How to train for a barefoot marathon in two weeks?

Tough but interesting task.  

Tough but interesting task. What was the longest run you did, and when? You obviously won't taper so I am thinking for the first week make it a decent high mileage week, through a long run in there, maybe 16 miles? Then the second cut back.

I would say just have fun with it, start off slow! and keep a nice steady pace. Good luck!

Freeyourtoes might be able to

Freeyourtoes might be able to help you out with this one, he's apparently been in the same situation.

I did 15 miles about a month

I did 15 miles about a month ago with a couple of other long runs before that.

Yeah I was thinking of doing a long run this weekend and getting in around 50 miles total. And then only doing 3 short runs the following week.

I'm more concerned about my feet holding up, hopefully the long run will get them ready.

In my experience Abide, if

In my experience Abide, if you can run 15 barefoot with no problem, you can probably run 26.2. I would carry some huaraches or other "rescue shoe" just in case, because after a lot of high mileage you never know what kind of terrain will mess up your feet.

I would try to get in another long run pretty quick here the 14-16 mile range, and then do as much of a taper as you can the rest of the time.

Who knows if that will work, but it's about all you can do.

Oh, and Freeyourtoes ran the marathon that he did with me. He only ran around 12 miles barefoot, and the rest in huaraches. But he didn't have nearly as much of a barefoot base as you did. Longest barefoot run was around 4 miles or so I think.

I was all ready to chime in

I was all ready to chime in with "no, don't do it," but then I saw it was Abide. Having never run a marathon, let alone a barefoot marathon, I think all the advice above make sense. Yay, groupthink!

SillyC wrote:Or shove some

SillyC said:
Or shove some socks in your waistband.

I just saw the "Or shove some socks in your" and I was wondering how the bulge was going to help haha.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Silly.

I wasn't going to give this

I wasn't going to give this the saypay seal of approval either until I saw it was you also Abide. It's not just because you're a dumbass (hehe...). It's also because you have enough experience barefooting that you can probably pull it off.

I think you can do it Abide,

I think you can do it Abide, you are not going to break records or anything but it is possible.

Just keep in mind that if you go the socks route be careful because once they get wet when going thru the water stations you might get a blister or two.

YOU CA DO IT ABIDE!!!!

... the socks fool no

... the socks fool no one!

Yeah, I'll join the crowd that would have yelled "Don't do it - it's a trap!" for any new BFer, but figures Abide will know if he needs to call it before 26.2. As long as the possibility of a DNF doesn't stress you out, I say, have fun, take it easy, let us know how it went.

g.

Just imagine there is 10

Just imagine there is 10 million waiting for you at the end. All you have to do is touch the line!
There are lots of plans out there that have long runs no more than 2 hrs.

Cheers

Have fun and be silly.

Have fun and be silly. Smile for all the photogs and make sure and stay very fueled and hydrated.

Clif gel (or whatever gives you some fast fuel) at 5 miles

2 or so shot blocks on mile 8

gel on 10

shot blocks on 12 or 13

gel on 15

shot blocks on 18

gel on 21 and a shot block on 23, 25 and 26 (this is what I did anyways)

make sure you have plenty in case you need even more than that. I wished I had another pack of shot bloks.

nuun all the way. I drank 4 bottles of nuun and 2 bottles of water and still needed to hit up a race aid guy on a bike for 5 salt packets to go with my water.

I never hit the wall and didn't train super hard for the marathon. Stick to your fuel and hydration no matter what.

Most of all have fun!

Oh and take lots of pics to post!

Yeah, go for it!  My

Yeah, go for it! My contention is that the truly fit person only needs two weeks to ramp up for any reasonable endeavor (marathon, century ride, sprint tri, etc). Now, if you were talking an ultra, double-C, or an ironman, that might be a different story ;)

Angie how in the world do you

Angie how in the world do you carry all of that? I'm having trouble planning two beer stops.

I think I'll finish, but marathons really kick my ass. Actually anything over a half marathon take their toll on me. I can already picture me gimping the last 6 miles with my glutes completely cramped up. Since it is the rock n roll marathon maybe I'll just stop and pretend I am watching the bands every mile or so, even though I am really resting.

I will also admit to being a

I will also admit to being a bit worried when I first saw the thread title. I'm pretty sure that someone would just end up losing thier feet if they tried to run a marathon in their first 2 weeks of barefooting. You've been barefoot long enough that the distance is the crazy part, not the lack of shoes.

Good luck with you Marathon and training Abide. I would definitely recommend some back-up shoes, just in case your feet start to get kinda tender. Pretending to watch the bands sounds like a good plan.

But, man, Abide... don't look

But, man, Abide... don't look at is as training for a marathon for two weeks. It's like you've been running "Week 12" of any random 18 week program for months now.

It might be worthwhile to try to stay on the yellow and white lines straight from the beginning rather than gravitating there near the end of the race.

Yes I was in a similar

Yes I was in a similar situation to yours. My longest BF run was around 4 or 5 miles and longest run ever was 9 miles prior to the marathon, but being in the Army I would say that pretty good shape. My biggest worry was not completing the marathon, but getting blisters that would prevent me from enjoying the run so I brought along my VFF incase I got blisters. And of course I ended up getting one on the side of my foot from running around the slower people trying to catch up to saypay. I think that if the course was not so crowded I probably could have made it another 6 or 8 miles before putting something on my feet. I was feeling pretty good at that point. As long as you go into it not trying to break any records or setting your goals to high, you should be fine. My goal was just to finish the marathon, I didnt care about my time. I would just bring something to put on your feet incase you need it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts