How to add Sprinting to Training

Stoplookinatme

Barefooters
May 20, 2012
I run about 20 miles per week currently, upping it a little each week. I have been working on building base doing most of the running at an easy pace and it has been helping a lot to decrease my 5k times. I have also been doing resistance training and plyometrics.

I want to continue to improve my 5K times and I think adding sprinting will help. I have some questions about adding it that maybe some of you can answer:

1) I read that you are less likely to get hurt adding sprinting if you do it more days a week than less. I read that you may want to do something like 6 sprints X 6 days per week. Do you agree with this? I was planning on doing 5 days plus 1 day of plyo and of course one rest day.
2) Will an easy long run still work to build your arobic fitness if you add some sprints in directly after or later that day?
3) The bottom line is this, if all of these things are good, how do you combine them to maximize peformance without injury: plyo, running, sprinting, and resistance training?

Thanks,
Jim

Reactions: Antonio Madriñán
I run about 20 miles per week currently, upping it a little each week. I have been working on building base doing most of the running at an easy pace and it has been helping a lot to decrease my 5k times. I have also been doing resistance training and plyometrics.

I want to continue to improve my 5K times and I think adding sprinting will help. I have some questions about adding it that maybe some of you can answer:

1) I read that you are less likely to get hurt adding sprinting if you do it more days a week than less. I read that you may want to do something like 6 sprints X 6 days per week. Do you agree with this? I was planning on doing 5 days plus 1 day of plyo and of course one rest day.
2) Will an easy long run still work to build your arobic fitness if you add some sprints in directly after or later that day?
3) The bottom line is this, if all of these things are good, how do you combine them to maximize peformance without injury: plyo, running, sprinting, and resistance training?

Thanks,
Jim
Hello, I think first you build a foundation on which to work, I have to train 5 or 6 days a week is fine, but what are you going to increase the miles you do, I think a good number of miles may be between 30 or 40, after reaching that number and the speed you can work without fear of injury, making a day a week sprints of 200 and 400 meters.
What do you think?

Reactions: Sid
Antonio,

Is it still advised that you don't start any speed work until you have a good weekly miliage base and have held it for some time?
Help me understand why many people recommend waiting until you have a good base before doing any type of sprinting work? I don't understand why sprinting wouldn't make your legs stronger and less likely to get injured.

Jim

Antonio,

Is it still advised that you don't start any speed work until you have a good weekly miliage base and have held it for some time?
Help me understand why many people recommend waiting until you have a good base before doing any type of sprinting work? I don't understand why sprinting wouldn't make your legs stronger and less likely to get injured.

Jim
The problem is not in the legs, is found in the muscles of those who are not prepared to exercise a job as traumatic, because the sprints are very harmful for that reason, for the muscle to work at peak performance has to be very trained. Would you be able to run 100km without training?

A good base, a guarantee that things are going well

Reactions: Sid and DNEchris
I might suggest a modified approach. Hold off on pure sprints, but begin adding in 440 and 880 intervals about 1-2 mm (1-2 minutes per 1.5 km) faster than your steady run pace. Also, running up hills is a great way to begin recruiting the muscle fibers you'll need for sprinting. I don't know about Europe, but in the USA, most endurance runners work on distance first, then pace, whereas the Kenyans, the world champs, work on pace first then distance (http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/canova-101?page=single). And high mileage brings its own risks of injury, because you're exposing your joints to more repetitive stress. Ideally, I would suggest a mix of long steady runs, to build endurance, tempo runs, to build stamina, and intervals, to build power and to develop the neuromuscular system. You also have to factor in age. If you're relatively young, you could probably do two faster runs per week, but if you're middle-aged, you might want to limit yourself to just one hard workout per week.

Edit: Here's a good pace calculator for various training distances: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/
Also, be sure to read his descriptions of each kind of run and their purposes.

Reactions: migangelo
If you are looking at 5k improvements I would do like Lee suggested and do 400's and 800's and some temp runs. I'm sure if you google, you could find some good 5k training plans that include speed work components in them. And you don't need to run 30-40 miles a week. You can be a damn good 5k runner doing the weekly mileage you're doing.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Bare Lee,

I do like the mcmillan training paces and the explanation of how the different energy systems work. I just finished a 12 week plan i put together to build base using the ss, easy, and long run paces and i took a lot of time off so far, something like 1.5 minutes off my 5k.

