wished i was alone

today i wished i was alone on a run as my student finished our run feeling better than i did. first time that has ever happened. to my defense i have been recovering from heat exhaustion from the past two days. should not have been running in the first place but business is business. finished the run and i was dizzy and weak and he wanted to keep going....oh the pain of having someone witness my weakness

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts