How skinny is too skinny?

Rusinque

Barefooters
Jan 19, 2012
houston, texas
I will be 17 in a few days, 6 foot zero, and about 130-ish pounds. BMI is 17.6 I believe.

As long as I can remember, I have been mocked about being too skinny. But then again, I have been mocked that I can literally eat an entire chicken(Cooked), no seriously...its been done before.
So I was wondering if you guys could help me out by telling me if im too skinny.
Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

How I eat:
Morning: Cereal, fruits, yogurt.
Afternoon: Meals usually either pasta, chicken or meat. With rice. Always eat rice.
Dinner: Could be either leftover of Lunch, or meat with rice.
In between: Fruits, water or juice. Maybe a sandwich from time to time.
All meals are home cooked by either myself or my mom. She likes to add veggies to everything.

How I workout:
On average: 3-5 kilometers a day.
Always bring water with me.
Sometimes barefoot, sometimes huaraches.

How I look:
Note: Pictures taken after run. If that matters.
2sabk3n.jpg

x0pjcn.jpg

What does your doctor say? What do your parents say?

One of my brothers was always very lanky and boney growing up, then when he got into his late 20s/early 30s he really filled out.

You look fine to me. That's about how I looked (and that's how I ate!) when I was your age. Now, at 57, and carrying at least 50-60 extra pounds, what I wouldn't give to get back to that. So, enjoy it while you can. It's not hurting you, and as you get older you'll gain a lot more that you'll wish you hadn't.

As long as you feel healthy you're fine. I was 5'8" in high school and weighed maybe 95 lbs. I was a runner and I was healthy. What are your genetics like, thin parents?

I started High School at 5'8" and about 120lb. I finished High School at 5'8" and 140lb. The extra weight was muscle that was added on from running. I have weighed as much as 170lb since then and am now back down to 145lb. (trying to get back under 140lb). In High School, family always said I was too skinny (120lb or 140lb). People just aren't used to seeing healthy people, especially runners who are usually thinner than most. But I never heard them complain that I didn't eat enough. I could eat an entire half-gallon of ice cream in under an hour (I once tried to finish one in 30min, but got brain freeze).

Also, you listed what you ate, which sounds healthy, but you didn't list how much which is even more important.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Most people don't really fill out until they are in their twenties. I was a buck twenty maybe thirty in high school. When I was 23 I was up to about 150. By the time I got out of the Army at 28 I was 180 pounds of solid muscle. Everybody is different and unique. If you look on one of the other posts on here about peoples training schedules, you'll see there is a ton of skinny people on here. Everyone has their height and weight listed and I am definitely one of the heaviest on there. I wouldn't let anyone bother you when they say you're too skinny. People used to poke fun at me too with that and say I had chicken legs. o_O

Don't worry about it. Check back in when you're 32.

One of my half-sisters actually had her 15-minutes of fame for being about as skinny as you, yet able to eat ungodly amounts of food. And I mean a LOT, all the time. Go out for pizza with her and she'd have a whole pie for herself where everyone else would have two slices, plus a lasagne and two desserts. She ate all the time, was on the cover of the National Enquirer sitting behind a huge buffet spread. The pic looked like an exaggeration but it was really what she'd eat in day.

No explanation for the phenomenon, either. But she eventually grew out of it and became... normal.

I remember going to the Doc in the Army with shoulder pains. Her advice: "put some meat on your bones". That just wasn't possible for me at that time. I couldn't build up muscles, either, and I tried hard, was always pumping weights, but no results.

Then I turned 32... now I 48 and the world looks a lot different.

People just aren't used to seeing healthy people,

repeated for emphasis. I mentioned in another thread that a doc was amazed at my level of fitness from a stress-EKG. But then you take a look at the people in his waiting room and think... yeah, compared to what? Standards have slipped over the past few decades.

Reactions: rbondi
I agree with everybody above, I am slightly shorter at 5'-5" and a cool 125lbs at 41 years old, I was always lean and trim in high school, usually around the 105 to 115 mark (played a lot of sports and was very active), but was considered skinny by some. In my 20's during my military stint I was up to 150 to 160 lbs of muscle, and honestly found it uncomfortable. Now that I have settled back into my rhythm of activity I bounce between 120 and 130 lbs (depending on my level of running - training for ultra or just enjoyment running). If you are eating healthy and excercising properly (which it sounds like you are), and you are happy with you then don't fret it one second. :)

i was 125 when i was 17 at 5'8". i've put on quite a bit since then and don't think i could nor want to be there again. they call it the freshman 15 when kids go to college but i put on 10lbs after high school without going. i was working out, first time in years. you'll put on weight but you have to be patient. do some body weight exercises to help build some muscle because at this point in your life it won't happen faster than now.

My nickname in high school was 'Snap' because I literally looked like I might break in half. I used to eat tonnes more than my friends and no-one had any idea where it all went. When I got to university, I must have left my metabolism at home because I started filling out and began going to the gym to actively control my weight.

If you give it a couple of years, you'll probably fill out too, like most people, but if you don't I wouldn't worry about it. With your body fat percentage, you will look ripped if you start doing weights!

Having a low BMI is only an issue you if have some serious medical condition or just don't eat (also if you are old it can be an issue). But you sound like you are very active and have a good appetite so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

bmi is only good for insurance companies. get your fat % measured. worry more about how you feel than look. i mean physically as well as mentally.

My husband was 6'0" and 135lbs when we met at 25 years old. Now he's 31 and 175lbs. Just sayin'

You look fine for a 17 year old, healthy young man. From my casual observation, most men don't really fill out muscularly (unless they are overweight/obese) until they are in their early 20's. If you feel weak, dizzy, bottomlessly hungry or in any other way "off" see your doctor, but if you're running, sleeping, doing ok at school or at work and feel good overall, don't worry!

Reactions: Rusinque and NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7