So why is it that short sprints, like 100 yards, are not used. Is it that the risk of injury is so high or is it that 440 or 880 yard up tempo runs are so much more benificial.

I just finished a book yesterday that said it was better to combine the different training elements on one day and take the next day off to let your body build. That brings up another question, at what point should you run 5 days per week instead of 4?

It seems like there is so much conflicting information out there and it almost becomes trial and error.

Jim

Once you start running fast, the surface will start tearing off your skin, if it's a track or pavement. I run pretty fast and I've spent several months working on way to prevent peeling.

Bare Lee,

I do like the mcmillan training paces and the explanation of how the different energy systems work. I just finished a 12 week plan i put together to build base using the ss, easy, and long run paces and i took a lot of time off so far, something like 1.5 minutes off my 5k.

So why is it that short sprints, like 100 yards, are not used. Is it that the risk of injury is so high or is it that 440 or 880 yard up tempo runs are so much more benificial.

I just finished a book yesterday that said it was better to combine the different training elements on one day and take the next day off to let your body build. That brings up another question, at what point should you run 5 days per week instead of 4?

It seems like there is so much conflicting information out there and it almost becomes trial and error.

Jim
Yah, I think a lot of it is trail and error. I like reading up on what the pros do, but it always has to be adjusted to our more humble goals and abilities and time constraints.

I think sprints are fine. It's just that I would work up to them, unless you're already in pretty good shape. Your impact per step will move from two times body weight to 3BW or more, so you want to make sure your joints and tendons are primed for the greater load. Your rate of adaptation will also depend on your age of course, and previous athletic experience.

I began doing intervals last September. I run on a high school track of sandy gravel. It took me a few weeks to adjust to the greater abrasion, but I was fine after a while at around 7mm pace for my 440s. This spring I'll start doing intervals again and when I feel ready for it, I'll probably start incorporating some 40-yard wind sprints done on the field at the end of the workout.

I haven't read about anyone training all three modalities--[1] endurance/aerobic fitness, [2] stamina/using lactate as fuel, and [3] speed-power/neuro-muscular development, in the same workout. Most of the pro trainers seem to advise having a specific purpose for each workout. You could try a progression run though, where you start out at your LS pace and then gradually increase speed. Another possibility is to finish the last mile or so at race pace.

As for when you're ready to run more days a week, I don't know. I try to run three real runs a week, but then on my off days I like to do what I call 'micro-runs' of less than a half mile, just to keep my legs loose. I read that Ryan Hall restricts himself to two 'quality' runs per week, the rest is just volume, but then people like Canova emphasize less volume and more training at your race pace. Canova trains world champs, so I would probably go with him. Determine what your race pace goal is, and then train at least once a week at that pace, doing cruise intervals or something.

Keep in mind that all this is just stuff I've read. I'm a very mediocre runner myself with no race experience!

SLAM, my advice to you is to resist the urge to go faster for its own sake, and to focus on quality and sound building practices. You're talking 5k races here, not ultras. You have lots and lots of room to develop, both in terms of experience and your "instrument." If you're determined to court injuries, feel free to throw all sorts of sprinting into your mix. Otherwise, go gentle.
I think Lee's gradual integration of tempo and such into regular runs is much more the way to go. Also, I'm an every-other-day runner myself, and still took 10 to 12 minutes off my 10 Mile and Half Marathon race times last year. I don't expect to duplicate that this year. Actually, I'll be delighted to just come close to those times this spring. What I won't do, though, is hurt myself trying too hard for "faster.".

It is a complicated issue, each athlete is different, what is clear is that one has to be sure that your body is physically capable of withstanding the sprint, with minimal risk of injury.

Reactions: NickW
Conventional wisdom says that more padding is necessary to reduce stress on the body and therefore we should wear shoes, especially ones with padding. However, I would say that most on this site do not buy that. There have been thousands of books written about running and I would make the assumption that people, who are serious about running, read a lot about it from the so called experts and despite that, 75% of them get injured per year. One book I read says that you should never incorporate any type of speed work until you have been running at least 25 miles per week for one year, because otherwise your body will not be ready for it.
I used to think that it was better in lifting to not push too hard and was conservative about increasing weight until I could do at least 12 reps. I recently found out that unless your brain gets the signal that your muscle has a temporary failure it will not significantly change the number of active, wired, contracting cells or change the composition of them to make them stronger, which equates to marginal improvements.
To me fast maximum effort sprinting may be the same thing. Is it not possible that sprinting may make us less injury prone by the added stress signaling to the brain that the muscle, tendon, bone needs to be stronger? It was my thought that you would see form improvements as well. I read that the injury rates are similar among slow and fast runners, so that tells me that you don’t avoid injury by holding back. What do you guys think?

Jim

Conventional wisdom says that more padding is necessary to reduce stress on the body and therefore we should wear shoes, especially ones with padding. However, I would say that most on this site do not buy that. There have been thousands of books written about running and I would make the assumption that people, who are serious about running, read a lot about it from the so called experts and despite that, 75% of them get injured per year. One book I read says that you should never incorporate any type of speed work until you have been running at least 25 miles per week for one year, because otherwise your body will not be ready for it.
I used to think that it was better in lifting to not push too hard and was conservative about increasing weight until I could do at least 12 reps. I recently found out that unless your brain gets the signal that your muscle has a temporary failure it will not significantly change the number of active, wired, contracting cells or change the composition of them to make them stronger, which equates to marginal improvements.
To me fast maximum effort sprinting may be the same thing. Is it not possible that sprinting may make us less injury prone by the added stress signaling to the brain that the muscle, tendon, bone needs to be stronger? It was my thought that you would see form improvements as well. I read that the injury rates are similar among slow and fast runners, so that tells me that you don’t avoid injury by holding back. What do you guys think?

Jim
I agree completely. You really need to train all three components of running fitness. When you run fast or up hills, you're recruiting maximum muscle fiber. Once that fiber becomes used to being activated, it can be trained for endurance and stamina.

And like you say, it's the same with weights. If you want to become strong, you gotta lift the heavy stuff. Then if you want to improve your stamina, you should do HIIT or circuit training.

Without the right stimulus/stress, you won't get the right adaptation. On the bench press, for example, when I can do 3-5 reps comfortably, I know I'm ready to add 20 pounds, for 1-3 reps. If you don't sustain the stimulus, you stop adapting. Nothing wrong with just maintaining though. It all depends on your goals.

Finally, I'm also with you on the form issue. Everyone has better form when they run fast. Your body will try to maximize efficiency in order to maintain a faster pace. It doesn't experience the same physiological and biomechanical stressors at slower paces. Running economy gained at faster paces can then be applied at slower paces. Personally I notice a break at around 9 mm pace. It's right around there, which is basically my lactate threshold, that my form becomes smoother and I don't really have to think about it. When I run 7-8 mm pace, I feel even better. My goal for this year is to be able to run an hour at 8mm pace.

As far as injury, I've read the best predictor of running injury is volume, not pace. A lot of people get injured in crossfit type functional fitness programs too, because they haven't learned good form. When you lift heavy weights, you gotta have good form or you're not going to lift anything.

But most importantly, even really experienced, physically gifted runners get injured when they make sudden jumps in volume or pace. I think that's the number one factor. It's all got to be done gradually because there's so much repetitive stress involved in running, and so the damage can be cumulative, and you won't even notice it until it's too late. I learned this the hard way a couple of times. Now I do try to do everything gradually, and hold myself back sometimes when I feel like I could do more. There's always tomorrow, or next week, or next month. The gains will come as long as you're consistent, and the only way to be consistent is to remain injury-free.

For speedwork, again, I think you just need to build up to it, just as with heavy weights, but there's no reason to have a set time period before you begin. It all depends on your prior fitness and age. Run faster than you do now for, say, a 440. Then next week run two 440s or more. Then run the same number of intervals at an even faster pace the following week. And so on. I think as long as you take a gradual approach, your body will be able to dictate the rate of increase without risking serious injury. In my own personal experience, the two "runner's injuries" I've experienced--ITBS and an MCL sprain--have come while running slower paces, so I don't think speed in and of itself is much of a risk factor. As with distance, it's how you apply it.

I want to continue to improve my 5K times and I think adding sprinting will help.

What are your times now? Are you talking about dropping thirty seconds or three minutes? If you're already competitive, improving 5k times can be pretty tough.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7